Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Advice for My Test Drive Tomorrow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 03:13 PM
SeabrookPorsche
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats!

Picking mine up Friday in Philadelphia and driving it back to Houston, TX.

1550 miles give or take. Road trip!
Old 05-20-2017, 05:14 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Some Pics

Name:  DR Side.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  238.0 KB

Name:  Back Drivers.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  212.3 KB

Name:  passenger side.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  134.4 KB

Name:  back passengers.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  220.1 KB

Name:  pass front.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  182.6 KB
Old 05-20-2017, 05:16 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by SeabrookPorsche
Congrats!

Picking mine up Friday in Philadelphia and driving it back to Houston, TX.

1550 miles give or take. Road trip!
Congrats to you also!

Can I ask about the price, mileage, and condition?

Mine has 76K (now; 75K on pickup), and cost $41.5K. It has brand new tires and wheels, and from what I can tell will probably not need any significant work other than oil changes for a few years, as most of the common things that break or need maintenance have had this done within the last 2 or 3 thousand miles over the last couple of years.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:34 PM
SeabrookPorsche
Racer

Originally Posted by champignon
Congrats to you also!

Can I ask about the price, mileage, and condition?

Mine has 76K (now; 75K on pickup), and cost $41.5K. It has brand new tires and wheels, and from what I can tell will probably not need any significant work other than oil changes for a few years, as most of the common things that break or need maintenance have had this done within the last 2 or 3 thousand miles over the last couple of years.
2001 Lapis Blue on Natural Tan. Mint condition. 22725 miles.
Car has a tune, exhaust, aluminum pedals, short shifter, 19" wheels.
I paid up for it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2017, 07:36 PM
SeabrookPorsche
Racer

I paid up for it.
Let me clarify this not the exact car, but this exactly what it looks like.

She's a beauty....
Old 05-20-2017, 09:15 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
"too much power" the words of a newby. Give it 2 weeks and you will be checking to see if something is wrong "it doesn't seem like it has as much power as when I first got it". Another 2 months and the mod list begins. Enjoy your new car they are great. I would suggest an autocross and then a HPDE track day before settling on any mods other than cosmetic. It is impossible to experience the full performance available in these cars on public roads (without the potential for jail time, injury or death).

Pictures or it didn't happen.
^This is the truth. Just dont take a ride/drive in one with a tune haha! Shortly thereafter your credit card will melt out of your wallet because of all the delicious mods you can do to this car. Have a great time, and welcome to the club! Im glad you had a great purchase experience as well. It adds something to an already awesome moment.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:31 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats guys!!
Old 05-20-2017, 09:52 PM
champignon
Pro

I paid up for it.
I like your color better than mine, but then I'm a huge fan of Blue cars. I saw a blue BMW once that had a red interior; that was a bit much, however :-)

Mine has a Softronic stage 1 tune (reputedly 500 HP on 93 octane, 485 on 91, which is what I can buy), and a 997 short shifter installed, plus a brand new shifter, as the leather was worn out and that bothered the former owner, so he replaced it :-) Also, the new wheels are 19", also. I could have had the stock wheels also, but it wasn't worth shipping them plus I have no where to store them and shipping them would have been expensive and probably would have resulted in damage if I had dismounted the worthless tires that were installed.

Enjoy it, and send us some pics!
Old 05-20-2017, 10:17 PM
SeabrookPorsche
Racer

I like your color better than mine, but then I'm a huge fan of Blue cars. I saw a blue BMW once that had a red interior; that was a bit much, however :-)

Mine has a Softronic stage 1 tune (reputedly 500 HP on 93 octane, 485 on 91, which is what I can buy), and a 997 short shifter installed, plus a brand new shifter, as the leather was worn out and that bothered the former owner, so he replaced it :-) Also, the new wheels are 19", also. I could have had the stock wheels also, but it wasn't worth shipping them plus I have no where to store them and shipping them would have been expensive and probably would have resulted in damage if I had dismounted the worthless tires that were installed.

Enjoy it, and send us some pics!
Thank you!

Is there anyway to tell what kind of tune you have since don't have any of the original paperwork? No service places mentioned on CARFAX either.

Cheers, Mat.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:29 AM
champignon
Pro

Thank you!

Is there anyway to tell what kind of tune you have since don't have any of the original paperwork? No service places mentioned on CARFAX either.

Cheers, Mat.
My seller had records from the 2nd & 3rd owners, in addition to himself (4th owner). The tune was done by the 3rd owner and by report cost about $1500. The seller gave me what looks like a USB key and a connecting cable. The USB key reportedly has the tune flash on it, and supposedly it could be reloaded with a laptop and a downloadable software program from Softronic. The seller's only interaction with the tune was that the car had $8500 worth of work done in a shop that is oriented towards performing performance mods. The engine was removed from the car for replacement of the coolant and power steering systems. At the same time, anything else needing to be done with the engine out was performed, such as a transmission rebuild, replacement of spark plugs and wires, etc. When the car was in for this service, the shop verified that the tune was flashed and that the original OEM tune was not there.

But that is all I know about going about how to verify that a car is tuned.

It would seem to me that any seller claiming modifications like this should need to come up with some sort of proof that the job was done.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:43 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

But that is all I know about going about how to verify that a car is tuned.

It would seem to me that any seller claiming modifications like this should need to come up with some sort of proof that the job was done.
congrats on your purchase. may it afford you many miles of trouble free years.

these cars are now "old" in relative terms, so consider yourself fortunate in that the seller seemed to even the know the purveyor of the flash! lol. I'm waiting for the other website to take the 996 turbo out of "present" model iterations and relegate them to "once present".

if you can drive a stock 996 turbo and compare it against a tuned one, then there'd be no need for "proof" of any flash, as the proof is in the pedal.

in the meantime, enjoy it!
Old 05-21-2017, 02:32 AM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
congrats on your purchase. may it afford you many miles of trouble free years.

these cars are now "old" in relative terms, so consider yourself fortunate in that the seller seemed to even the know the purveyor of the flash! lol. I'm waiting for the other website to take the 996 turbo out of "present" model iterations and relegate them to "once present".

if you can drive a stock 996 turbo and compare it against a tuned one, then there'd be no need for "proof" of any flash, as the proof is in the pedal.

in the meantime, enjoy it!
True, true, and related :-)

This is the problem with doing significant mods on a car; they may or may not be a net plus to subsequent owners, and once the trail goes cold one is left holding the bag on some things a former owner did, with no accountability from anyone. I am not a huge fan of mods and in general I would avoid them, and never would I pay additional for them.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Congratulations! Like others said jail number happen very quick and a 3rd gear downshift for a pass almost begs for triple digit numbers by the time you switch lanes.
Enjoy!
Shawn
Old 05-21-2017, 12:28 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

True, true, and related :-)

This is the problem with doing significant mods on a car; they may or may not be a net plus to subsequent owners, and once the trail goes cold one is left holding the bag on some things a former owner did, with no accountability from anyone. I am not a huge fan of mods and in general I would avoid them, and never would I pay additional for them.
agree on all points except on the "don't like mods" part. i've had both and wouldn't have an unmodded turbo for love OR money, now that i know the difference.
i'd rather just have a stock 993 lol..

but fully agree that modded cars are not as "salable" for many reasons.

all that said, all it takes is the first mod ( say like side markers or led interior lighting ) and whoops! next thing ya know, you'll be ripping out your front differential and pricing out an LSD LOL..

all kidding aside, you're about to have great summer.. again, enjoy!

edit> whoops! they already got to the side markers! you bought a "molested" turbo lol
Old 05-21-2017, 12:34 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50

edit> whoops! they already got to the side markers! you bought a "molested" turbo lol
I know that my Turbo has been modified; I like the mods on the car, but I don't see doing any more other than perhaps cosmetic and even less likely an audio system re-do.

What the car really needs is a gas tank twice as big; this car has a voracious appetite :-)

Quick Reply: Quick Advice for My Test Drive Tomorrow!!!