Sponsored by:

Flat tire...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Flat tire...

Thought Turbo flat tires were behind me but apparently not. Or maybe they were. The right rear tire went flat on the way to work.

Managed to detect this and get the car back to the dealer before tire went really flat, which it proceeded to do after I parked it on the service driveway.

Tires worn enough that I know even if road hazard coverage buys me a new right rear tire the left one I'll have to replace out of pocket so instructed SA to just replace the left tire whether road hazard covers the right one or not.

Oh, and 500 miles premature but do an oil/filter service while the car is there.

Caught a ride back home and grabbed my faithful Boxster (with pretty new tires) and made it to the office not too much after my usual start time (between dawn and dusk).
Old 04-24-2017, 08:42 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You were lucky to get it to someplace before you were riding on the rim. Even luckier that is was a dealer that could deal with it. Blessed that you got a ride and have a back up Porsche to get you to work.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
You were lucky to get it to someplace before you were riding on the rim. Even luckier that is was a dealer that could deal with it. Blessed that you got a ride and have a back up Porsche to get you to work.
Lucky to be sure, but mad that I skipped my usual "pre-flight" checkout this AM for I would have probably spotted the low tire.

Unless the tire picked up something after I left the parking space. The car was last used Friday and I have to think had the tire picked up something Friday the tire would have been flat before I even left for work.

Dealer got in touch via email to inform me road hazard/warranty on the tires expired in February. Rats!

Dealer quoted me roughly $654.18 for two rear tires with as much discount as can be allowed. We'll see what that turns out to be.

This tire episode reminded me why I keep the Boxster around.

It is still a good car, a good car to commute to work with, and a good (and necessary) backup to the Turbo.

Last edited by Macster; 04-24-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Changed $685 to $654.18 which is the quoted price.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:10 PM
jungt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macster, it just so happens that my right rear tire may contact with road hazard at a precarious location where I could not pull over but did manage to slow down until I was able to stop safely. I changed to the collapsible spare and drove home slowly. I inspected the tire and found the hole....nice and neat in the tread without the offending projectile. Must have flew out. I made a temporary repair with a great mushroom plugger. There was a slight bulge on the inside but I was surprised at the minimal damage after having driven on the deflated tire for a mile.

I know I was looking a replacing this tire and that likely it would require both rears as have been recommended by many posters. The tires had 70% wear left. They are not the best tires since they were Sumitomo's but perfect for my type of driving. After a search on EBay I was able to find the exact tire with roughly 70% wear delivered for $65.00.

This maybe a future approach to saving some cash on 2 new replacement tires under these conditions.

John
Old 04-26-2017, 11:19 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jungt
Macster, it just so happens that my right rear tire may contact with road hazard at a precarious location where I could not pull over but did manage to slow down until I was able to stop safely. I changed to the collapsible spare and drove home slowly. I inspected the tire and found the hole....nice and neat in the tread without the offending projectile. Must have flew out. I made a temporary repair with a great mushroom plugger. There was a slight bulge on the inside but I was surprised at the minimal damage after having driven on the deflated tire for a mile.

I know I was looking a replacing this tire and that likely it would require both rears as have been recommended by many posters. The tires had 70% wear left. They are not the best tires since they were Sumitomo's but perfect for my type of driving. After a search on EBay I was able to find the exact tire with roughly 70% wear delivered for $65.00.

This maybe a future approach to saving some cash on 2 new replacement tires under these conditions.

John
A few times I've had a tire fixed, but this time I drove too long on the tire and driving on a low tire ruins the tire. When I dropped the car off the SA asked if I wanted to see if the tire could be fixed but because of how much I drove I told her the tire would probably be found to be unrepairable. And I don't know where the puncture was located or its size which if too close to the side wall or too big may have rendered the tire unsuitable for a repair even if the rest of the tire was ok.

Also, I'm really reluctant to stop anywhere on the road to change a tire. The way people drive out here on their damn cell phones scares the bejeesus out of me. I see cars wander into other lanes into the bike lane all the time. (On the way to work yesterday on the freeway I had a box truck wander over into my lane and I had to take action to avoid contact.)

I'd hate to be on the side of the road changing a tire. And I think I have to change two tires. I believe with the Turbo the procedure is to remove the flat rear tire and then move the front wheel to the back then put the spare on the front.

Besides after I change the tire I have to run it over to the other side of town to see if the indy tire shop will fix the thing and I was already running late for work.

Quick Reply: Flat tire...