Sponsored by:

Clutch/Service Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 07:25 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Clutch/Service Advice

A little history. Previous car was 996 4S. When I bought it, seller told me clutch was probably near end of life. Pedal was stiff and clutch not very smooth. I decided to replace IMS and while they were in there indy confirmed the clutch and PP were toast. I had them replaced with factory clutch and PP and was absolutely amazed at how light and perfectly smooth the new clutch was. I thought I was driving a Honda.

Fast forward a little - currently have 2009 997.2S with 23,000 mi. When I bought it, clutch pedal was a bit stiff, certainly much stiffer than my 996 after the new clutch, and also had some chatter on initial take-up. Figured, here I go again. I am guessing it is somewhat worn, but it's not slipping. It does require a some more attention to pull out smoothly.

Am I correct in assuming the 997 clutch should feel the same as my 996 as far as smoothness and pedal effort? And what's the consensus on replacement - wait until it begins to slip? I am headed to indy for service next month and trying to make my list.

Thank you,
Old 07-19-2017, 12:49 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The stiffness could be caused by a binding, dry or broken clutch assist spring. The chatter you are feeling also could be could be caused by the clutch assist spring or in could be something in the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel area. Although I've read that some slight chatter is not uncommon in these cars and typically nothing to worry about. I would start by spraying some lubricant onto the clutch assist spring and seeing if the action smooths out. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Clutch/Service Advice