Sponsored by:

Oil Change Interval for Track Use

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 296 Posts
Default Oil Change Interval for Track Use

What drain interval are most of you using for cars that see moderate track usage? By moderate, I mean how many weekends of 200ish mile track distance where you are working the car hard with occasional 300-800 mile intervals of street usage in between.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:54 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Every month or 2 and every 1k or 2k miles depending on how much track vs . street.
Trans fluid a couple times a season too.
Have you done a cooler yet?
Take a look at the parts I had to replace...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...on-cooler.html
Pwdrhound has his version too.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
What drain interval are most of you using for cars that see moderate track usage? By moderate, I mean how many weekends of 200ish mile track distance where you are working the car hard with occasional 300-800 mile intervals of street usage in between.
What I picked up hanging around a motorcycle shop (as a kid) and watching the senior mechanic prep motorcycles for racing is always show up at the track/event with fresh oil in the engine.

Later, my auto tech buddies always told me to show up at the track with fresh oil.

Thus my advice would be to show up at the track with fresh engine oil and a new filter with just enough miles on both to ensure the oil change and filter replacement were done properly and there are no issues.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info, our Track season usually involves about 4-5 weekends between January and May then off for the summer due to extra high ambient temps picking back up in September to November with another 3 or so events. I will plan to do my fluid flushes at most every two events or 1000 miles unless there are a lot more street miles in between
Old 03-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Oh, and no not yet on the trans cooler but planning to do it over the summer break. With a 9 month old around the house it is difficult during the season to get enough garage time to tear down the car and put it back together between events. Definitely going to get done, but for now I'll just flush the fluid a bit more often...

Interestingly enough though, not very many people that I track with have had any issues with 996TT transmissions overheating but maybe they are not pushing as hard either... I much prefer preventative measures over the break and rebuild option when possible.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:22 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Pick an oil change schedule you are comfortable with and stick with it. I do both engine and gear oil every 6-8 track days. Might be a bit of an over kill on the gear oil but Delvac is cheap at $40/gallon that it takes. Once the car is up on jacks doing both is super easy to why not do it.

An LSD will probably put a little more heat into the oil. With my cooler, my gearbox temp stays in the 200-220F range and on the hottest days may get into the upper 230s at the end of a 30 minute session. Without the cooler it would get to 260+.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Pick an oil change schedule you are comfortable with and stick with it. I do both engine and gear oil every 6-8 track days. Might be a bit of an over kill on the gear oil but Delvac is cheap at $40/gallon that it takes. Once the car is up on jacks doing both is super easy to why not do it.

An LSD will probably put a little more heat into the oil. With my cooler, my gearbox temp stays in the 200-220F range and on the hottest days may get into the upper 230s at the end of a 30 minute session. Without the cooler it would get to 260+.
Better would be a change interval the engine is comfortable with and this then has the owner comfortable too.

Since the engine can't talk then and given how expensive these engines are to rebuild/replace should one pick the wrong change interval I would think fresh oil every track event would be the only change schedule an owner would be comfortable with.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:51 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

You could always drain the oil and take a sample after one track day and send it to blackstone for analysis... then run 2 track days on the next and send.. etc etc.. repeat until you get a sample result and they tell you that oil needs to be changed.

This would be overkill, but you'd get an idea.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Interval for Track Use