Sponsored by:

Where are all the 996tt on the roads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 12:01 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
ID, besides having the radical right, is a place where men are men and sheep are scared.
Get your states correct. People have been saying that quote about "where men are men, and the sheep are scared," as defining Wyoming, since I was about 18, which was deep into the last century. I have never once heard it attributed to Idaho, where sheep are not all that common.

As to the radical right, please be more specific. Idaho is a conservative state, although Boise itself, the only big city, is liberal. If you are referring to a few kooks in N. Idaho, which is quite sparsely populated, I assure you there are more people sharing those beliefs in your own state, whatever it is.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:04 AM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by Dock
But not at all dense in the 113,000 square miles that makes up the area being discussed.

I don't recall anyone here opining that there aren't cars in Santa Fe. The area being discussed is northern NM and southern CO.
they discovered the car there?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:11 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by champignon
they discovered the car there?
...?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:17 AM
champignon
Pro

...?
Santa Fe is actually pretty nice, but I haven't been there in about 3 decades. The whole rest of the area is the home of the pickup truck and the SUV. Passenger cars aren't really of very much interest.

I could say the same about most of the interior West.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:32 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm glad I revived this thread as you guys are way more entertaining than mentioning a car we all have.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:51 AM
mpsig226
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Carlo, thanks for your input and support. Someone said I said "demographics", prove it! you brought it up. Are you the kind that likes to shoot and hide your hand hoping nobody noticed. Unless you are talking about the airport being packed by mostly "JETS" on "week-ends (Fri/Sat/Sun). So ... someone said people with 2nd and 3rd homes, correct! (the wealthy and super wealthy). Someone said nobody on a Tuesday drive, correct!, its a ghost town! The local population lives just outside SF (as in Santa Fe) cuz they all sold their properties for lots of cash. I challenge those who don't think a 900 1800's adobe sqft house close to downtown can go for up-to a Mil. The locals now work cleaning and maintaining the houses of the wealthy weekenders. For CASH, which is not traceable. Maids are driving new Hondas, Kias, Toyotas ... A few wealthy do live there all year round and have gobbled up the old must have properties before Santa Fe became a "jet set" weekend stop, and I again emphasize "weekend". One of our neighbors has a 29 Phaeton. What the heck is a 29 Phaeton? Dock, do Google this one as well and explain what it is, for those who don't know. Not only do they have a Phaeton for Sunday Mass " to go in style", they have a TR12 as in Testarossa and a new La Ferrari that I saw in June. I asked the neighbor who did his Ferrari service? He said, Ferrari of Scottsdale in AZ. They pick it up, check the oil and tire pressures and return it all in a climate controlled transport. A population of 34K with a median income of $32K? Look up Tesuque and other townships using the same post office. Wealthy houses less then 3 miles away. A whole lot more than 34K houses my friend. Rental car companies are at the small airport ready to rent. Why, cuz those poor folks don't want to have a taxi take them home (2nd/3rd/4th ...) and call to take them back to the airport for their private 1.5 hour flight back home. Some, have hangars to keep their prized toys out of the sun. So guess what?, they have their super cars inside the hangar waiting for them when they land. The others probably pay $500 a day just for their rental Suburbans. And I have also seen houses rent 2 or 3 Suburbans on the same weekend. Oh did I earlier say "our neighbor"? Must be because we have a house there as well, with a separate guest house, in SF and must know what I am talking about as does my neighbor Carlo. But why is it that SF quadruples or more on weekends? Cuz it is so beautiful, peaceful, best scenic drives and all the services and shops. 2 Whole Foods for 34K "few people" poor people. Gucci, YSL, jewelry, fine art gallery's galore, museums, $75 plate restaurants, wines, and so much more. Sotheby's Real Estate is there, snatching in on the deep pocketeers cash, why else? There is a guy who does nothing but custom hats starting at $1,500 +++. He has 2 helpers and a girl who moved from NYC to SF to design hats. Check her out, she is so beautiful. And there is a waiting list for the hats to be made and delivered !!! I have heard folks refer to SF as the other Beverly Hills or Hollywood. By the way, visit SF during Thanksgiving, X-Mas, or New Year. But a piece of advice first, book months in advance. 34K small populous SF grows by 10-15 fold and you will pay out the nose for a room that you will only use for 8 hours a day. Don't criticize for criticizing sake or try to negate what others know as fact. Dock, say your math is correct, your knowledge of probability is seriously off. Lets assume only 10% of your 4,900 out of town owners are wealthy, 490 to be exact. Say just 25 "different" of the out of town owners jets arrive every weekend (that's 5% of the 490 wealthy) for a stay in their SF house. You can bet those folks won't have a 2018 Cobra or Saleen Mustang in the garage. Say they have only one exotic or collectible and most have multiples. Say those folks take a drive thru downtown SF (and they do cuz it is a custom to visit it every time you are in town). Also say those folks take a cruise up to Taos to visit Jane Fonda or Ted Turner, or Ali McGraw, or many other celebrities for lunch, that makes it a high probability you will indeed see some exotics for sure, unless your are cooped up inside Googleing as you may very well like to do by the sound of it. Again, I am talking probability and I hope you can follow me. Now multiply those conservatively 25 "different" exotics on all weekends of the year. How many exotics are those? 1500 chances a year? Totally different scenario/picture isn't it? Those who have been in SF during a weekend, Thanksgiving, X-Mas or New Year celebrations, please chime in. But only if you hold water please! If you can't compete with the weekend costs in SF, stay in Albuquerque and drive up to SF with your brown bag lunch bag to enjoy on a budget, because it is indeed a piece of heaven. Enjoy it at least once !!! PCA hlds DR's and Autocross events in Santa Fe. Did you know that Dock? For only having a population of 34K and a median of $32K, PCA is a very considerate organization taking such events to such a tiny town year in and year out. Santa Fe is a great place to visit driving any Porsche. And believe me, demographically and statistically speaking, because of the circumstances of those inbred folks, "probably" more easily recognize Porsches, Ferrari's Lambos, etc. than 95% of the high density cities in the US. Back to the subject, we who have 996 TT's know we own a masterpiece and because of that, I have looked and unable to see these. Nothing to do with demographics and more to expect of wealth and probability. Again, driving in heaven country in a Porsche is a must experience and enjoyable event. Santa Fe, New Mexico
Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 AM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

So then it appears the cars aren't getting driven because the owners are too busy arguing about where the garages that are keeping them dry are distributed.

I think that's a fair synopsis. Is it time for kitten pictures?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:14 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by mpsig226
Santa Fe, New Mexico
I've read all of that rambling, erratic post and now my head hurts
Old 09-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

But not at all dense in the 113,000 square miles that makes up the area being discussed.

I don't recall anyone here opining that there aren't cars in Santa Fe. The area being discussed is northern NM and southern CO.
You might be discussing that. I am discussing why you brought up the meaningless stat of median income of Santa Fe's residents.

You clearly no longer know the lay of the land out there and thus do not understand how or where an exotic car might be seen in the general area.

Again, it all depends on the season and who happens to be in town.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a strange things this. I enjoy when I see one, or Porsches in general, but also don't like it at the same time. I like being alone with this masterpiece of a car.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan A
So then it appears the cars aren't getting driven because the owners are too busy arguing about where the garages that are keeping them dry are distributed.

I think that's a fair synopsis. Is it time for kitten pictures?
Yes.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
You might be discussing that.
There is no "might" about it.

...where an exotic car might be seen in the general area.
The general area is not what the person I posted my original reply to was talking about. He described the area as northern NM and southern CO, and that's what I replied to.

Demographics were brought up by the paragraph challenged individual when he pointed out that the rich folks make temporary migrations into Santa Fe on weekends. It's the rich temporary Santa Fe dwellers who own the lion's share of the high-end sports cars that may be seen driving around town (or up to Taos), not the day-to-day residents. Resident demographics are important because what they drive, and more importantly where they drive to, (using for example Hwy 491) reduce the chances of someone seeing a high end sports car out in the 113,000 square miles of northern NM and southern CO.

Last edited by Dock; 09-13-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by champignon
The whole rest of the area is the home of the pickup truck and the SUV. Passenger cars aren't really of very much interest.

I could say the same about most of the interior West.
Yearly sales rankings show that in 2016 pickup trucks claimed the three top spots (for a third consecutive year). Passenger car sales fell 9% in 2016 as compared to the 2015 sales numbers.

Link---> http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/01...rer-brand.html
Old 09-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There is no "might" about it.

The general area is not what the person I posted my original reply to was talking about. He described the area as northern NM and southern CO, and that's what I replied to.

Demographics were brought up by the paragraph challenged individual when he pointed out that the rich folks make temporary migrations into Santa Fe on weekends. It's the rich temporary Santa Fe dwellers who own the lion's share of the high-end sports cars that may be seen driving around town (or up to Taos), not the day-to-day residents. Resident demographics are important because what they drive, and more importantly where they drive to, (using for example Hwy 491) reduce the chances of someone seeing a high end sports car out in the 113,000 square miles of northern NM and southern CO.
You thought you could Google some demographics and debate the subject with a full time and a part time resident of the area.

You were wrong and still are wrong.

The chances of seeing an exotic car in northern NM/southern CO depends on the season and who happens to be in town. Resident demographics are meaningless.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You thought you could Google some demographics and debate the subject with a full time and a part time resident of the area.
That's funny.

Quick Reply: Where are all the 996tt on the roads?