Sponsored by:

DE Brake Pad recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default DE Brake Pad recommendation

I will be doing my first DE with the Turbo after having the coolant lines welded. I didnt feel the risk to others or myself on the track was worth it until the coolant repair was properly tackled for good.

I would really like to hear some recommendations from you all on some good pads to use for a DE. I will be driving about 50 miles to (Mid Ohio), so they need to be something that will have enough cold stop not to get me killed. I run in the intermediate group for reference. Powderhound mentioned he liked the Endless MX72 pads, and I have a reference that runs Pagid Orange and likes those as well. Im open to suggestions. I will switch these pads out for stock to use on the street after the event. Something that will not completely obliterate my rotors is always a plus. I am currently on a completely stock braking system with fresh Motul 600 bled through a few weeks ago to prep for the season.

Thanks

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
pop.tremuloides (06-22-2022)
Old 04-04-2017, 10:11 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,446 Posts

PFC 11
RennKit-Dave (05-14-2022)
Old 04-05-2017, 02:29 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
PFC 11
Especially if you have a tune and are running R compounds, that plus look into adding the big, expensive GT2 brake ducts. The "fast intermediate" is probably hardest on brakes of all, as the high roadholding and acceleration of or cars brings high speeds, but we (I count myself in this group) tend to
over-brake. I started with Pagid yellows, but they stopped working well as speeds increased. Factor in that Pagids become pretty bad past 1/2 wear, and they become a very expensive option. While I haven't worn my PFCs past half yet, they have had better wear and good performance thus far. Don't worry too much about rotor wear. They will crack up long before the surface wears away 🙂.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:27 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

If you're going to swap pads for track days, PFC is good. You can drive them on the street but they're noisy, hard on rotors, and lack the cold bite a street pad will give you, nothing unsafe though. Typical of all race pads. Run 08 front, 11 rear. PFCs are hard on rotors, run GT2 front and rear ducts to aid with cooling. Endless 650 is great fluid. Disconnecting PSM or at the very least turn it off via the dash switch. PSM cooks the rear brakes. Have fun...

Last edited by powdrhound; 04-07-2017 at 03:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:56 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

+1 on PFC 08/11 combo and GT2 ducts, I've had good luck with Motul RBF600 fluid
PFC's will work on street, but are noisy/harsh when cold...I actually found them to have great cold bite as well however
I do run OEM/TRW for street now after using PFC on street for a while, PFC track only now
Old 04-05-2017, 03:50 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I like the pfc 08/11s combo. I don't have much noise issue nor issue cold issues.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jayzbird
Especially if you have a tune and are running R compounds, that plus look into adding the big, expensive GT2 brake ducts. The "fast intermediate" is probably hardest on brakes of all, as the high roadholding and acceleration of or cars brings high speeds, but we (I count myself in this group) tend to
over-brake. I started with Pagid yellows, but they stopped working well as speeds increased. Factor in that Pagids become pretty bad past 1/2 wear, and they become a very expensive option. While I haven't worn my PFCs past half yet, they have had better wear and good performance thus far. Don't worry too much about rotor wear. They will crack up long before the surface wears away ��.
As I understand it, there are two different classes of 'Pagid Yellows'. The original equipment street ones, and the endurance racing ones (RSL19 or RSL29, used to be called RS19 or RS29 IIRC).

Those Pagid RSL 19/29s did great for fast track days and sprint race meets on my 996T, even with factory ducts, calipers and rotors. I eventually did find I started boiling Motul RBF600 towards the end of some of the faster sprints, so I went to Castrol React SRF and that hasn't been a problem since.

The 19/29s were fine on track, and I chose them because they work well cold at low speeds too for the street. You must just be OK with your car squealing like a bus though 'because racecar'.

Last change I wanted to put something a little grippier out back but lack of RSL pad availability at the time saw me instead have to put Pagid RSTs sprint pads (3s I think, for their better cold performance) up front and RSLes out back (29s I believe, but perhaps 19s - they are pretty close in performance). Contrary to expectations, that has gone well for me too, and with improved pedal feel, but perhaps at the expense of needing a little more pedal effort on road when dead cold. Same squealing on road, but that doesn't bother me.

The RSTs do tend to run a bit hotter though, and a couple of people came up to tell me my front rotors were glowing a strong dull-to-mid orange under the midday sun while coming into the turn off the main straight at my last sprints. So the RST3s ran a bit hotter than the RSLs used to. On the day, I thanked those people, let them know she was set up to handle that, and then asked them to come back and let me know again if the rotors got to bright orange as that would be about the limit of my comfort on that front. I also started shopping around for upgraded ducting afterwards of course.

I have never run PFCs, but I understand that they mostly also run hot, so upgraded ducts are probably a good idea if going there and really pushing it. If looking for a dual duty street and race pad, it would also pay to check that their friction curves don't taper off too badly at low speeds.

Pagid's curves only start at 100 Celsius but still give some meaningful indication on that front by looking at the slope of the curve there. Same princilpes would apply to evaluaitng PFCs or whatever for mixed track and road use:

SRF gives great peace of mind but I find pedal feel is down a bit as it is slightly more compressible from the get go and that becomes noticeable as it gets hotter. The payback though is that I've never yet managed to boil it and have it go off a cliff to produce the sort of spongy pedal I eventually experienced with RBF600 (which still came right for another session or two after bleeding the hot calipers between runs that day). I'm sure Motul will see you fine for your first DE and then some anyway, and good on you for getting her pinned - mine was trailered away early a few times when fittings let go before I had her done.

YMMV and others here have cross-shopped more, but some of the above may be helpful, particularly if your braking system and ducts are still stock (I do run Sebro slotted rotors - because they last much better than the Porsche original drilled ones - but they are the stock size. IMO, your car is better prepared than those of most first time DE drivers (my first was just on road pads with fresh brake fluid) so I'm sure you'll enjoy learning a heap about yourself and your car. Enjoy!

Last edited by 996tnz; 04-05-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:41 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the fantastic responses. Certainly a lot of different options. Do you all have any site you frequent to pick these up at better price points?
Old 04-06-2017, 12:43 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Clark @ Apex was great too deal with....I might look into becoming a PFC dealer, good product
Old 04-06-2017, 01:11 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm running Pagid RS29 with Endless 650 fluid... Pads are embarassingly loud around town Endless fluid is great! On track or go do a few pulls and brake hard it goes away. Still bites better around town and cold than stock pads did. Stock TT calipers and rotors for now.

I've got the 997GT3 PCCB calipers that I will be swapping to at some point. Realistically it will be after track season is over and for next year. Might try PFCs at that point, but at this point Im happy with the Pagids
Old 04-20-2017, 10:43 AM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993GT
Clark @ Apex was great too deal with....I might look into becoming a PFC dealer, good product
Spoke with Clark this morning, great to deal with and great pricing. Now does anyone have a good place to get GT2 ducting for front and rear
Old 05-04-2017, 11:13 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
If you're going to swap pads for track days, PFC is good. You can drive them on the street but they're noisy, hard on rotors, and lack the cold bite a street pad will give you, nothing unsafe though. Typical of all race pads. Run 08 front, 11 rear. PFCs are hard on rotors, run GT2 front and rear ducts to aid with cooling. Endless 650 is great fluid. Disconnecting PSM or at the very least turn it off via the dash switch. PSM cooks the rear brakes. Have fun...
I finally got the PFC's installed with all the brake ducts. The GT2 rear ducts were easy. The fronts not so much. I also removed and "fixed" the pad sensors and shrink wrapped them.

The pads are great! The bite is SO MUCH better than the textars. But yes they do have the school bus sound when you creep up to a stop sign. I did a bed in to make sure im good to go for the track this weekend. Im impressed this far. Thanks everyone for recommending these, I think they will be a great fit.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:32 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Converting the fronts to 350mm rotors and leaving the rears alone. Found Sebro slotted rotors at AutohausAZ for $136 ea., the longer 997 TT bolts at Suncoast for $6 ea. and will make the 11mm spacers. Going with PFC pads, 7818.08 fronts and 0776.11 rears (per earlier Powderhound recommendation). Not sure where to get them, seems Suncoast has good pricing at $280 front and $297 rear. Anybody done any better?
Old 09-17-2017, 11:55 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Converting the fronts to 350mm rotors and leaving the rears alone. Found Sebro slotted rotors at AutohausAZ for $136 ea., the longer 997 TT bolts at Suncoast for $6 ea. and will make the 11mm spacers. Going with PFC pads, 7818.08 fronts and 0776.11 rears (per earlier Powderhound recommendation).
Wrong fronts Dave. You want 0991.08. That's the correct pad shape for the standard 350 6piston brakes.

Last edited by powdrhound; 09-17-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:03 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

See, this is why I love Rennlist. You saved me from making a big mistake. I thought the pads would be the standard 996 TT caliper pads!
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveCarrera4:
pop.tremuloides (06-22-2022), RennKit-Dave (05-14-2022)

Quick Reply: DE Brake Pad recommendation