Sponsored by:

tubi exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Turbo Ron
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tubi exhaust

Just picked my car up from the dealer with the new 2003 tubi exhaust system. I love the way it sounds from the outside. It has a fairly loud exhaust note to it. Sounds like a race car. The problem is the sound on the inside when just crusing at about 2500 rpm. Deep renosance sound. Other than that, I am wondering whether I will get used to the sound. My main concern is on a long trip where you might cruise in 6th gear at about 2500 rpm. I was told by the dealer if I do not like the way it sounds they will put back on the factory exhaust no charge. I have notified them I want to change back Monday. I paid $4600 installed by the dealer. I at least get the chance to drive it this weekend and make my final desision. My question to all of you. Are most all these sport exhaust somewhat loud in the cabin? My 2000 carrera had the stock exhaust opened up and baffels removed by Ogner Porsche. It was loud when I stepped on the gas, but very quiet in the cabin when just cruising. I also love the big tips, much better than oem. I love the race car sound. One friend said he could here me from 3 blocks away, when I put the pedal to the floor. He thinks it sounds great. ?????????????? Any one else with this exhaust, or can anyone shed some light on this subject. I have two days to decide.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:17 PM
Turbo Ron
Instructor

Also, is it possible that this tubi is 50 pounds lighter than the stock exhaust? Does it add or subtract HP? Any ideas?
Old 11-15-2003, 08:02 AM
cobra06
Pro

Old rule of thumb was 1 H.P. /7 lbs.
A well designed sports exhaust should not have a noticeable annoying resonance. The Tubi is a tube design and like a musical wind instrument will resonate. It's not worth putting up with the noise and vibration, and on long trips it can and will cause headaches and fatigue.
There are other designs out there that sound better with minimal resonance making driving more pleasurable
Old 11-15-2003, 09:20 AM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The B&B does this on my 84 Carrera and yet it can be annoying while in the cruising RPM range. I'd have it changed, but haven't got any suggestions for you.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:53 AM
Turbo Ron
Instructor

I will drive it this weekend, and probably have it removed Monday. I will probably stay with the stock exhaust, and find some other crazy thing to do to an already perfect car.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:11 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo Ron,

Thank you so much for this post. The are a few of us that have been asking about the Tubi and the noise in the cabin. The question we had regarded the noise in the cabin.

I too am looking for an exhaust that sounds nice but does not give me headaches in the cabin.

I still have not figured it out. But at least i know the Tubi is not an option.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Turbo Ron
Instructor

I have driven the car with the tubi for 1 day now. True it is a little noisy going through the 2500 rpm range. I had my friend drive it up and down the streets, and I must say it is one of the best sounding exhausts I have heard. One thing I noticed is that it doesn't hang down like all the other sport exhaust I have seen. I like that. My girlfriend said her ears were ringing when she got out. Earplugs for her. I may keep this exhaust? Weather permitting, I will do a canyon run tomorrow. I do not want to discourage anyone from getting this exhaust. I am a young 54 years of age. Most of you are half my age, and can tolerate a little noise. I have one more day to decide.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:44 PM
Turbo Ron
Instructor

I had the tubi removed today and went to pick up my car at the dealer, and they scrapped the bumper while driving the car in their own facility. Bummer it was the rear bumper that did not even have a scratch. I wish they scratched the front bumper instead because I have a few rock chips. As compensation they are going to do a wheel repair for me. I bought the car with a little curb rash. The tubi was the best sounding exhaust system I ever heard. Inside the cab their was a little to much noise for me between 2200 and 2790 rpm. If you can handle a little noise, I would go with this system. Also it does not hang down so you don't see it. The tips are huge. They fill the whole area.

Quick Reply: tubi exhaust