Sponsored by:

Running a Stage 1 93 Octane Tune on 91 Octane Gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 02:00 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
I appreciate your well-reasoned response. I don't normally buy tuned vehicles, this one was a one-off. Would I do it again? Probably not. Do I like this particular car? Yes. If the car turned into a boat anchor tomorrow, would that disrupt my life other than possibly getting stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere? No.

I asked the seller of my car why he did not participate on online forums. In addition to not having time for it, what he said was basically, that if he needs to know something about his car, he goes to his mechanic, who in this case ran a speed shop in the SF Valley (L.A.) dealing in mostly heavily modified Porsches. He felt that his mechanic knew way more than forum participants so he just bypassed the forums.

There are a few people here who really seem to know their stuff and I do appreciate it when they speak up, because I really do not claim to know diddly about these topics, another reason for avoiding modded cars :-).

Thanks again.
Cant really blame him for not spending time on forums. All they ever do for me is make me want to spend more money on the car to "improve" things that don't really need any improvement

Happy to help however I can. Apologies if I came off as harsh in my initial replies, as that was not my intention to have you feel attacked. Inbox is always open if you feel the need to ask anything and don't want to post. I see where you are coming from in thinking people are being rude, and I think a lot of that comes down to not knowing the intended tone of the speaker... it can be easy to take statements of differing opinions or very direct posts as rude or harsh without the additional context of voice or body language.

Porsche crowd is interesting bunch. There are a lot of awesome people on here and I've made many friends into the real world from here. It's a great dynamic of people here. Bit of an acquired taste I suppose.

One thing though... You aren't going to make many friends downplaying the car as a has-been, etc. Sure it might be the maligned and unloved bastard of the turbo lineage, but most people here love their cars. Even though you are an owner as well, no one likes to see something they love talked down on. So people may see your statements as rudeness and respond in kind.. There's something about catching flies with vinegar or honey, then again who really wants to attract flies anyway
Old 06-27-2017, 04:10 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Cant really blame him for not spending time on forums. All they ever do for me is make me want to spend more money on the car to "improve" things that don't really need any improvement

Happy to help however I can. Apologies if I came off as harsh in my initial replies, as that was not my intention to have you feel attacked. Inbox is always open if you feel the need to ask anything and don't want to post. I see where you are coming from in thinking people are being rude, and I think a lot of that comes down to not knowing the intended tone of the speaker... it can be easy to take statements of differing opinions or very direct posts as rude or harsh without the additional context of voice or body language.

Porsche crowd is interesting bunch. There are a lot of awesome people on here and I've made many friends into the real world from here. It's a great dynamic of people here. Bit of an acquired taste I suppose.

One thing though... You aren't going to make many friends downplaying the car as a has-been, etc. Sure it might be the maligned and unloved bastard of the turbo lineage, but most people here love their cars. Even though you are an owner as well, no one likes to see something they love talked down on. So people may see your statements as rudeness and respond in kind.. There's something about catching flies with vinegar or honey, then again who really wants to attract flies anyway
Thanks for your response. I would not, after all, have bought the car if I thought it was a terrible POS :-) I like the fact that it is sort of the ugly duckling of Porsche cars and turbos, that fits in with my general preference to be mistaken (in person) for a homeless street person rather than who I am and what I have. All of these things, houses, cars, possessions, are just a bunch of STUFF. When one starts to associate his or her self-worth with their "stuff," that is a problem. Unfortunately, you see this often on internet forums.

I am quite familiar with internet forums, going back to the ancient Usenet and all the way through the evolution of the web forum from its beginning. Of course written posts online are easily misunderstood because there is none of the surrounding communication that exists in person, body language and all. I also don't take very much of what people write seriously in an internet setting;if I did, in this forum, then I'd be hanging myself in the closet.

There is however an attitude here that I personally find to be opposed to thinking about things out of the box and creatively. Most of us are really good at hunting down standard information and explanations on the internet; search engines are good for that now. What I don't find in this sub-forum is much interest in taking common knowledge and trying to look at it in a different light, because often, common knowledge is flat out wrong. There is an absence of what I will call "intellectual curiosity" here, and that makes this forum way less useful than it could be. I'm not saying that no one here has it, but I am saying that some of the most vocal people here obviously don't. And it is their loss, not mine.

But I just continue to think stuff through and if I don't get answers in one place, I'll keep looking in others, and generally figure stuff out. And if anyone else is interested and the topic comes up again, I have no problem in sharing that.

Anyway, thanks.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:46 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
When one starts to associate his or her self-worth with their "stuff," that is a problem. Unfortunately, you see this often on internet forums.
You sure talk about it a lot for someone who doesn't care. Look at your sig vs. everyone else's. Give it a rest.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:21 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When buying a used car that is completely out of warranty, especially a well known (if not one of THE best) tuning platform cars it is the buyers responsibility to assess the car, any mods, and make sure it is running/setup correctly.

One way to try to avoid possible issues is to purchase a very well documented 1-2 owner car that is bone stock. More than likely a 996T like this will come at a premium. (this is what I did, for example and even though the car was bone stock, maxed out at .8 bar, I still ran datalogs and had it checked to be sure tune was stock). Even this would not be fool proof and if the car had a tune but PO didn't know or didn't tell you...that is not the fault of the Tuner.

One of the first questions any tuner will ask you is: "what octane is available to you?"...if you say 93 that's great news because thanks to that higher octane the tuner can set up your tune to produce more power than if you only had access to 91. Getting more power is the entire purpose of the tune. The only responsibility the Tuner has is to the owner of the car at the time the car was getting tuned. After that all bets are off.

A well setup tune on these cars makes a huge difference. Any of the well known tuners here I'm sure would be willing to help take a look at a couple of your datalogs to be sure exactly what is happening with your car. Kevin of UMW comes to mind and/or Sambo, Markski, these are REALLY helpful guys!! Personally I am digging the COBB AP since you can EASILY (and I mean easily do a datalog) on top of being able to flash tunes. I would never mash the pedal to the floor on a new to me high performance car like this without first making sure that everything was A OK!!!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:05 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

ecu on the 996tt is adaptive meaning it will adjust to driving style and fuel it is designed to adjust to a few ticks in octane.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:46 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oak
ecu on the 996tt is adaptive meaning it will adjust to driving style and fuel it is designed to adjust to a few ticks in octane.
Sure, on a stock tune. Who knows how close to the edge an aftermarket tune is. Could be just fine, but it's a dumb gamble with a $35k engine. The LH 2.3 ECU on my old 928 was also adaptive (although to a lesser extent), but with my custom tune it sure did not like lower octane gas at all. The sound was like dropping BB pellets into a tin can if you have a good ear and listen hard.

Dan
Old 06-28-2017, 03:53 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

lol it's 93 octane. no tuner is going to waste their time tuning to the ragged edge on a 93 octane. we are not talking about 100oct or over racing tune. hilarious.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:56 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oak
lol it's 93 octane. no tuner is going to waste their time tuning to the ragged edge on a 93 octane. we are not talking about 100oct or over racing tune. hilarious.
Might as well run 87 by this logic.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

haha you guys are talking about 91-93 octane. please that is the difference between pump gas from one state to another.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:25 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Yes. That is exactly what we're talking about. Not sure what's so funny about it.

If a tuner is too lazy or busy to be bothered with "wasting their time" dialing in a tune for the octane of the user's car, who's to say they're not also too lazy to make it 91-octane friendly?

Does not compute.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

not a big deal, no whine about it. it is what it is. porsche have ecu programmed for 91 and 93. it's adaptive. if you have used 100 octane on an ecu prog for 91 you will notice the added performance bump from the adaptive bumping up the timing and air. it also adapts for added octane.

op you will be fine, if your just piddling around town nothing to worry about. if your tracking or plan on driving aggessively add some octane boost. or add some racing gas. wah wah
Old 06-28-2017, 05:02 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

here's a chart for 91 and 92 octane, for 91 octane add 1 gal of 100 oct to 3 gal of 91 to bump oct to just over 93. I always add a 50/50 blend and the 996tt loves it.

http://www.corboatracing.com/downloa...end-charts.pdf
Old 06-28-2017, 05:41 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

i will say this. if you think the people on this forum are hard to deal with or rude dont ever go to 6so. a thread like this will have you trolled for yrs to come. you bought a modded car. you knew it was modded. if you want to change the mod then pay for it. if not import your fuel to make you happy or move to a state with 93 octane.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:05 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oak
not a big deal, no whine about it. it is what it is. porsche have ecu programmed for 91 and 93. it's adaptive. if you have used 100 octane on an ecu prog for 91 you will notice the added performance bump from the adaptive bumping up the timing and air. it also adapts for added octane.
Everyone agrees that if you're still running the OEM tune, then you're obviously safe -- but if an unknown tuner has messed with it, who knows how well it will adapt?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:02 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i will say this. if you think the people on this forum are hard to deal with or rude dont ever go to 6so. a thread like this will have you trolled for yrs to come. you bought a modded car. you knew it was modded. if you want to change the mod then pay for it. if not import your fuel to make you happy or move to a state with 93 octane.
Exactly^
Or, go with a tuner that considers octane a variable that must be dealt with accordingly. Problem is, cheap *** people get scity results and if they argue being cheap vs. smart or frugal, then we all pay by having to listen to it.

Quick Reply: Running a Stage 1 93 Octane Tune on 91 Octane Gas