Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Advice for My Test Drive Tomorrow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:42 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
wow. 41.5 sounds almost too good to be true. That sounds like an amazing deal. I hope it goes well!
It has 75,000 miles on it, so assuming all the work done accomplished what needed to be accomplished, I think the car is probably a decent deal. I'm not sure I'd say a "too good to be true" type deal. I don't know what the seller paid for the car. He did tell me that some of the problems were a surprise to him when the car arrived (he had it shipped sight unseen, it was the personal car of a guy who owns a 2nd hand car dealership, I think). The car does not have a lien against it, which I think indicates that the guy was well enough capitalized that he could afford to fix the car.

In talking to the seller at great length, he impressed me as being "almost too honest," and he divulged a number of things (mostly cosmetic) that I would probably not have noticed on my test drive. He also did not want a deposit to hold the car, and it was somewhat inconvenient work-wise for him to be available today for the sale, but he worked around it. I think he would have preferred the sale to occur a week later if I could have done that. He said that if I don't show up or don't buy it, then he gets to drive it a little bit more, which was fine by him :-)

Hopefully I don't end up by the side of the road somewhere along the 900 mile drive today and tomorrow . . . . .
Old 05-18-2017, 11:48 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

I drove mine 800 back. great road trip.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:58 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
I am about to pick up a 2003 996 Turbo with about 75,000 miles on the clock. The car has had more maintenance and repairs done on it in the last 2 years than Aunt Jemima has pancakes.

The car has a new clutch, new brakes, new almost everything mechanical that could need to be serviced for a car of this age.

I have had extensive, many hour-long conversations with the owner, who is quite passionate about the car, and who has described every tiny paint and interior and mechanical issue (past tense) in great detail.

I will be test driving it tomorrow.

Other than just driving it, what should I be looking for on my test drive?

Thanks!
Don't overthink it, if you like it, it drives good and the car checks out buy it.
I drove mine back(only 150Mi) after a PPI then my test drive.
They all need something
Old 05-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine passed a PPI at a respected shop in CA, within 6 hours of delivery I had a CEL, I think it's just part of the experience. It was a bad turbo cutoff valve, part was only $128 but took some labor to diagnose/replace. It will need something as 911mhawk says.

Just remember, that new car you could buy instead will cost you depreciation as opposed to the maintenance you will spend on the 911.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well you snooze you lose, I just bought this car...j/k buy it already
Old 05-19-2017, 01:15 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Yup, buy it now. It is very rare when we all agree on something.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

$41.5k is a very fair price, you did not overpay. In fact you probably under paid a bit!
Much luck! Get a PPI.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:46 PM
champignon
Pro

So, I completed the transaction in Torrance (just S. of L.A.) yesterday morning. Seller (Carter Ames) was everything he said he was and car was everything he said it was. Paid for the car and left Torrance at 11:15 a.m. in the mother of all traffic jams on the 405. Could never live in L.A., sorry :-)

Drove the car 900 miles back to Boise, Idaho, and got back in today around 2pm.

Car is amazing, no defects noted. Everything works. More raw power than any car I have ever experienced, too much in fact. Got it up to 102 passing someone in Nevada today, on a 2 lane road. I don't think he saw me, at all.

I'll post a few pics tomorrow after I get her washed.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:38 AM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So, I completed the transaction in Torrance (just S. of L.A.) yesterday morning. Seller (Carter Ames) was everything he said he was and car was everything he said it was. Paid for the car and left Torrance at 11:15 a.m. in the mother of all traffic jams on the 405. Could never live in L.A., sorry :-)

Car is amazing, no defects noted. Everything works. More raw power than any car I have ever experienced, too much in fact. Got it up to 102 passing someone in Nevada today, on a 2 lane road. I don't think he saw me, at all.

Congrats on the purchase!
Old 05-20-2017, 03:48 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

102...you are responsible I hit 140 on wide open Texas backroad on day 1 and quickly pissed myself.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:20 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

You passed my house on your drive home. Knowing the 405, you were probably doing 17 MPH.

Congrats on the purchase, but we need pics!
Old 05-20-2017, 10:59 AM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by techweenie
You passed my house on your drive home. Knowing the 405, you were probably doing 17 MPH.

Congrats on the purchase, but we need pics!
At one point, I think I hit 18 MPH, but that was only for about 8 seconds. The average speed was under 10.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:02 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

"too much power" the words of a newby. Give it 2 weeks and you will be checking to see if something is wrong "it doesn't seem like it has as much power as when I first got it". Another 2 months and the mod list begins. Enjoy your new car they are great. I would suggest an autocross and then a HPDE track day before settling on any mods other than cosmetic. It is impossible to experience the full performance available in these cars on public roads (without the potential for jail time, injury or death).

Pictures or it didn't happen.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:18 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
102...you are responsible I hit 140 on wide open Texas backroad on day 1 and quickly pissed myself.
+1, I got ticketed for using carpool lane to pass a couple folks parked at 60 in left lane on way home with mine. Luckily cop was cool, liked car and I had a stack of registration/purchase paperwork.
He said something along the lines of, "Not sure how fast, but you dropped them like a rock and caught the next group before I could remember to turn on my radar".

Enjoy your new toy!
Old 05-20-2017, 02:11 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats, I hope to do the same one day, soon as I find "the car"...

Quick Reply: Quick Advice for My Test Drive Tomorrow!!!