Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune, Cobb vs UMW

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Why would such a thing need to be private? Isn't that what forums are for? To discuss things...
Old 05-05-2017, 01:30 PM
mxracer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Berra
Why would such a thing need to be private? Isn't that what forums are for? To discuss things...
See previous post.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:58 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

i've got Kevin's tune and data logger, had it ordered first week of ownership and about 10K miles on it now. Kevin's support is awesome, the amount of torque this car has is insane. He's quick to get on a call and discuss any issues, concerns, etc.

I've also purchased from Sam, he's answered calls on weekends, I've sat and facetimed with his kid, he's truly someone that is there to make sure you are taken care of. I don't run cobb tune, but I will probably move over in the future when I do turbo's.

With that said, you absolutely cannot go wrong with either.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:22 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 602 Posts

Here's something interesting that I sort of realizes I read and I can't even hone it down to only those mentioned in this thread. When Kevin was in California more we ran quite a few of his turbocharger upgrades. On my personal car he took care of me also. We used to turn those since the 90s with GIAC and Todd at Protmotive. Still do when the shoe fits! Many many years ago we even did a set of Kevin's turbos and a few different tunes on Markski's car LOL. Since then we have all made a name for ourselves and stuck around by being dedicated to what we do. Since then I have still worked a little bit directly or even indirectly with everyone and driven all of their handiwork and dealt with their customers and it's good. This is actually kind of rare these days and you will notice a pattern. One of us can't handle all of it and everyone does have a slightly different approach but the beautiful thing for the customers and members is that you have a few good places to go. Sometimes a little bit of search or a referral or a few phone calls and you're good. In many cases with this industry we don't have that option. I learned from the best and gathered from the best and I also appreciate everyone who I feel is in the small circle of the best. There's more to it than just horsepower.

Have an awesome weekend guys and if anyone needs me you know where to find me. If you ever feel stuck I can bring a few different flavors together for you to meet your needs.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
The following users liked this post:
vokain (04-15-2022)
Old 05-05-2017, 08:41 PM
Gt3stig
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^^^
🍺🍺another toast to Sam🍺🍺
Old 05-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 410 Posts

Cool how these guys all do great work and get along. Very rare amoung competition these days. Kudos to you guys. Now let's set up a RACE...JK
Old 05-11-2017, 01:51 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 602 Posts

Old 05-14-2017, 11:12 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drinaldis
OP, asking this kind of question in an open forum is troll bait. Many folks comment when they don't have direct personal experience with more than one tuner. Some do however. If you want honest opinions rephrase your question and converse via PM.

Just my 2 cents.

+1
Old 05-16-2017, 01:11 PM
centexsi
Instructor

I've got the Cobb and love it. Changed the car. Love being able to display data on the car (oil temp, actual manifold pressure, etc) with the Accessport. You can display up to 6 gauges on the display. You can also change tunes on the fly and if you are close to a Cobb center can get a custom tune on it. Also has a 0-60 timer, dyno, datalogger and some other cool options that you can't get anywhere else. I weighed the pros/cons and working with someone remotely just seemed like too much effort as the Cobb solution is quick (10 minutes out of the box and you're rolling). My $.02.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:39 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Just for future references to this thread, yes customization is great, but you do need to be careful with "playing around" with tune parameters. I would recommend to not do it unless you know what you are doing or are willing to buy a new engine...LOL
Old 05-16-2017, 02:56 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by centexsi
I've got the Cobb and love it. Changed the car. Love being able to display data on the car (oil temp, actual manifold pressure, etc) with the Accessport. You can display up to 6 gauges on the display. You can also change tunes on the fly and if you are close to a Cobb center can get a custom tune on it. Also has a 0-60 timer, dyno, datalogger and some other cool options that you can't get anywhere else. I weighed the pros/cons and working with someone remotely just seemed like too much effort as the Cobb solution is quick (10 minutes out of the box and you're rolling). My $.02.
You debated the pros/cons of doing it quickly vs. doing it right, and settled on doing it quickly? An off-the-shelf tune will never match a custom tune for your car from a good tuner, regardless of the technology used.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:50 PM
centexsi
Instructor

Originally Posted by manimal
You debated the pros/cons of doing it quickly vs. doing it right, and settled on doing it quickly? An off-the-shelf tune will never match a custom tune for your car from a good tuner, regardless of the technology used.
If you have nothing more than exhaust on your car (which is what I have) then there little to gain from a protune as the Cobb OTS stage 2 tune is optimized for that setup. I put maybe 1000 miles a year on my car and drive it conservatively and didn't see the point. For someone with more mods and driving it hard I can see why you'd want a custom tune.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:02 PM
Drinaldis
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by centexsi
If you have nothing more than exhaust on your car (which is what I have) then there little to gain from a protune as the Cobb OTS stage 2 tune is optimized for that setup. I put maybe 1000 miles a year on my car and drive it conservatively and didn't see the point. For someone with more mods and driving it hard I can see why you'd want a custom tune.
I might have to disagree. The splendor of a custom tune on an otherwise stock car is quiet valuable. My tune (Markski) is optimized for my particular fuel, ambient temps, and condition of my engine. No more flat spots and surges that hamper drivability, etc. Can't beat that.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:30 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I am always amused at the minutia spoken of in most discussions of ots vs "custom" optimized tunes particularly when referencing cars with minimal bolt on mods.

While I have discussed upgrading my old 1.3 tune with a few known experts, I simply can't justify it. My car runs perfectly; will hold 1.2-1.3 far longer than I can, and has no flat spots, hesitations, or anything other than full boost power all the way thru the rev band with a raised limiter solidly to 7200rpm.

But I did just put in a new maf today, and I was worried that upgrades were needed.. and yet it again goes just like a stung mule.. and as far as I'm concerned.. that was an updated tune lol

I can't help but wonder, what could I possibly be "missing"? Not much I bet. ha
Old 05-16-2017, 10:10 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
I am always amused at the minutia spoken of in most discussions of ots vs "custom" optimized tunes particularly when referencing cars with minimal bolt on mods.

While I have discussed upgrading my old 1.3 tune with a few known experts, I simply can't justify it. My car runs perfectly; will hold 1.2-1.3 far longer than I can, and has no flat spots, hesitations, or anything other than full boost power all the way thru the rev band with a raised limiter solidly to 7200rpm.

But I did just put in a new maf today, and I was worried that upgrades were needed.. and yet it again goes just like a stung mule.. and as far as I'm concerned.. that was an updated tune lol

I can't help but wonder, what could I possibly be "missing"? Not much I bet. ha
+1
i have this old umw tune and I get a consistent 1.2 which makes it actually faster than my newer 662 hp Shelby ( see other thread about that).

Too bad there's no middle ground after a tune; have to go right to other turbos for more real power
Already have K 24s stock and perceive really none of the typical lag commonly associated with them.
I guess we should consider ourselves lucky because some cars like the Shelby get NOTHING on a tune alone. The tuner is only there to accomodate for actual physical modifications added/changed.

Quick Reply: Tune, Cobb vs UMW