Sponsored by:

Rear bumperette delete...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 01:58 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Default Rear bumperette delete...

I had the rear bumper off the car last week and decided to install a rear bumperette delete kit. I was unsure how it would look as but since only the US market cars came with the rear bumperettes I figured I'd give it a go. Installing the kit is very straight forward. After removing the bumperettes and the bumper cover itself, all of which takes about 10 minutes, you will expose the rear aluminum bumper crash brace which has the bumperette supports riveted onto it. To remove the supports, you simply need to drill them out as you would any rivet. I removed the crash brace which is attached by two bolts to get better access to it. Drilling the rivets out takes another 10 minutes. Once this is done you simply reinstall the crash brace and the bumper cover back on the car. The final step is to install the plastic delete cover to hide the two openings left in the bumper by the missing bumperettes. The whole set up is easily reversible if you'd like to go back to stock. My primary goal was to remove some weight from the vary back end of the car but I was pleasantly surprised by the clean look of the rear of the car without the warts. To me anyway, it's much better than the bumperette look and I can see why all the ROW car do not have these. For those wondering, removing the bumperettes does not in any way affect the crashworthiness of the car as the crash brace along with the shock absorption pistons still remain. Total weight saving is 3 lbs 10 oz from the very tail end of the car.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TZDe1A]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TZDoqs]
Old 05-07-2017, 05:11 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 258 Posts

Looks much better!
Old 05-07-2017, 05:51 PM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been wanting to do this. Never like the bumerrette. Where do you get the kit? I've notice the texture on the kit. Can this be painted to match the vehicle? Thanks.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice if you want to remove weight back there pull that crash brace out
Old 05-07-2017, 06:00 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

We remove the crash braces on spec boxsters but even light contact causes a lot of damage. Mezgers are expensive. I wouldn't chance it. Not worth it in my opinion
Old 05-07-2017, 06:03 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bansasn
I've been wanting to do this. Never like the bumerrette. Where do you get the kit? I've notice the texture on the kit. Can this be painted to match the vehicle? Thanks.
Pre production sample. Depending on feedback and interest, this may or may not go into production. Price would likely be $125. Yes, the material can be painted.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:29 PM
bansasn
Racer

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Pre production sample. Depending on feedback and interest, this may or may not go into production. Price would likely be $125. Yes, the material can be painted.
Thanks for the info. Please let us know when you do go into production.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:35 PM
bansasn
Racer

By any chance do you have pictures before and after the rivet was drilled? Thanks.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:38 AM
mxracer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$125 for a piece of ABS?
Old 05-08-2017, 10:26 AM
split71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mxracer
$125 for a piece of ABS?
My thoughts. Everybody chasing the "I'm going to import stuff cheap from china and sell it to others for more money." Good ol' 'entrepreneurship' and the 'merican dream.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:09 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

I will never understand the hate on those who actually take the initiative. If you want to build it yourself for cheaper, do it (and find out how much time and headaches it actually costs). If $125 isn't worth it to you, don't buy it. Driving a Porsche, complaining about a $125 part, and hating on entrepreneurship -- does not compute.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:24 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
I will never understand the hate on those who actually take the initiative. If you want to build it yourself for cheaper, do it (and find out how much time and headaches it actually costs). If $125 isn't worth it to you, don't buy it. Driving a Porsche, complaining about a $125 part, and hating on entrepreneurship -- does not compute.
Exactly...
I've been thinking about doing this next time I need to pull the rear bumper.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:30 PM
mxracer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
I asked a question, although a little sarcastic. If I'm missing some unseen aspect of the kit then it may make more sense as a consumer. If it's just a piece of ABS with a couple of holes drilled and I want one I will make it.

As for "Driving a Porsche, complaining about a $125 part, and hating on entrepreneurship -- does not compute.".. I have no issue paying for value. examples being my GT2 seats, coil overs, wheels, gmg roll bar, harnesses etc. Also don't have issues with entrepreneurship, in this context it has yielded some great parts for the cars.

My apologies that you got butt hurt over my question. I should have maybe asked it so it does not offend those who offend easily.

"Can you please explain the kit in more detail. It would seem it is just a piece of ABS plastic. Not trying to question the value of anyone's product nor stifle the all important entrepreneurship that makes the world revolve, just trying to understand."

Nope, just can't do it...still some sarcasm coming out.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just a suggestion, maybe use a smooth material for those who want to paint it. Smooth surface will look more like the european bumpers.The rough surface will not provide the gloss to match the bumper. Great idea! Good luck.....
Old 05-08-2017, 12:40 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mxracer
My apologies that you got butt hurt over my question. I should have maybe asked it so it does not offend those who offend easily.
Take the "why u mad bro" nonsense over to 6speed. I expect more around here.

It's pretty clear you're not interested in the OP and have nothing to offer the thread.

Quick Reply: Rear bumperette delete...