Sponsored by:

Porsche Classic Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:22 AM
danspach
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche Classic Radio

Could I remove my PCM1 (double DIN) and my supporting Nav drive (single DIN) and drop this in instead?:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...m_medium=email

It says in the FAQ that it’s not meant for the 996 but wasn’t sure if it was because of the real estate involved with the PCM or the type of connection it has.

Guessing it has to do with the type of connection since not all 996’s came with this monster but wanted to ask anyway because this thing looks pretty cool.

(Dave, I’m still doing the Bluetooth install this weekend. Had to track down a set of removal tools from my buddy...for the Nav drive since that's where my storage cubby will go.)
Old 07-14-2017, 11:28 AM
dprantl
Race Car

Since it states it is not for a 996, you may have to make up some adapters for a pre-MOST car. For MOST cars, you would need something like this to hook it up. But that stereo is $$$.

Dan
Old 07-14-2017, 11:44 AM
danspach
Instructor

Originally Posted by dprantl
But that stereo is $$$.

Whoof. Yes. It is.

Cool but not cooler than new RSS motor mounts and Tarrett sways.

(Still pretty cool, though)
Old 07-14-2017, 04:05 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

if you have a double din and want to go single din you will need a few parts. move the temp control upward and the cage in the upper console has to be replaced with a single din unit. then below use a double set of cubbys or the cd holder cubby combo. i have a oem cdr-23 if you want a bose based single din cd player unit
Old 07-14-2017, 04:44 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

I deleted my PCM1 and installed this: https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php...7416ub-or.html

It was plug and play w/ the 996 harness from the same seller (I have no affiliation, just a happy customer).

Like 32krazy mentions, there were a few steps to convert from double-DIN back to single-DIN, but it wasn't too bad. I installed the GT3 center console delete down below instead of putting the cubbies in. I should probably make a thread -- I think I have the pictures and part numbers somewhere.

EDIT -- here are the part numbers (thanks to Function First who posted these in another thread https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...on-delete.html):

* Brackets: (2x) 99657350100
* Screws: (2x) 90014307609 -- you should already have 2 that come from the lower mounting point; if not you'll need 4 of these
* Trim: (1x) 9965526770101C
* Support bracket: 99655223111

Relocated climate control, CD7416UB-OR, GT3 center console delete

Last edited by manimal; 07-14-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:29 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,532 Posts

I just put in a double din Sony XAV-AX100 Carplay unit... Uncluttered looks, full nav capability (when paired with an iPhone or Android phone), streaming audio, bluetooth, etc. and under $400. And a display large enough to read unlike the $1,200 Porsche classic radio.

Coupled with a $18 metra adapter, it looks right at home in the 6TT's dash.

Need some better pictures, but here's a couple of quick ones from the install last night.

Relocated the AC controls below, very easy with a new bezel, $8 or so from Suncoast.
Attached Images   
Old 07-15-2017, 12:46 AM
danspach
Instructor

Now I'm on electronics overload....was just installing Dave's Bluetooth kit and while my switch panels are out I'm going to do the targa-switch-garage-door-opener hack....and now these two possible options for a decent stereo.

I gotta say, I like them both...the Sony for the functionality and the Conti for the stock look with the modern features (ex Nav).

Thanks for the model and part numbers. Definitely given me something to think about.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:33 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I like the conti too...

I thought I looked pretty hard for a 'oem german' looking radio that had some decent functionality without spending a fortune, but didn't see the Continental. Blaupunkt has gone to crap, might as well be pioneer. Old limited function Beckers are pricey. All the kenwood/pioneer/whatever single din units just look like a 1980's disco club and look completely out of place (IMHO) in a Porsche.

One downside I see on the Conti is no line level outputs, speaker outputs only, so on my car ('01 turbo with non-bose frunk amp), I would have had to add line level converters to the speaker outputs and would have had to modify the wiring anyway. Or figure out the wiring to bypass the amp and still use mostly factory wiring.

On the non-bose '04 C2 I had several years ago it would have been perfect plug & play, no bose, no amp.

Last edited by pfbz; 07-15-2017 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:52 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

...the other thing that helped me decide to go the way I did is for me, running Waze is a must for 'points avoidance'. I needed to have a solution to mount up my phone anyway, so I figured tying into a carplay system made sense.

Note that you can't display Waze on the built-in receiver carplay screen, but I can run it on the phone screen while streaming music to the carplay unit.

Really bad picture of my unfinished installation. Waiting for the bezel from suncoast (thanks UPS for losing my package), and I made a built-in hidden magnetic mount for the phone from an old CD holder instead of the shelf pocket. Covered it with some fairly closely matching leather, and voila, I have more digital traffic info and countermeasures than in a 2018 Turbo :-)
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2017, 03:31 AM
xmaciek82x
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Since I'm an Android user, I went with Sony XAV-AX100. Love it.

Some advice for fellow Sony XAV-AX100 owners. Check if you have the latest firmware. If not, update it.

I received the hd unit right when it came out and had some bugs in the OS. Updating the firmware to newest version fixed many of the bugs.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:23 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

heres anither way you can go. one of the many setups i have had. ipad mini run thru oem single din
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2017, 06:23 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I did that years ago on my 996. Custom integrated an iPad mini into my '04 996 dash and fed it into a single din audio. Worked nicely, but that was in the days long before ApplePlay...

Pluses and minuses to both setups, but I opted to go with a simpler and lower cost solution with the new Turbo and the Sony carplay unit, so far quite happy.

Here's the write up of my old custom iPad installation if anybody is interested.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...96-mkii-6.html

Picture of my old install...

One of the things I didn't love about it was the disco looks and controls on the Pioneer 1Din receiver. And they are all pretty much the same... If I did it again, I'd try and maybe do it with that continental head unit, but many of those head units don't put out enough current on the USB to charge an ipad, which is a huge pain on an integrated system, plus you really want a rear usb connection, which the conti doesn't have either...
Old 07-16-2017, 07:22 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
I did that years ago on my 996. Custom integrated an iPad mini into my '04 996 dash and fed it into a single din audio. Worked nicely, but that was in the days long before ApplePlay...

Pluses and minuses to both setups, but I opted to go with a simpler and lower cost solution with the new Turbo and the Sony carplay unit, so far quite happy.

Here's the write up of my old custom iPad installation if anybody is interested.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...96-mkii-6.html

Picture of my old install...

One of the things I didn't love about it was the disco looks and controls on the Pioneer 1Din receiver. And they are all pretty much the same... If I did it again, I'd try and maybe do it with that continental head unit, but many of those head units don't put out enough current on the USB to charge an ipad, which is a huge pain on an integrated system, plus you really want a rear usb connection, which the conti doesn't have either...
i used the oem cdr-23 but it didnt play to its potential so i changed it out. the on/off was always an issue as well
Old 07-16-2017, 10:18 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
heres anither way you can go. one of the many setups i have had. ipad mini run thru oem single din
What are the "eject" buttons for?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
What are the "eject" buttons for?
this is an older pic. i run a proefi engine management system so theres rolling antilag button iboost switch for 5 different boost settings and launch control setups. looks much different now!

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic Radio