Sponsored by:

No more wide body LED tailights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:48 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 593 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
MotoJB - Just curious why the Haterade for Delray Customs? I have no affiliation, other than buying mine from them.
They charged $895 for the same set of depot lights...plus tax and PLUS $80 in shipping from Los Angeles, CA to Northern CA. They wouldn't budge on their ridiculous $80 shipping fee. It doesn't even cost them $15 to ship from socal to norcal. In the end, they wanted $1005 for a set of taillights. I told them to pound sand. Then I found them in the UK for almost $300 cheaper, landed to the US.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:01 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oak
hmmm.... no thanks not sure what is appeal?
Hmmm...because the stock lights look old and dated? Because mine were cracked to pieces on all of the mounting tabs...and stock lights are more expensive than buying modern LED's? Because LED's update the look of the car?

My GT3 and 3RS buddies also upgraded their tails and no one seems to complain about them...

Old 05-12-2017, 02:02 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sveach756
MotoJB those look great, any other pictures. I have a white turbo as well and kind of like the look and those prices don't seem terrible either.
Thanks
Shawn
Here are more pics...

Old 05-12-2017, 02:04 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

I love the look....way better than stock IMO.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Hmmm...because the stock lights look old and dated? Because mine were cracked to pieces on all of the mounting tabs...and stock lights are more expensive than buying modern LED's? Because LED's update the look of the car?

My GT3 and 3RS buddies also upgraded their tails and no one seems to complain about them...

I just wish the LED replacements for our cars looked more like the LEDs of those GT3s.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 05-12-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:33 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I just wish the LED replacements for our cars looked more the LEDs of those GT3s.
Me too...but it seems no one is willing to design a new set.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:54 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Nzo
Looks like someone else is producing them, this listing shows what looks like a slightly different led config on the inside.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEAR-RED-LE...5XPnWp&vxp=mtr
Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
those look different alright! seems like every iteration of them gets "rice and cheesier".
Looks the same to me, just with the photos taken at a different angle. Still has the row of reflectors along the bottom and shape of the white part of the lens. Maybe a little different LED configuration.

They charged $895 for the same set of depot lights...plus tax and PLUS $80 in shipping from Los Angeles, CA to Northern CA. They wouldn't budge on their ridiculous $80 shipping fee. It doesn't even cost them $15 to ship from socal to norcal. In the end, they wanted $1005 for a set of taillights. I told them to pound sand. Then I found them in the UK for almost $300 cheaper, landed to the US.
OK, got it. I was hoping it was just price and not something more sinister. It's funny you mention that. I went to their website and put the taillights in my shopping cart, but just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger based on the cost. So, I called and asked them for a promo code or discount, too. They said no. So, I decided not to buy. Then about a week later, I got an email from them with a discount code for, I think, 15% off. So, I think I paid right at $800 or maybe $830 all total with shipping to KC.

Other than paying more than you did, I've been really pleased with them. At the $700 total price you got, hell, that's worth just having them to try/change out the look or as an extra set of taillights in case something happens to the OEM taillights (like the mounts crack and they fall out and get damaged like you see reported in here from time to time).
Old 05-12-2017, 02:59 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

I like the look of the OEM lights just fine. But, the LEDs just look better IMHO. I like Claire just fine, but if I had to choose between her and Gloria . . .

Old 05-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

they look goofy. trying to make it something it's not. if they look dated you need to get an updated turbo.

cheap and cheesey
Old 05-12-2017, 03:12 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

So, no mods to your car, Oak?
Old 05-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

tons of mods. just don't understand the obsession with the cheap lenses.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:33 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Well, to each his own. I like 'em anyway, but my car came with blacked-out taillights and sidemarkers, which I really did not like. So, I was going to replace the taillights one way or another. Didn't make sense to spend more $$ to get an OEM set when I liked the look of the LEDs better and they are brighter (read "safer"). Kind of like if your original stereo goes out - do you buy a Porsche CDR-whatever tape deck for $500 or a new, state of the art Bluetooth head unit for $250?

Anyway, it's an opinion. There's no wrong answer.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Well, to each his own. I like 'em anyway, but my car came with blacked-out taillights and sidemarkers, which I really did not like. So, I was going to replace the taillights one way or another. Didn't make sense to spend more $$ to get an OEM set when I liked the look of the LEDs better and they are brighter (read "safer"). Kind of like if your original stereo goes out - do you buy a Porsche CDR-whatever tape deck for $500 or a new, state of the art Bluetooth head unit for $250?

Anyway, it's an opinion. There's no wrong answer.
I get the blue tooth thing but these look so cheesy remind of something from Jc Whitney
Old 05-12-2017, 04:53 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Aww, you're right. Back to OEM it is.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:34 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

its a personal preference. i would love led tails biut i cant live with the style trying to look like a 997 when i own a 996. especially with the led lights going thru the middle of the body seam on the lights. to me (and its just my .02) that kills the look. the other cars that upgraded kept the same style with updated lighting . that makes a huge difference

Quick Reply: No more wide body LED tailights?