Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 996TT owner - a little TLC is going to go a long way...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:39 PM
danny_k
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a quick test panel tonight for paint correction. She came out pretty good, and shows promise for a nice recovery.

Rotors, caliper hardware, fluid, and a new front lip showed up!
Old 03-29-2017, 11:06 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

a nice recovery, indeed. i once held great promise for recovery too, but, for what!(?).

but your car is looking sharp, i gotta say. this all "reads" as if you have done this all before if not on a 996tt, then something? me, i'd have stared sideways at the lamps for weeks before knowing how to revert them back. so this is fascinating to follow, and the pics are great.

i noticed the spoiler rams are up in your pic. are they "fixed" in that position? people used to do that without fixing them "up" until they learned they are too fragile to "stay up" for long. but then, hey. the car is old lol..

but dave's kit is arguably the best long term solution. my "fix", as has been shared here ad nauseum, has always just been a can of pentosin and to re-fill the rams...and so far, so good.

anyway..great stuff, and progress.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:11 AM
danny_k
Advanced

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
a nice recovery, indeed. i once held great promise for recovery too, but, for what!(?).

but your car is looking sharp, i gotta say. this all "reads" as if you have done this all before if not on a 996tt, then something? me, i'd have stared sideways at the lamps for weeks before knowing how to revert them back. so this is fascinating to follow, and the pics are great.

i noticed the spoiler rams are up in your pic. are they "fixed" in that position? people used to do that without fixing them "up" until they learned they are too fragile to "stay up" for long. but then, hey. the car is old lol..

but dave's kit is arguably the best long term solution. my "fix", as has been shared here ad nauseum, has always just been a can of pentosin and to re-fill the rams...and so far, so good.

anyway..great stuff, and progress.
too fragile? Seriously?

i want to get that rennkit but damn are they expensive.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:26 AM
r6vr6
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

Headlight job looks solid. personally I would like to open mine up and blackout the interior portions of the housing and leave the lens clean. I think that would make it look more modern. I wish I could have jumped on a set of cheap light that showed up a few weeks back to experiment on. They went too fast.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:44 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

yeah, i have a penchant for attempted double entendre lol..

try the re-bleed if the rams are still operable. yeah, the kit costs more than a can of pentosin. thats for sure! if you need the re-bleed step by step instructions... lemme know.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice job on the headlights! Looks 100% better already.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:52 PM
danny_k
Advanced

Update:

new front lip
new front rotors and caliper hardware
cleaned all 4 corners of suspension
flush and bleed all for brakes
razor bladed windshield (still need to polish)
started cleaning someones cheapo white wax residue off all the black trim

ready for some driving now!
Attached Images     
Old 04-03-2017, 12:01 AM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Nice work, man.

Great thread (although you make me feel lazy). Looking forward to whatever you have next.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:45 PM
danny_k
Advanced

Removed JL Stealthbox which is now forsale!
https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...l#post14083950

Also managed to make my rear calipers sticky. New threaded started for that nonsense.
Attached Images   
Old 04-03-2017, 08:17 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Shoot, I might be interested in that. Do you have any pics of it installed in the car?
Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 PM
danny_k
Advanced

Originally Posted by manimal
Shoot, I might be interested in that. Do you have any pics of it installed in the car?
feell free to PM me. I also have a 1000w hertz amp to power it.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:59 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 258 Posts

Looking good
Old 04-17-2017, 10:21 PM
danny_k
Advanced

Default BIG UPDATE

Big Update this evening.

1. Brakes have been sorted: New ECS flex lines, rebleed/flushed everything and rebuilt all the calipers. THis fixed the sticking caliper issue. Replaced one of the hardline fittings as it was super F'd up, that was a serious even bubble flaring the line while its dumping fluid everywhere.

2. Rear vibration - fixed. This was on my original to-do list as balance tires/wheels. I did that a couple weeks ago, no help. As i was doing the brakes i immediatly found non-hubcentric spacers on the rear (12mm). WTF!!!! Removed them immediatly, and exchanged for some HR spacers.

3.Mounted Radar detector. Picked up a blenmount, and hardwired the RD. Turned out good.

4. Front spacers. Originally on my list as ridehight i later realized what really bothered me was how far inset the front wheels were. 12mm spacers did the trick.

5. Stereo Update. Removed and sold the JL subwoofer. Removed the hertz 1000w amp, and removed the secondary battery and all large gauge wire in the frunk to go with it. Shaved about 110lb. I also relocated the secondary 4ch amp to the factory cd changer area. This frees up the bottom of the frunk for a spare tire kit, or whatever else (or nothing else). Still have the 1000w Hertz amp for sale.

UP NEXT:
I have to get this beast cleaned up. Full detail incoming. Just need to find the time. Long hours at work followed by full days in the garage is wearing me thin at the moment. Time to enjoy her! Took her for a spin tonight, and man is this a good car.
Attached Images         
Old 04-21-2017, 12:38 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice work! Man, you lost no time did you? Love that color (but I'm just a little biased).
Old 04-21-2017, 01:38 PM
danny_k
Advanced

Originally Posted by clsund1
Nice work! Man, you lost no time did you? Love that color (but I'm just a little biased).

Thanks man! Been working a lot on her lately. My better half is going to start limiting garage time i think! haha

Started paint correction, and i think the results will be good. Close up under direct light below. Its on the hood, so rock chips are not going anywhere, but clarity scratches have both been improved tremendously.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: New 996TT owner - a little TLC is going to go a long way...