Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gift from Clean-Car God or Nightmare from scratch devil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 07:30 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Gift from Clean-Car God or Nightmare from scratch devil?

One of my least favorite chores in owning a black car has always been washing it when it's not too dirty, only dusty. I confess, I have a garage queen that gets dusty by just sitting there. I don't use a car cover because it's only good right after a wash, and using it after a drive may drag the dirt over the paint.

I have just found this potentially amazing car wipe from Armor-All that may be the answer to my prayer https://www.armorallwipes.com/?mid=8971171

I read a lot of skepticism online, but am perplexed by its promises of an easy cleaning solution to my dusty car problem. I would only use it to rid of the dust accumulation, and would wash the car when dirty.

What are your thoughts? If it is so bad, then why are there so many positive reviews?
Old 07-27-2017, 07:54 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Rinse it if you can, rather than going overboard with a car wipe (who knows what is in that), then dry it and hit it with detailing spray.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:06 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

nothing in life is easy, except keeping a black car clean
Old 07-27-2017, 10:20 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

If it is just dust, I use my cordless leaf blower to blow the dust off.... In fact, that's how I dry my car after a wash ... no touch, no wipe.... but I do have ceramic/glass coating on the paint (or whatever that's call) so water just fly right off... no water spot
Old 07-27-2017, 10:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

I much prefer ONR (Optimum No Rinse) which truly is an advanced dirt encapsulator with high lubricity:

1 - Rinse the car.
2 - Prepare a 1 gallon ONR solution, damp 5/6 MF towels in the bucket.
3 - Wash one panel at a time with each dripping towel folded in 1/4s, keep using fresher sides.
4 - Dry with waffle weave and a dry agent.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:51 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:38 PM
killacam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I much prefer ONR (Optimum No Rinse) which truly is an advanced dirt encapsulator with high lubricity:

1 - Rinse the car.
2 - Prepare a 1 gallon ONR solution, damp 5/6 MF towels in the bucket.
3 - Wash one panel at a time with each dripping towel folded in 1/4s, keep using fresher sides.
4 - Dry with waffle weave and a dry agent.
+1 for onr. It's what I use in the winter when it's too cold to do a normal wash.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:02 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by killacam
+1 for onr. It's what I use in the winter when it's too cold to do a normal wash.
The procedure I set above is a normal wash. It just does not need (at all) a final rinse. It still has a pre-rinse.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:11 AM
Kaenned
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't use wipes on a dirty car. Wash it thorougly and apply a really good wax afterwards. I use Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax which i can highly recommend. When the car gets dirty or dusty, you simply spray it with a waterhose and blow the remaining standing water of with a compressor, or if you really have no other option, dry it with micro fiber towels. Dust and dirt will fly right of.
In most cases the car sort of cleans itself when ever it rains as the water simply runs straight of while collecting the dirt on the surface, but I use this trick when it needs a bit of extra touch up. Basically, you don't need anything else but a good car wax.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 AM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Im same like you.
Not my DD and drive it on good weather days only.
I use the California Car Duster
Cleans off the dust. Doesnt scratch the finish.
My routine takes about 15 mins.
Dust lightly with California Car Duster
Clean windows with Invisible Glass
Quick rim wipedown.
Car looks fresh and clean in minutes.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:55 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

Thank you for your input. Of all the ways described above, leaf-blowing the dust off seems to be the easiest.

I also use the red California duster sometimes, but it feels greasy and leaves a lot of lint on the car.

I will give Optimum no rinse a try next time. I seems a bit easier than a full car wash.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:28 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerf4i
Thank you for your input. Of all the ways described above, leaf-blowing the dust off seems to be the easiest.

I also use the red California duster sometimes, but it feels greasy and leaves a lot of lint on the car.

I will give Optimum no rinse a try next time. I seems a bit easier than a full car wash.
The leaf blower gets off some of the dust but doesn't do a good job of getting off the fine stuff

My 15 yr old duster does a great job and never leaves lint. Don't know how old your is but mine gets better with age. Have never noticed any micro scratching

ONR is not really any faster than a full wash. It works great in cold weather but if its warm, I just wash it (but I do add some onr to help with the lubricity). With onr you are still wiping down and drying every panel, just like washing
Old 07-31-2017, 06:41 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I use a California Duster and Griot's Garage Speed Shine for weekly touch up. Every couple months or so I'll wax with Meguiars Gold Class paste wax. I try not to use a hose because once you get the car wet you are committed for a couple hours drying it off chasing water spots.

I know this process makes all the concours wienies cringe but it's got 125K miles and IDGAF. The car gets driven. Rock chips build character.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:03 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 732 Posts

Pressure washer, Meguires wax car wash with mitt, rinse, California (jelly) squeegee to take off most of the water, single waffle towel to remove the rest. 20 minutes.

Griot's Garage speed shine for detailing.

Black Fire wax every 4 to 6 months.

Once a year strip it down, polish and seal and wax and spritz.

And yes, the rock patina makes the car look real. I had a front end respray when the windshield was replaced due to sandstorm damage. The front no longer matched the back. 75 miles later on the frunk lid (ignore the dust, the paint really is gorgeous) ...

Do I laugh or cry? At least I no longer have to worry about that first scratch anymore.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Gift from Clean-Car God or Nightmare from scratch devil?