Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum-61/)
-   -   Ultimate Motorwerks Rear Wing Lift Cylinder Repair Kit (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/988985-ultimate-motorwerks-rear-wing-lift-cylinder-repair-kit.html)

Kevin 05-06-2017 03:03 PM

Ultimate Motorwerks Rear Wing Lift Cylinder Repair Kit

Over the years I have received a number of emails asking how to fix or repair leaking and failing wings. I decided to approach the repair in a different method. I have CNC'd a rebuildable LIFT cartridge. The cartridge assy will be available for those that want to service one or both leaking wing cylinders. The main reason for the wing failures is due to a couple of 10 cent orings. The orings get flat spotted and a leak slowly develops. Replace the orings and you are up and running.

My repair kit allows owners that want to retain the factory wing assembly AND factory look and operation. I acknowledge the fact that there are other options available in the marketplace. UMW's option is to allow a rebuildable solution for owners and shops.

NOTE: I am looking for two individuals (beta testers)that have tried to bleed there system and have a working knowledge of how the wing hydraulics/system works. The two individuals would need to require the ability to take pictures and documentations as to "there" repair and assembly.

Lastly, I am working on the electric pump assy component repair kit. With the two kits, we will be able to maintain and service our wings for a minimal investment.

For those interested please email me for details and pricing (introductory pricing is available). kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com

Orphan 05-07-2017 06:01 PM

A timely good idea !

fung0001 05-07-2017 09:26 PM

I wish i could join
wait for your solution

DaveCarrera4 05-08-2017 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 14164867)
The main reason for the wing failures is due to a couple of 10 cent orings. The orings get flat spotted and a leak slowly develops

. Kevin, good idea. Do you have any pictures of the flat spot?

jpflip 05-08-2017 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 (Post 14168057)
. Kevin, good idea. I have identified 12 reasons, but missed this "flat spot on the o-rings" cause, that makes lucky 13! Do you have any pictures of the flat spot?

This is the weak spot on mine....

BauerR 05-08-2017 11:23 AM

My wing just threw an error code. I'm a buyer

manimal 05-08-2017 11:56 AM

I have not yet tried bleeding mine (have one leaky ram), but definitely interested in this.

z06801 05-08-2017 01:59 PM

Hey Kevin nice work :cheers: any thoughts on the plastic screw piece in the motor section? Pretty sure thats where mine has failed as well as the O rings.

Kevin 05-08-2017 02:09 PM

Park, the pump plastic drive piece will be released.. I don't have a firm date yet..

z06801 05-08-2017 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Park, the pump plastic drive piece will be released.. I don't have a firm date yet..

I'll be your tester for that for sure.

911 Rod 05-08-2017 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 14168877)

This one? I'd test this in Canada for sure!

"02996ttx50 05-08-2017 11:25 PM

what terrific possible option besides dave's also terrific rennkit. i am amazed that my spoiler still has functionality after all these years with 3 re-bleeds that i know of! fingers crossed.. yet subscribed! lol

my04996tt 05-09-2017 11:38 AM

You could try calling Marios automotive hydraulics in pompano Florida. He repaired mine and may have some.

DaveCarrera4 05-10-2017 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50 (Post 14170373)
what terrific possible option besides dave's also terrific rennkit.

thanks

"02996ttx50 05-10-2017 08:40 PM

NP dave! you deserve it.. that 4" kit is ( and has been ) on my wish list since its intro! it's really just that my oem refuses to die! ( must be some kind of a "record"?! ) i still have my eBay ( "fixed wing kit".. aka a "150$ bag of bolts!" ) sitting in its original shipping box :rolleyes:

btw you and ( now ) kevin here with his "solution", i'm sure the market for spoiler repair options is all sewn up ;) and i commend you both. cheers.

fung0001 05-11-2017 03:04 AM

I will certainly try the fix service in ebay if the shipping cost is more friendly and/or i can take it down myself easily😔

"02996ttx50 05-11-2017 12:33 PM

^ the ebay offering may just be the $150.00 box of a couple of bolts to "fix" the wing in a stationary "up" position. thats not really a "fix" unless you want it fixed "UP!" and stationary. i bought it and i don't know what i was thinking ha

FRUNKenstein 05-11-2017 12:49 PM

I just wonder why the factory used hydraulics on our wings in the first place. My 1990 964 had an electric motor for the rear spoiler. Seems like they went backwards technology-wise using hydraulics on the 996tt. I believe the current models all use electric actuators, no?

Kevin - Good for you in taking on this project, especially in light of Dave's Rennkit eRams. I'll never need your new fix as I've already converted to the eRams and I suspect they'll last forever. But, I suppose for someone who is a slave to keeping things stock, this fix to the hydraulic system might be preferable.

Kevin 05-11-2017 03:34 PM

KC, over the years I have developed repair kits. From K24 1 bar wastegate kits to 993TT check valve kits. This solution will fit the repair "issue" It was Porsche Indy's that kept knocking at the door. When I get the pump components ready to sell, the hydraulic system will be serviceable for decades down the road.

ASLAN 05-30-2017 01:08 AM

Hey Kevin, any update so far?

champignon 05-30-2017 02:16 AM

The wing functioning is a doodad for anyone using the car on public roads. Now I grant that some may track their vehicles and/or drive them on public roads regularly at speeds well in excess of 100 mph; it is a free country and to all of you fitting this description, I give you my best!

I have seen videos of the wing going up and down and it is very cool, almost hypnotizing. And if you want that, than do whatever you need to do to have it.

The guy who sold me my 996 Turbo a couple of weeks ago decided to just buy a nicer aftermarket wing (the Precision GT2) and to fix it in a lowish position. I like the look of the car and I don't miss the up and down "functionality."

These cars are at the point age and mileage wise where having fewer things to worry about breaking is a plus, not a minus.

DaveCarrera4 05-30-2017 07:53 AM

Except Porsche states in the manual that the car shouldn't be driven at excessive speeds without the wing up. There is also information stating with the wing down, it aids cooling at lower speed.

champignon 05-30-2017 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 (Post 14220221)
Except Porsche states in the manual that the car shouldn't be driven at excessive speeds without the wing up. There is also information stating with the wing down, it aids cooling at lower speed.

define "excessive speed."

Kevinmacd 05-30-2017 01:19 PM

The owners manual says not to drive the car over 75mph without the rear wing deployed. There is a safety risk.

manimal 05-30-2017 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by champignon (Post 14220041)
The wing functioning is a doodad for anyone using the car on public roads. Now I grant that some may track their vehicles and/or drive them on public roads regularly at speeds well in excess of 100 mph; it is a free country and to all of you fitting this description, I give you my best!

I have seen videos of the wing going up and down and it is very cool, almost hypnotizing. And if you want that, than do whatever you need to do to have it.

The guy who sold me my 996 Turbo a couple of weeks ago decided to just buy a nicer aftermarket wing (the Precision GT2) and to fix it in a lowish position. I like the look of the car and I don't miss the up and down "functionality."

These cars are at the point age and mileage wise where having fewer things to worry about breaking is a plus, not a minus.

Good for you, and to each his own. To me, the moving wing is one of the cool features of the car, and mark my words, in 10 years, cars with working hydraulic spoilers will be a premium.

FWIW (it sounds like maybe you don't care or don't drive the car hard), but GT2 rear aero should be matched to GT2 front aero. The extra downforce on the rear can actually cause lift on the front. Do you think Porsche was just randomly putting random spoilers at random heights when they engineered the car?

champignon 05-30-2017 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by manimal (Post 14220881)
Good for you, and to each his own. To me, the moving wing is one of the cool features of the car, and mark my words, in 10 years, cars with working hydraulic spoilers will be a premium.

FWIW (it sounds like maybe you don't care or don't drive the car hard), but GT2 rear aero should be matched to GT2 front aero. The extra downforce on the rear can actually cause lift on the front. Do you think Porsche was just randomly putting random spoilers at random heights when they engineered the car?

No, I doubt that what they did was random, but what they did was geared to what a spoiler does, which is basically nothing unless a car is going really, really, fast.

The Porsche Turbo is not the only fast car manufactured with a spoiler; other cars which tend to be driven hard, with spoilers, include the Subaru STi, which routinely was sold with the spoiler removed entirely per customer request, and now is sold that way, with and without spoiler.

Anyone thinking this is really important for a car that is not tracked and driven on public roads at speeds under, say, 105 MPH, please produce some EVIDENCE. Just saying that Porsche engineers did this or that does not cut it.

DaveCarrera4 05-30-2017 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by champignon (Post 14220720)
define "excessive speed."

I'll let Porsche explain it.

Hosewater2 05-30-2017 02:52 PM

Since I don't own a GT2, I wouldn't put a GT2 wing on my car...although I did debate putting an Si badge on my wife's Pilot when we owned it.

I'm doing Rennkit when mine goes, my kids love the spoiler coming up way too much to lose the feature.

Carlo_Carrera 05-30-2017 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by champignon (Post 14221013)
No, I doubt that what they did was random, but what they did was geared to what a spoiler does, which is basically nothing unless a car is going really, really, fast....

Sorry to do this again, but this statements is completely untrue. The rear wing does a lot even at 75 MPH. There is fellow here who did CFD design work for automotive video games. He knows all about it. Maybe he will chime in.

911mhawk 05-30-2017 03:09 PM

Working hydraulics are a cool feature that I intend to keep now that Kevin's kit is out.

Despite having a knock-off GT2 wing available to install, I like the stock look and don't want to go through redoing the front end as the cost of OE parts has gone up significantly.

I picked up the fake because it was black too and mine has started to leak a little.
Still may install fake while I fix stock one to see if there's a noticeable difference at the track.

Not sure how much the "imbalance" with a GT2 rear and stock front end would impact driving dynamics but I believe there was a thread here a while back that got pretty granular.

With max cornering speed of 90-100 at my local track in 3 corners where rear grip is more of a concern, I'll guess that I stay on the pavement.

champignon 05-30-2017 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4 (Post 14221050)
I'll let Porsche explain it.

I understand that you have a nice kit and you are spoken well of on the various Porsche groups. I might even buy your kit one of these days. But it is pretty obvious however that there is NOT the absence of a conflict of interest here.

Carlo_Carrera 05-30-2017 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by champignon (Post 14221182)
I understand that you have a nice kit and you are spoken well of on the various Porsche groups. I might even buy your kit one of these days. But it is pretty obvious however that there is NOT the absence of a conflict of interest here.

Are you for real?

Are you calling out Dave? Calling him a huckster?

Hosewater2 05-30-2017 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by champignon (Post 14221182)

I wouldn't interpret someone directly quoting the manual in support of their product as a conflict of interest.

champignon 05-30-2017 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hosewater2 (Post 14221094)
Since I don't own a GT2, I wouldn't put a GT2 wing on my car...although I did debate putting an Si badge on my wife's Pilot when we owned it.

I'm doing Rennkit when mine goes, my kids love the spoiler coming up way too much to lose the feature.

To be honest, I didn't even realize when I bought the car that anyone would interpret that this spoiler amounted to a sort of "mis-badging" of the car with a spoiler type from another car. As I have said previously, I did not buy this spoiler, it was installed on the car when I bought it.

In the BMW world, one frequently sees cars with M-type badging that obviously was put on aftermarket by an owner, probably with fake badges bought on ebay or elsewhere. If BMW hadn't gotten into the act putting "M" badging on everything, I could see it as being offensive.

champignon 05-30-2017 03:51 PM

I agree it is a cool feature. I do not buy cars with the intention of holding them as an investment, so any premium placed on the car having a functioning hydraulic spoiler system would not be of much interest to me on this car which already has 76,000+ miles on it.

Again, I regard this as silly marketing pablum lifted off of Porsche's promotional materials from when they were originally marketing these 996TT cars for sale, at least as regards drivers who will drive on public roads and who will not track their cars.

champignon 05-30-2017 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by 911mhawk (Post 14221145)
(snippage)
Not sure how much the "imbalance" with a GT2 rear and stock front end would impact driving dynamics but I believe there was a thread here a while back that got pretty granular.

With max cornering speed of 90-100 at my local track in 3 corners where rear grip is more of a concern, I'll guess that I stay on the pavement.

I may be new to Porsches, but I'm not new to internet forums, including car forums.

There are a few people who actually understand such things as have been bandied about on this thread, basically car aerodynamics and handling, upforce, downforce, et. al.

One will often get very vociferous and exclamatory statements of supposed fact on complex threads and topics on forums, such as these. Unfortunately, the percentage of those commenting, often strongly, who actually have a background in and understand these complex subjects, is vanishingly small.

People frequently mistake "post count," e.g. the number of posts that someone makes on an internet forum, for knowledge. Sometimes post count and knowledge go hand and hand, and you do get the occasional mass poster who knows his stuff and who is extremely generous with his or her time in helping out others. I have already encountered several people like that on this board. Most people like this are careful to clarify what it is that they know for a fact, and what is questionable, but which they are repeating for the sake of completeness. That sort of posting demeanor helps me in separating out who actually has a handle on what they know, and what they don't know, essential in separating out the credible, from the rest.

But, I don't respond that way to strongly stated opinions, stated as fact, no matter how strongly or in fact even offensively, these opinions might be stated.

Peace.

Hosewater2 05-30-2017 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by champignon (Post 14221246)
To be honest, I didn't even realize when I bought the car that anyone would interpret that this spoiler amounted to a sort of "mis-badging" of the car with a spoiler type from another car. As I have said previously, I did not buy this spoiler, it was installed on the car when I bought it.

In the BMW world, one frequently sees cars with M-type badging that obviously was put on aftermarket by an owner, probably with fake badges bought on ebay or elsewhere. If BMW hadn't gotten into the act putting "M" badging on everything, I could see it as being offensive.

Putting an M on the back of your non-M BMW is poser pure and simple. Yes they put M components on non-M cars, but the only non-M model that got an M in it's name was the M235i right?

I don't think it's quite the same thing with rear spoilers, just wouldn't be my choice to put a GT2 wing on a 996tt, I don't think it looks good myself and serves as a reminder that these cars were once so undervalued that lots of GT2 knockoff wings were installed to save a grand or two.

champignon 05-30-2017 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera (Post 14221217)
Are you for real?

Are you calling out Dave? Calling him a huckster?

Is this just your posting style, or is this how you present yourself in real life?

champignon 05-30-2017 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hosewater2 (Post 14221221)
I wouldn't interpret someone directly quoting the manual in support of their product as a conflict of interest.

He's selling this thing, that is a prima facie conflict of interest. If stated by someone else, it would not be.

champignon 05-30-2017 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hosewater2 (Post 14221385)
Putting an M on the back of your non-M BMW is poser pure and simple. Yes they put M components on non-M cars, but the only non-M model that got an M in it's name was the M235i right?

I don't think it's quite the same thing with rear spoilers, just wouldn't be my choice to put a GT2 wing on a 996tt, I don't think it looks good myself and serves as a reminder that these cars were once so undervalued that lots of GT2 knockoff wings were installed to save a grand or two.

Again, I did not put it on there; one of these days, I might take it off. But it is not a priority.

napoleon1981 05-30-2017 04:55 PM

Anyone thinking this is really important for a car that is not tracked and driven on public roads at speeds under, say, 105 MPH, please produce some EVIDENCE. Just saying that Porsche engineers did this or that does not cut it.

I like how you flip the issue around. You make a statement -not backed up by any evidence- against the current status quo, and then call upon everybody else to come with the evidence against it.

I'm willing to bet that Porsche determined the functionality of the wing based on a lot of data, including drag, cooling, downforce etc. These things even play a role at relatively low speed. Hold your hand out of the car window into the wind, you will be amazed at the forces at play.

Hosewater2 05-30-2017 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by champignon (Post 14221407)
He's selling this thing, that is a prima facie conflict of interest. If stated by someone else, it would not be.

So if someone else quoted the manual as he did then his statement would be more valid? Step away from the shovel....

Turbodan 05-30-2017 05:29 PM

The Porsche Turbo is not the only fast car manufactured with a spoiler; other cars which tend to be driven hard, with spoilers, include the Subaru STi, which routinely was sold with the spoiler removed entirely per customer request, and now is sold that way, with and without spoiler.

What you are forgetting is the engine is located behind the rear axle on a 996 turbo making the rear downforce necessary. Even at low speeds with slippery conditions and wind, the downforce may be necessary.

But do whatever you want with your car.
BTW Porsche is a racing company, they put stuff on the cars mostly for performance after testing. Stick around a while and you will see Porsche is very different from BMW. BTW I like BMWs as well just not as much a Porsche:)

wross996tt 05-30-2017 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by champignon (Post 14221298)
I may be new to Porsches, but I'm not new to internet forums, including car forums.

So we should not value your opinion about Porsches since you state you are new to Porsche?

There are a few people who actually understand such things as have been bandied about on this thread, basically car aerodynamics and handling, upforce, downforce, et. al.

Are you implying you are one of the intelligent few?

One will often get very vociferous and exclamatory statements of supposed fact on complex threads and topics on forums, such as these. Unfortunately, the percentage of those commenting, often strongly, who actually have a background in and understand these complex subjects, is vanishingly small.

I would suppose as already stated the Porsche team responsible for aerodynamics and aerodynamic modeling has some of this knowledge and access to way more data than any single Porsche owner. Or do you have a wind tunnel and are running experiments? I would guess not, but we are supposed to believe you have some idea about the effects of speed on aerodynamics...something doesn't add up here. But I guess using your extensive vocabulary makes up for the lack of data?

People frequently mistake "post count," e.g. the number of posts that someone makes on an internet forum, for knowledge. Sometimes post count and knowledge go hand and hand, and you do get the occasional mass poster who knows his stuff and who is extremely generous with his or her time in helping out others. I have already encountered several people like that on this board. Most people like this are careful to clarify what it is that they know for a fact, and what is questionable, but which they are repeating for the sake of completeness. That sort of posting demeanor helps me in separating out who actually has a handle on what they know, and what they don't know, essential in separating out the credible, from the rest.

Can't disagree with this...and of course we are doing this for your benefit...LOL

But, I don't respond that way to strongly stated opinions, stated as fact, no matter how strongly or in fact even offensively, these opinions might be stated.

Peace.

Did you ever think that your comments can be construed as offensive?

Peace out.:D

Atrox 05-30-2017 06:01 PM

So this guy is saying that engineered aerodynamics in a high performance sports car is a doo-dad. I think he's just pissed he bought a car that doesn't have one and secretly wishes he did.

You should just put a c4s lid on then the gt2 lid is also another fun doo-dad. :banghead:

manimal 05-30-2017 06:05 PM

I think we need to stop feeding the troll, and stop hijacking Kevin's thread.

Have some class, new guy. We're all up for some contentious discussion, but that's enough hijacking threads and being disrespectful. There are a lot of folks here with impressive resumes, and extensive experience with other marques. They don't feel the need to rub it in your face. In fact, it's one of my favorite things about the Porsche enthusiast community -- the humility and respect. There's always someone faster, richer, with a nicer car(s). We all appreciate what everyone brings to the table, and share the same passion.

On topic: I bled my spoiler system this past weekend, and the dash warning light is finally gone. :) I still see some wetness around the rams, though, so I'll be in the market, Kevin.

Atrox 05-30-2017 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by manimal (Post 14221656)
I think we need to stop feeding the troll, and stop hijacking Kevin's thread.

Have some class, new guy.

On topic: I bled my spoiler system this past weekend, and the dash warning light is finally gone. :) I still see some wetness around the rams, though, so I'll be in the market, Kevin.

Agree I'm interested as well. Pulled my fuse as rebleed only lasted a year before failure.

Carlo_Carrera 05-30-2017 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by champignon (Post 14221403)
Is this just your posting style, or is this how you present yourself in real life?

This is real life.

Let me guess, you a millennial?

mffarrell 05-30-2017 06:48 PM

How to Win Friends & Influence People

This is a good read and it may help you here:

champignon 05-30-2017 07:25 PM

Honestly, I think groupthink is really unfortunate. I make it very clear what I think I know and what I don't know. And there is a lot about Porsche automobiles that I do not know.

At the same time, just repeating the same things over and over again, without any sort of real proof, does not constitute evidence. Unfortunately, the entire concept of "science" and provable research has taken an enormous hit in this era of politically motivated science such as what is going on regarding "climate change," and what passes for medical research in the current era of gaming the system as done by the pharmaceutical companies. So I guess we can regard your regurgitated information as "settled science," to quote a recent former US president.

I will say one thing for the BMW enthusiast community, at least if this particular thread is representative. They question things and don't tend to accept common knowledge as "fact," at least not as much as I am seeing here.

manimal 05-30-2017 07:29 PM

Jesus Christ man, what is your point? What exactly are you "questioning"?

You need to do some more reading, and less posting. There is plenty of debate on the merits around here, if you choose to find it/participate.

champignon 05-30-2017 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by manimal (Post 14221863)

You need to do some more reading, and less posting. There is plenty of debate on the merits around here, if you choose to find it/participate.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree, and ignore each other. I'd be fine with that.

gophaster 05-30-2017 08:06 PM

I for one am happy that we have Dave's Rennkit and Kevin's/UMW new option in the pipes as choices for those that want to retain the functionality of one of the systems on our cars. I prefer to have them ALL working properly ;) Luckily my stock setup is working perfectly (rams were replaced with brand new Porsche OEM about 4 years ago) (knocks on wood).

A few years ago I had considered switching to a GT2 rear decklid but if I did that I also wanted to do the GT2 front bumper...turns out installing a GT2 front bumper and making it function how it's supposed to is quite complicated and expensive. I have zero issue with folks wanting to do the GT2 aero for looks only (I love how it looks!!). Just for me personally I'd rather go with the stock setup since I know for sure it works.

If someone was willing to do as much testing and research as Porsche did to prove that some other setup or lack of setup worked better I'm all for it but until then I want my stock parts to all be working properly ;)

There is a thread that discusses just a bit about the GT2 aero VS TT aero and mix-matching parts here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...ownforces.html

Atrox 05-30-2017 08:27 PM

just read the other threads he has started and you will get a clearer picture.

champignon 05-30-2017 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by gophaster (Post 14221943)
I for one am happy that we have Dave's Rennkit and Kevin's/UMW new option in the pipes as choices for those that want to retain the functionality of one of the systems on our cars. I prefer to have them ALL working properly ;) Luckily my stock setup is working perfectly (rams were replaced with brand new Porsche OEM about 4 years ago) (knocks on wood).

A few years ago I had considered switching to a GT2 rear decklid but if I did that I also wanted to do the GT2 front bumper...turns out installing a GT2 front bumper and making it function how it's supposed to is quite complicated and expensive. I have zero issue with folks wanting to do the GT2 aero for looks only (I love how it looks!!). Just for me personally I'd rather go with the stock setup since I know for sure it works.

If someone was willing to do as much testing and research as Porsche did to prove that some other setup or lack of setup worked better I'm all for it but until then I want my stock parts to all be working properly ;)

There is a thread that discusses just a bit about the GT2 aero VS TT aero and mix-matching parts here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...ownforces.html

Thanks for the link to the other thread, which is interesting, however poses as many questions as it answers and is not really definitive as it pertains to someone driving these cars on public roads at "semi-legal" speeds.

I am personally not a big fan of mods, and avoid doing most of them on my cars. I am in the process of violating that a bit with a BMW 135i that I own with some simple suspension mods that would fit the definition of "stock" on some related but higher performance BMW vehicles.

The 996 Turbo that I purchased had already been modded; generally, I avoid modded cars, but the overall package of this car was sufficiently attractive that I went with it. One then gets to aesthetics; I can definitely see where some people would find this GT2 wing to be either ugly or out of place on a 996 Turbo on which it is not stock, at least to their eyes. Personally speaking, it doesn't bother me, although I can't say that I definitely prefer it to the stock spoiler, which I do have in my possession. What this means is that while I probably would not have done this mod, I don't necessarily feel that I must undo it.

As to the original hydraulic design of the spoiler system, that obviously has not withstood the test of time, since failures are rampant. This is not the only poorly designed aspect of these cars; one only need examine the repair bills that accompanied the vehicle that I bought to realize that this is a fact, these repairs being commonly needed on this vehicle. Nonetheless, these cars are extremely cool and lots of fun to drive, which is why we own them.

It is obviously a good thing that the electrical spoiler lift system has been designed and is available for a very reasonable cost, and also should presumably be much more reliable than the stock system. The raising of the spoiler up and down is a very cool feature, fun to watch, and something I have seen in videos. I have no doubt that in high speed and track use, the spoiler has at least some real functionality. People wanting to have this system functioning within their cars is certainly understandable, in that no one NEEDS to own a 996 Turbo, and everyone will define for themselves what it is that they get out of this ownership. Hobby expenses need not be justified.

At the same time, the idea that these sorts of minor aerodynamic adjustments when a street legal car is driven at normal, close to legal speeds, on public roads, simply does not pass the sniff test; one does not need to be an aeronautical engineer to appreciate that fact. I would suggest that the many different sorts and brands of tires that people put onto these cars, whether advised by the MFR or not, have much more of an impact at normal speeds than whether or not there is a functioning spoiler and whether or not it deploys.

champignon 05-30-2017 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Atrox (Post 14221987)
just read the other threads he has started and you will get a clearer picture.

Thank you for taking such an interest in me and my posts; I do appreciate it.

manimal 05-30-2017 08:56 PM

I've got a pretty good picture, and I'm trying hard not to lump it in with other BMW enthusiasts in the same way that he likes to lump Porsche enthusiasts together.

Atrox 05-30-2017 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by champignon (Post 14222004)
Thank you for taking such an interest in me and my posts; I do appreciate it.

Dont get interest mistaken for annoyance I've seen to many of your pompous uneducated posts to ignore.

manimal 05-30-2017 09:00 PM

And not to encourage anything irresponsible/dangerous/illegal -- but if you're never going above 90+ mph, I'm confused as to why you would be driving a 996TT. Second gear runs out pretty fast.

SeabrookPorsche 05-30-2017 09:36 PM

Kevin,

I am interested in your product. My driver side hydro is weeping, however no failure or failure light yet... On my last Turbo it was leaking as well on the same side and the spoiler would not go up all the way on the driver side.

Thanks again for posting and apologies for all this other back an forth on your thread.

champignon 05-30-2017 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by manimal (Post 14222062)
I've got a pretty good picture, and I'm trying hard not to lump it in with other BMW enthusiasts in the same way that he likes to lump Porsche enthusiasts together.

Only certain Porsche enthusiasts; the ones I have met in person have been perfectly normal.

champignon 05-30-2017 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera (Post 14221745)
This is real life.

I wish. Then I could feel entitled, and I could present myself as you do, and not feel guilty about it.

champignon 05-30-2017 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Atrox (Post 14222072)
Dont get interest mistaken for annoyance I've seen to many of your pompous uneducated posts to ignore.

Congratulations on locating your dictionary, and using an online spell checker.

As to education, it matters not what level you reach, but rather whether you continue to use your brain as time passes.

Were I sufficiently interested in you (which I am not), I would check out your "educated" posts to become better informed. Now, go back into your hole.

Kevin 05-30-2017 10:02 PM

What a THREAD HIJACK....

This thread is for THOSE people that own a car with a leaking hydraulic lift cylinder and want a solution to fix the factory system.. Nothing more, nothing less..

For those folks that want to KEEP the factory system intact and functioning "I" have a solution that I have spent time and money on to bring to the market.

Anyone interested can email me kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com

NOTE: This kit requires that you remove and send me your lift cylinder OR you can disassemble the lift cylinder (save my labor) and send me the Cartridge assy. Additionally, you will have to charge and bleed the system with Pentosin.

champignon 05-30-2017 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by manimal (Post 14222074)
And not to encourage anything irresponsible/dangerous/illegal -- but if you're never going above 90+ mph, I'm confused as to why you would be driving a 996TT. Second gear runs out pretty fast.

That is a very reasonable question. With the possible exception of maybe one of the "hot hatch" type cars (STi, Golf R, Focus RS, etc.), the demographic most likely to use/abuse the power in a street car simply can't afford the cars capable of meeting their "requirements." This perhaps pushes them towards the resale market for cars like old M3s, 996 TT, etc., however the cost of upkeep on these used cars is often a stretch for these people, as well.

So that leaves a few well-off people who track their street vehicles, plus a whole lot more people who buy these high powered cars, for whatever reasons. I would suggest that I am somewhere in that group.

Who wants to own a car that you have to wring out every last little bit of capacity to do a high speed pass on a two lane road? I don't. Are there other performance aspects of a car like the 996TT that are there, other than the excessive drive train power? Of course there are. The handling is very good, and the hydraulic steering gives really good feedback. Plus, occasionally, one does push it with the car, just for fun.

Not a complete answer, but my answer. P

mffarrell 05-30-2017 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 14222211)
What a THREAD HIJACK....

This thread is for THOSE people that own a car with a leaking hydraulic lift cylinder and want a solution to fix the factory system.. Nothing more, nothing less..

For those folks that want to KEEP the factory system intact and functioning "I" have a solution that I have spent time and money on to bring to the market.

NOTE: This kit requires that you remove and send me your lift cylinder OR you can disassemble the lift cylinder (save my labor) and send me the Cartridge assy. Additionally, you will have to charge and bleed the system with Pentosin.

I am in! Somebody get rid of this DB!:banghead::nono::banghead:

champignon 05-30-2017 10:09 PM

What a THREAD HIJACK....

Here is how you could have replied in this thread, and have sold more of your product (which I have every reason to believe is a good product, by the way).

You could be civil. You could acknowledge that you are selling something, and that this perhaps is not an altruistic endeavor.

But from what I have seen, I'll never do business with you, that much is clear. And yes, I am a businessperson and my business sells things to the public, so it isn't like I have no clue about those sorts of things.

Good luck with your product.

******************Addendum********************

Kevin,

It has been pointed out to me by another forum member that I responded to you as being the manufacturer of this electric RAM setup, when in fact you are NOT. I was confused because another member used your name in his post a few posts above, in a way that led me to that conclusion. I also misread your post to imply that, again, my error. Therefore, my comments to you were improper, and I apologize for making them.

Since the beginning of internet forums, in fact dating back to "Usenet," businesspersons have used consumer forums to promote their own interests, often when this is not obvious. I am, perhaps, hypersensitive to this issue, being as I have seen a lot of abuse of it over many years, which is why I responded as I did.

Nonetheless, I was wrong, and I apologize to you for my comments.

mffarrell 05-30-2017 10:11 PM

Get lost mushroom boy!

z06801 05-30-2017 10:14 PM

I'm super stoked for these to come out Kevin! I'll have to wait for the screw blocks are ready to do mine. I too think it's cool to be able to restore a system on the car to work as intended.

Atrox 05-30-2017 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by mffarrell (Post 14222236)
Get lost mushroom boy!

https://rennlist.com/forums/general-...er-buying.html

mffarrell 05-30-2017 10:22 PM

I see your point. lol

z06801 05-30-2017 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by champignon
Here is how you could have replied in this thread, and have sold more of your product (which I have every reason to believe is a good product, by the way).

You could be civil. You could acknowledge that you are selling something, and that this perhaps is not an altruistic endeavor.

But from what I have seen, I'll never do business with you, that much is clear. And yes, I am a businessperson and my business sells things to the public, so it isn't like I have no clue about those sorts of things.

Yeah Kevin you should listen to champignons, maybe this whole Porsche tuning thing could really lead to something. :roflmao:

manimal 05-30-2017 10:41 PM

Yes, and please be civil for a change, Kevin.

champignon 05-30-2017 11:53 PM

I think you should all buy this thing, maybe two of them

wross996tt 05-31-2017 09:50 AM

:evilgrin:

Third-Reef 05-31-2017 11:39 AM

One big misunderstanding here is "street legal speeds" Where my car was born the rear spoiler IS a requirement at street legal speeds and the manual states it.. Go Kevin, I like my hydraulics and they like me. I will maintain mine in a fully functional manner as min as I have the car.

"02996ttx50 05-31-2017 08:26 PM

Sometimes post count and knowledge go hand and hand, and you do get the occasional mass poster who knows his stuff and who is extremely generous with his or her time in helping out others. I have already encountered several people like that on this board. Most people like this are careful to clarify what it is that they know for a fact, and what is questionable, but which they are repeating for the sake of completeness. That sort of posting demeanor helps me in separating out who actually has a handle on what they know, and what they don't know, essential in separating out the credible, from the rest.

i could't agree more with the foregoing..

this crew here and the car itself is as "rough and tumble" as any porsche or forum the interwebs has ever produced ha.. just don't try to say shift knob lol

so personally i think you're taking some "new guy flack" if you must know the truth.. as every post ( and poster ) i've read so far, was in fact proffered by the "mass posters" to whom you've made reference, that are indeed continually sharing their knowledge and experience in an effort to assist.. ( some just tend to repeat themselves :) but i am sure no genuine rancor or ill will toward you is intended, or even exists... every one of these people will "help" you here as you continue down this slippery slope ( modded,.. or not! )...

but back to the spoiler for a moment..

all of that said, you'd be hard pressed to successfully make any argument at all, that porsche's retractable spoiler is not a critical component of the cars design, intended to maximize downforce when necessary with velocities measured in equations involving "aerodynamic coefficients", and that it deploys when porsche believes it should. it is by no means, a "gimmick"..

and yet, the idiosyncratic and often inconsistent operability of this particular unit, afforded by it's rube goldberg award winning design, existing as it does, only i would imagine because as a true "gt" car, built and designed primarily for street use, many of the cars initial buyers and original targeted segment of the market would have been put off and even look askance at the enormity of a fixed wing eg gt2/3. bankers/lawyers and doctors bought these initially, and let's face it, fixed wings are not "subtle" ..

hence, the continuation of the "retractable" spoiler ( one that was quite an oddity, way back when in '93 on my c2-964 ( my first with a movable wing.. though that one was electrically operated and had no hydraulics to fail! )..

lastly, please don't for a minute believe that these cannot either be "maintained" in full working order ( as i have on this current car, with "two re-bleeds" with miles now exceeding 145k, and still with flawless drip free spoiler functionality. or by (b) availing oneself of kevin's new offering which would probably be best for most everyone that doesn't want to mess with the "oem" functionality ( remember kevin?! lol ) or even (c) dave's rennkit fantastic replacement "solution" which offers improvements ( to my eye ) over the original oem setup!

.. and then there's the E-bay 150 bag 'o bolts :rolleyes: "on special" today! mailed right from my garage, and in the original UN used box LOL

so,...hang in there. but you'll still have to wait until next spring, to not be one of the "new guys" any longer lol ;)

"02996ttx50 05-31-2017 08:50 PM

lighten up man, he's not "attacking" anyone ( or wasting paper!..) besides, spoiler threads are better than "oil" threads.. lol. doncha think? ;)

"02996ttx50 05-31-2017 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by champignon (Post 14222232)

Kevin,

It has been pointed out to me by another forum member that I responded to you as being the manufacturer of this electric RAM setup, when in fact you are NOT. I was confused because another member used your name in his post a few posts above, in a way that led me to that conclusion. I also misread your post to imply that, again, my error. Therefore, my comments to you were improper, and I apologize for making them.

Since the beginning of internet forums, in fact dating back to "Usenet," businesspersons have used consumer forums to promote their own interests, often when this is not obvious. I am, perhaps, hypersensitive to this issue, being as I have seen a lot of abuse of it over many years, which is why I responded as I did.

good for you. kevins reputation as a tech/turbo re-builder/manufacturer and seller of parts and all around consistently good guy is without equal. to second guess him would be folly.

good of you to clean that up, in the way that you did.

but agree with all..kevin deserves his thread back, and i am sure i'm not "helping" either.. so.. mea culpa and vayo con dios.

champignon 05-31-2017 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50 (Post 14224405)
i could't agree more with the foregoing..

snippage

Thank you for your kind words.

I do not want to further "intrude" on this thread, and will start another one aimed at collecting some actual data on the drive-ability and functioning of this car with an immovable or non-functioning spoiler.

docboy 06-03-2017 08:28 PM

What a THREAD HIJACK....

Back on topic...

FRUNKenstein 06-04-2017 11:00 PM

Kevin, this and Dave's eRam should make it so that anyone with an inop spoiler has 2 great options to fix it. Thanks for your efforts !

Kraig Strom 07-15-2017 09:30 AM

996 Turbo Wing Hydraulic Repair

I'm new to the conversation. I have a 2003 996 Turbo on the way and I need a solution for the leaky hydraulics. The $150 bag of bolts is my current favorite but if there is a simple rebuild option, I'm interested.

champignon 07-15-2017 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kraig Strom (Post 14324717)
I'm new to the conversation. I have a 2003 996 Turbo on the way and I need a solution for the leaky hydraulics. The $150 bag of bolts is my current favorite but if there is a simple rebuild option, I'm interested.

If I were you and if I wanted to have a functioning spoiler, I'd consider the electrical conversion, personally, however the product that this thread is about would probably be cheaper.

911mhawk 07-16-2017 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kraig Strom (Post 14324717)

Being new to the forum, you can spend countless hours searching and over-analyzing things about these cars. One known fact here is that Kevin @UMW is the man when it comes to knowledge of these cars and what works and doesn't.
You can't go wrong working with him for tuning, upgrades and stock repair needs. The knowledge you get access to as a customer is well worth a few bucks for a great tune or more.
Welcome to the fun!

996TTTS 07-28-2017 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by champignon (Post 14221246)

Never driven a BMW E90 M3, but apparently own one, but you now have me concerned its a fake. Vin number was messed with to match the badge. Apparently the M3 I thought I own has a rear spoiler. Do you see that as another complete waste of space sitting on the boot and is merely taking up valuable revision mirror perspective and does 2/5th's of sweet FA to down force unless you are at 8400 rpm plus. Is it best to despoil it so it looks like a 3 series e90 boot lid.

champignon 07-29-2017 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by 996TTTS (Post 14357706)
Never driven a BMW E90 M3, but apparently own one, but you now have me concerned its a fake. Vin number was messed with to match the badge. Apparently the M3 I thought I own has a rear spoiler. Do you see that as another complete waste of space sitting on the boot and is merely taking up valuable revision mirror perspective and does 2/5th's of sweet FA to down force unless you are at 8400 rpm plus. Is it best to despoil it so it looks like a 3 series e90 boot lid.

Huh?

fpb111 08-01-2017 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by champignon (Post 14222232)

Good luck with your product

Kevin,

champignon,
If the avatar has "Site Sponsor" in it, the entity represented by it is a Vendor.

mffarrell 08-01-2017 02:03 PM

:corn:

911mhawk 09-06-2017 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 14164867)
Over the years I have received a number of emails asking how to fix or repair leaking and failing wings. I decided to approach the repair in a different method. I have CNC'd a rebuildable LIFT cartridge. The cartridge assy will be available for those that want to service one or both leaking wing cylinders. The main reason for the wing failures is due to a couple of 10 cent orings. The orings get flat spotted and a leak slowly develops. Replace the orings and you are up and running.

My repair kit allows owners that want to retain the factory wing assembly AND factory look and operation. I acknowledge the fact that there are other options available in the marketplace. UMW's option is to allow a rebuildable solution for owners and shops.

NOTE: I am looking for two individuals (beta testers)that have tried to bleed there system and have a working knowledge of how the wing hydraulics/system works. The two individuals would need to require the ability to take pictures and documentations as to "there" repair and assembly.

Lastly, I am working on the electric pump assy component repair kit. With the two kits, we will be able to maintain and service our wings for a minimal investment.

For those interested please email me for details and pricing (introductory pricing is available). kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com

Finally got the wing dash light this morning on my way into work so I'll be getting Kevin's repair going soon as the weather turns wet and after one practice bleed on the worn out stuff.

z06801 09-06-2017 06:18 PM

Hey Kevin are these ready to go? I'm going to need both items I think, it's off the car so I should pull it apart and take a look.

TT Oversteer 12-16-2017 05:21 AM

I just pulled my system apart and found the rams to be ok but the plastic lift block inside the pump has cracked and failed. Hoping to hear if this part becomes available soon.

jpflip 12-16-2017 09:11 AM

May be you can ask "grenncalex" to fabricate one? https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...wing-pump.html

mffarrell 01-30-2018 03:16 PM

Has anybody tried Kevin's ram repair yet?

gtred 02-02-2018 07:47 PM

I just ran into this when I did a search for 996 turbo wing repair:

I'm in.

Kevin 02-02-2018 08:14 PM

The engineering feature that I offer with my design is reinforced CNC'd brass features to reduce the stress on the replacement orings. If one does have a future failure you can take the cylinder cartridges apart and repair for $0.40
The cost of repair is $248.00 per cylinder...

993GT 05-16-2018 07:07 PM

PM sent,
Thanks,
Rob

champignon 05-22-2018 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by gtred (Post 14773347)
I just ran into this when I did a search for 996 turbo wing repair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRHUeuESl-U

I'm in.

Got my turbo wing rising

Evolution 05-23-2018 10:12 AM

Just picked up my rebuilt system at the post office on my way into the office. Install tonight. Looking forward to a functioning unit (on the car). Will report back post-install and testing. Thanks Kevin!

-Joe

2fcknfst 07-04-2018 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera (Post 14221745)
This is real life.

Lawyer is my guess.

BillZ260 07-13-2018 03:32 PM

Kevin is awesome to work with, his solution works! I had him bench bleed and test the system for the extra $100, it came from him all boxed up clean and ready to install. No muss, no fuss. Has been working for a few weeks now :)

smsarchitects 09-25-2018 04:19 PM

subscribed, where are they available?

Kevin 09-26-2018 03:54 AM

I can rebuild your failed lift cylinders. $248.00 each..
You can email me kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com

vrage 01-07-2019 02:02 AM

Kevin to the rescue for failed Spoiler.
Very much interested, but how to locate if it is the failed hydraulic cylinders or the hydraulic pump, the spoiler works for now but gives an error message in the dash.
Please suggest Kevin

Kevin 01-07-2019 02:16 AM

You will need to refill the hydraulic system with Pentosin and bleed. In this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...epair-kit.html

Go to post # 10 for simple procedure.

vrage 01-07-2019 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 15547043)
You will need to refill the hydraulic system with Pentosin and bleed. In this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...epair-kit.html

Go to post # 10 for simple procedure.

Thanks for the earnest response Kevin.
I shall try it in the coming weekend, Are you by any chance located in / around the Tri State or would you know anyone who could help me with this.

manimal 01-07-2019 02:23 PM

If you're careful and take your time, it's pretty easy (especially if you have a helper).

WhoDat996tt 03-20-2020 04:09 PM

anyone end up going w/ Kevin's rebuild? Kevin, are you still doing them...? i think I'm about done bleeding/adding fluid to these 19 year old rams...

Evolution 03-20-2020 05:52 PM

I did. Flawless process and flawless wing functionality.

Kevin 03-21-2020 03:43 PM

Ultimate Motorwerks will be offering (shortly)brand new hydraulic wing cylinder cartridges.. I have re-designed the hydraulics to include using 17-4 stainless which allows long term serviceability (I can polish the bore for "years" of service), larger pistons, thicker cylinder walls to prevent distortion due to "HEAT" soak (sitting over the exhaust isn't kind) and more important>serviceability.. Being able to tear them apart and rebuild them for a dollar worth of high grade/high temp VITON orings and nylon packing

http://ultimatemotorwerks.com/wingcylinders.html

I am testing the new cylinders. I am in the midst of production and will post when I am ready to receive new orders. I am really excited for the new product and being able to service "our wings" well into the future.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e9fe44f810.png

flaudia402 03-21-2020 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 16495980)
Ultimate Motorwerks will be offering (shortly)brand new hydraulic wing cylinder cartridges.. I have re-designed the hydraulics to include using 17-4 stainless which allows long term serviceability (I can polish the bore for "years" of service), larger pistons, thicker cylinder walls to prevent distortion due to "HEAT" soak (sitting over the exhaust isn't kind) and more important>serviceability.. Being able to tear them apart and rebuild them for a dollar worth of high grade/high temp VITON orings and nylon packing

http://ultimatemotorwerks.com/wingcylinders.html

I am testing the new cylinders. I am in the midst of production and will post when I am ready to receive new orders. I am really excited for the new product and being able to service "our wings" well into the future.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e9fe44f810.png

Looking forward to this! Do you have an ETA?

Kevin 03-22-2020 06:09 PM

flaudia, I would recommend emailing me kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com to get on my "Interested Customer List"
Request that you are interested in a) New Wing Cylinder kit b) New Wing Cylinder kit plus pump rebuild c) Full exchange Wing Kit which includes the entire Wing Cylinders, Pump and lines "ready" to go.
I'm working on getting it "out" for prime time LOL
Thanks!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e5b4904dc3.png

flaudia402 03-22-2020 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 16498206)
flaudia, I would recommend emailing me kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com to get on my "Interested Customer List"
Request that you are interested in a) New Wing Cylinder kit b) New Wing Cylinder kit plus pump rebuild c) Full exchange Wing Kit which includes the entire Wing Cylinders, Pump and lines "ready" to go.
I'm working on getting it "out" for prime time LOL
Thanks!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e5b4904dc3.png

Email sent! Thanks!

Bernard IV 03-15-2021 02:30 AM

Are the cylinder cartridges now available?

champignon 03-15-2021 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bernard IV (Post 17296711)
Are the cylinder cartridges now available?

These have become popular for use as sex toys by the ruling elite in N. Korea. As a result, there has been a backlog on ordering, but they should be available to the general public very soon!

Kevin 04-21-2021 05:06 PM

I am pleased to report that the Ultimate Motorwerks NEW replacement hydraulic wing cylinder cartridges are finished. I will be posting pictures shortly and ordering details.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5126f7bf34.png

Kevin 04-21-2021 05:10 PM

For those that have emailed me to get in the last 45 to 60 days. I am asking that you email me ( kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com ) so that I can follow up with you. Thank you.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...567e1d4abe.png

Kevin 04-22-2021 03:43 AM

Here is a set of pictures for the Ultimate Motorwerks hydraulic wing cylinders. A few years ago, I set out to build a conversion kit that would allow anyone to replace the failing hydraulic seals.
Over time I realized that the factory extruded brass (the material was to soft) did not respond well to honing and did not keep a perfect bore.
The factory wing cylinder was swaged at both ends. This restricted the access to the seals. My design allow for easy access and replacement.

Due to "world events" this build took way too much time and money in engineering, design and manufacturing. The main cylinder body diameter has been increased to prevent bore distortion from heat and stress. The wall thickness has nearly tripled..
Most industrial hydraulics use steel and stronger materials vs brass. I selected 17-4 stainless (strength and corrosion resistance) and heat treated the material to 1150 (maximum strength) and decided to gun drill all the cylinder bores. This process will give the cylinder a straight bore from the top to bottom.
Once the bore was drilled the bore was finished honed to a spec that will allow the perfect seal.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...011ddd3755.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0eb32ada02.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c1a317e39e.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b25f1f06fb.jpg
The above pictures show the new wing cylinder cartridge installed in the wing cylinder ram assy. And pictures showing the factory brass cylinder cartridge next to the Ultimate Motorwerks wing cylinder.
Pricing will be broken down to, Fully assembled Wing cylinder ram assemblies. And, Complete "turn key" Hydraulic wing systems which will include the assembled wing cylinder ram assemblies, hydraulic lines and pump assembly.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...744a72dee2.png

Evolution 04-22-2021 10:27 AM

Fabulous Kevin, congrats!

Carlo_Carrera 04-22-2021 10:28 AM

Nice work Kevin.

Bernard IV 04-22-2021 12:16 PM

Looks really good. Not cheap I imagine.

Kevin 04-24-2021 08:25 PM

Spent some time building the taller 997TT CAB wing cylinder cartridges.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8d7ec38414.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bd44bad779.png

napoleon1981 04-25-2021 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bernard IV (Post 17383287)
Looks really good. Not cheap I imagine.

When prices are kept secretive thats usually not a good sign.

Bernard IV 04-25-2021 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by napoleon1981 (Post 17389722)
When prices are kept secretive thats usually not a good sign.

Yah super secret pricing. He's got a lot of time into a bit of a lower volume selling part so I'm not blaming anyone. It costs what it costs. I know the Pspeed guys are at around $800.

Brainz 04-25-2021 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 17388537)
Spent some time building the taller 997TT CAB wing cylinder cartridges.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8d7ec38414.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bd44bad779.png

Nice work, Kevin. Those look terrific. Your stainless cylinders are beautiful and are likely to outlast the car.

In 2018, I managed to make a pair of serviceable cylinders from scratch for my 997 using a small hobby lathe -- I don't remember now how much time I spent, but it was a lot. I didn't have the tools to ream a smooth cylinder bore, so I bought brass tubing that matched the factory dimension and silver soldered machined fittings onto the tubing that allows for servicing the o-rings. I also didn't want to do internal threading, so I ended up using 3 cross-drilled set screws that recess into a relief groove on a removable part.

Here's a picture of my work. I'm not advertising or selling -- this was done all for the learning/challenge -- it's not my business. I'm happy to offer thoughts to others on what I did, but this is really not DIY stuff unless you've got access to a lathe and know how to use it. Sorry, no pictures of individual pieces, and I'm not about to take it all apart again...

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d250bc3a08.jpg

Kevin 04-25-2021 04:24 PM

Pricing depends on what each individual has for damaged or missing components. From a single hydraulic cylinder ram assy to a full rebuild of the hydraulic pump, hydraulic lines and two hydraulic cylinder ram assy.
Recent examples have new 996TT owners finding out that there new 996TT have fixed rear wings. Only to find out that they don't have a hydraulic pump, and/or hydraulic lines. This also includes finding missing or cut electrical harness and failed limit switches.
However, I will say that Retail pricing for a rebuilt 996TT wing cylinder RAM assy is $795.00 This price requires the owner to send me his wing cylinder RAM assy in for rebuild.
On top of that, Car dealers, and Porsche dealers want complete working hydraulic wing assemblies. Plug and play Exchanged.

My new 996TT and 997TT hydraulic wing cylinders RAM assemblies are unique. We now have a "New" redesigned cartridge that will allow VITON oring replacement.
I can now "hone" the bore to clean up any scoring from alkaline buildup (from high detergent car washing). I even have oversized piston packs if I have to oversize the bore.
Ultimate Motorwerks 996TT and 997TT wing cylinder RAM assemblies are available for owners and Automotive sales and repair centers that want to keep the factory system.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...baaa1e7431.png

Bernard IV 04-25-2021 05:01 PM

Any possibility I could just buy 2 ram cylinders and have them sent to my place? :)

jpflip 04-25-2021 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bernard IV (Post 17390049)
Any possibility I could just buy 2 ram cylinders and have them sent to my place? :)

I like that ;-)

Jeff777 06-13-2022 01:06 PM

I have a driver side spoiler that doesn't extend all the way either automatically or manually. It will retract both ways but only extends about an inch while the passenger side extends full length. There is no apparent leak and no noise. The durametric doesn't show any fault codes. Would this be indicative of a microswitch or hydraulic issue?
Driving a 2001 996 turbo.

Cheers
Jeff

RennKit-Dave 06-13-2022 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff777 (Post 18194919)
I have a driver side spoiler that doesn't extend all the way either automatically or manually. It will retract both ways but only extends about an inch while the passenger side extends full length. Would this be indicative of a microswitch or hydraulic issue?

Cheers
Jeff

Probably low on Pentosin PS fluid. That side has no microswitches (unlike the Carrera GT) so the computer doesn't know it is malfunctioning. There are methods to top off the hydraulics and bleed, including one guy that recommends removing the back lid altogether.

Kevin 06-13-2022 04:13 PM

I would disconnect your two wiring connectors at the electric pump motor. This is done to prevent the drive block damage internally.
When you have time, you can empty, fill and bleed the wing hydraulic assy. Use Pentosin and 30% by volume Lucus Power Steering stop leak. (Don't use more than that)
For minor leaks this will cure flat spotted orings. I have new wing cylinder ram assy available..

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5344b1ff33.png

Jeff777 06-22-2022 08:30 PM

Thanks guys. It seems to have worked. Definitely could use a helper but all good so far!

Jeff777 06-24-2022 09:51 PM

Maybe a bit premature to celebrate. When I put the cover over the micro switches it seemed to trigger the warning. So I left off the cover off (is this a good idea due engine heat?) and the warning stayed off. Went for a short drive and the spoiler worked up and down both manually and automatically. A few seconds after first spoiler deployment the warning came on but the spoiler still operated. Both micro switches seemed to be still seated after the drive although the rear switch seemed the least solid. Any ideas? Is this a microswitch issue to be replaced?
Thanks

RennKit-Dave 06-24-2022 09:59 PM

You certainly need new microswitches.

Kevin 06-24-2022 11:58 PM

If you have not bled the system good enough, you can have issues. The upper microswitch might not trip or hangs. The chrome plated cylinder has notches that trip the "sail switch" Upper and lower...
Make sure that your cylinders are reaching the max height and do not sag.
Did you remove the microswitches during the drain, refill and bleed process? How many times did you cycle the pump? Did you measure the extension "max height"
Rarely do I see microswitches fail, usually they suffer handling or collision damage. If you bend the sail switch>> you will have problems.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...39eeb268a7.png

Jeff777 06-25-2022 05:24 PM

Thanks Dave and Kevin. I did disconnect the microswitches during draining, bleeding, filling. I cycled the pumps 4-5 times using battery charger. I did notice some bubbles in the jar from lines while bleeding. From the rear the spoiler raises approx 3 inches. I just went out to the car and cycled the spoiler up/dowm both engine running and off and there were no warnings. My durametric shows no fault codes. It's possible I didn't bleed enough. I really don't know.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...552769961.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a92dc72b3.jpeg

Kevin 06-25-2022 10:46 PM

I always recommend removing the entire microswitch assy. Remove the torq fasteners on the hydraulic lift assy. Gently pull it back and watch the clearance of the sail switches (upper and lower) they are extremely fragile.
I'd also remove the entire hydraulic wing assy and put it on a bench. Pump, lines and the two wing cylinders. Obviously, you will need to remove the switch/microswitch assy.
From my testing with the wing off, you need a minimum of 3.125" extension to have a success. On rebuilt cylinders you can have 3.250 fully bled. This is the max upper limit, testing on the bench.
I would also recommend that you leave the wing cylinders extended over night.. I'd also cycle them more than 5 times prior to re-assembly.

All in all it is a simple system. Every owner should be refilling and bleeding the wing cylinder assy. Similar to brakes and clutch systems.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8610868289.png