Sponsored by:

Minor squeaks and rattles

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 12:33 PM
jlee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor squeaks and rattles

I have a 2002 996 tt with about 6000 miles on it and there are quite a bit of minor squeaks and rattles. Is this something we have to live with, or is this something that I should take into service to try to have them locate the source of the annoyance? I was just wandering whether this was "normal" for this car.

Old 11-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

All stiff cars (and for that matter all cars in general) will eventually get squeaks and rattles. The stiffness of the car and the quality of the build will help determine how fast the squeaks & rattles begin.

The 996 cars all have a squeak from day 1 when you go over a bump or enter a driveway. That squeak is the rubber seal around the windshield getting squeezed as the body gets torqued over bumps. Other than that, rattles I have experienced include the E-brake cable getting loose as rear pads wear, my driver's door speaker coming loose, and a couple things getting loose in my backseat.

My dealer has been EXCELLENT about fixing the interior rattles, but they don't seem to do much about the exterior problems.

Old 11-10-2003, 02:24 PM
jlee
Instructor

Trojan Man,

I appreciate your response. I guess I will just have to get used to it or drive with the windows down and/or stereo on loud.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:08 PM
boqueron
Pro

Same experience. Same squeaks and rattles.

That does (and did) not happen with my BMW's!! ( but I enjoy(ed) my Porsches much, much more ...)
Old 11-11-2003, 02:16 PM
jlee
Instructor

Yes, I have a 2002 745i and it is absolutely rattle and squeak free even when going over a big pot hole! You just hear a soft "thump" and that is it. But then, I have to admit that it is not as exciting as the Turbo!
Old 11-11-2003, 05:08 PM
kwsmith6
Intermediate

Default Squeaks and Rattles

I just traded a 2002 Turbo for a 2004 Turbo CAB. There is a big difference. The CAB has no squeaks or rattles. I talked to the dealer and he had my 02 Coupe presold until the buyer drove it. The buyer backed out of the deal because of the squeaks and rattles. I think some Porsche cars have worse problems than others. I heard there was a TSB to fix some internal dashboard squeaks using Teflon tape. I also know if you search the archives, some people have posted a fix to the sunroof rattle. I also know there was an early TSB to fix the leather-on-leather squeaks, but I think your car has that update already. I agree that you should not expect squeaks and rattles. I had a BMW M5 that had zero, and my new Turbo CAB is way more solid. I guess you could go get the Turbo CAB.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:05 PM
willr
Advanced

Teflon tape between the screen and rubber surround fixed the squeaks on my car. Seemed a familiar problem to the dealer
Old 11-15-2003, 09:45 PM
JMT
Track Day

My 03 TT is tight as a drumb, not a squeak or rattle in 5,000 miles of nonautobahn Wisconsin roads. I have also had it to 150 mph and several jaunts to 130 mph. I listen for them and because I have stock exhaust and only listen to AM talk radio, I'd hear them. I would take it to the dealer and get them fixed. I can't stand driving a rattle trap, regardless of type, even in my truck.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:00 PM
jlee
Instructor

So the solution is to not accept it and keep on taking it to the dealers to fix? I do have a lot of time...
Old 11-16-2003, 06:22 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

Does anyone have the TSBs on the rear window rattle or sunroof rattle??? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 11-16-2003, 06:27 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

Sorry...Is there anything I can do about the rear window rattle...something I can do myself...add some tape or something????

THX.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:16 PM
JMT
Track Day

Yes, take it back to the dealer and tell him to fix every squeak and rattle. If nessary, keep doing it untill the dealer or Porsche or both of them have fixed it to your satisfaction. They can be corrected and there is absolutely no reason that you should expect less. Even my 01' 4x4 Dodge Durango with 30'000 miles is totally squeak and rattle free and it has never had to go back to the dealer for anything.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:54 PM
interpath
8th Gear

To Chris Y & jlee:
I have a minor but nevertheless anoying right rear window/(B) pillar type (buzzing) sound (or maybe its sound transmission from the engine compartment (vibrating heat shieldor metal part?) that comes on around 3700 rpm then disappears or isn't audible around 4200 rpm. I've gone to the dealership twice without success (almost eradicated during second visit but reappeared after 24-36 hours). My 2003 996 TT X50 will go in again next week in atempt to isolate sound and fix! I will provide followup as available next week...
interpath
Old 11-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Chris Y.
Racer

interpath...

That is the exact sound!!! I thought it was only my car because it's an '01.
Any solutions...???
Old 11-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have a similar rattle from the right rear panel. When I push on the panel the rattling stops only to start again when released. I can feel the panel vibrating around the speaker (stereo off) when I touch it. I am going to try to stuff some felt or foam tape in there to tighten it up a bit... I hate to bring the car in for a rattle.

Quick Reply: Minor squeaks and rattles