Sponsored by:

Wiring harness for fixed wing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
That's great but irrelivent for a fixed wing..
No kidding, but if you read his post he said he had a wing blade, the blade is the moveable part! He also stated he doesn't like it in the raised position! He did not mention a fixed wing!
So maybe its not so irrelevant!!!!!
Old 07-12-2017, 10:58 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Except for the subject of the post.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

So my post still stands pointing out the warning by Porsche!
Old 07-13-2017, 08:18 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

And while the OP is calling it a "fixed wing" -- replacing the moving blade with an aftermarket blade isn't generally referred to as a "fixed wing."
Old 07-13-2017, 08:36 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
So my post still stands pointing out the warning by Porsche!
One thing is for sure about an aftermarket wing is that it is not going to have the same aerodynamics and other effects on the car as the stock wing, regardless of position. So, the effect of raising and lowering it on car stability is anyone's guess.

There are many reasons for having a functioning spoiler, such as it is very "cool." For on-road driving in most places, it is beyond unclear that the spoiler does anything. As I stated in an earlier thread, when I mentioned this topic to the head tech at my local Porsche dealer, he thought it was ridiculous, and he didn't care at all that it was in the manual.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:44 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Groan, not again. If we're making appeals to authority, I consider the owner's manual a higher authority than your local tech.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:50 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche didn't add the functionality of a raised inverted airfoil (wing) because it was cool. When the wing is lowered, it assists with cooling at lower speeds (somehow, not sure how), and when raised, reduces lift (lets just call it rear downforce) as speed increases. They chose 75 MPH for extension for a reason - here's a wild guess, something to do with wind tunnel testing. "if we want to emphasize the Turbo's personality, we can do it with more restrained visual features like the charge air intake on the side of the body and the new elevating spoiler on the tail, which are all technically essential anyway" Pinky Lai
Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Porsche didn't add the functionality of a raised inverted airfoil (wing) because it was cool. When the wing is lowered, it assists with cooling at lower speeds (somehow, not sure how), and when raised, reduces lift (lets just call it rear downforce) as speed increases. They chose 75 MPH for extension for a reason - here's a wild guess, something to do with wind tunnel testing. "if we want to emphasize the Turbo's personality, we can do it with more restrained visual features like the charge air intake on the side of the body and the new elevating spoiler on the tail, which are all technically essential anyway" Pinky Lai
Dave,

My point is that on public roads one will seldom get the chance to go a whole lot over 75 for any period of time. Maybe one gets to 100 for 2 seconds at one point on a pass, and maybe one gets to 85 for a minute or two from time to time. Even in my state, where out of town freeway speeds are 80 mph, I can count on my left hand the number of times I've been able to do a sustained speed of 80+, even in the left hand lane. There is just too much traffic, and there is always a cretin 1 mile further on who sits in the left hand lane going 67 with a truck alongside him in the right lane making a pass impossible. Maybe if I did all my driving at 2 am this would not be a factor, but I'm pretty sure that Idaho has one of the lower densities of vehicles on the highway, and if you can't go really fast here, you probably can't go really fast anywhere.

I don't doubt that the raised spoiler does something on a race track, but in normal driving on public roads, there can't possibly be very much difference in the aerodynamics of the car when it is going 74 or when it is going 82.

And again, I think the up and down spoiler function is COOOL. It's a defining characteristic of the car. That's enough reason to have one that works, if one cares about that.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:11 PM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by manimal
Groan, not again. If we're making appeals to authority, I consider the owner's manual a higher authority than your local tech.
I'm not making appeals to authority, only to common sense.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:12 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

As an avid arguer, I figured you were familiar:

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

I agree that downforce at high speeds is "cool", though.

You already made your own thread for this nonsense, can we please not clutter up this one w/ it too? We've heard your "argument".
Old 07-14-2017, 01:05 AM
champignon
Pro

Originally Posted by manimal
As an avid arguer, I figured you were familiar:

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

I agree that downforce at high speeds is "cool", though.

You already made your own thread for this nonsense, can we please not clutter up this one w/ it too? We've heard your "argument".
Straw Man Argument. Look that one up.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by champignon
Dave,

My point is that on public roads one will seldom get the chance to go a whole lot over 75 for any period of time. Maybe one gets to 100 for 2 seconds at one point on a pass, and maybe one gets to 85 for a minute or two from time to time. Even in my state, where out of town freeway speeds are 80 mph, I can count on my left hand the number of times I've been able to do a sustained speed of 80+, even in the left hand lane. There is just too much traffic, and there is always a cretin 1 mile further on who sits in the left hand lane going 67 with a truck alongside him in the right lane making a pass impossible. Maybe if I did all my driving at 2 am this would not be a factor, but I'm pretty sure that Idaho has one of the lower densities of vehicles on the highway, and if you can't go really fast here, you probably can't go really fast anywhere.

I don't doubt that the raised spoiler does something on a race track, but in normal driving on public roads, there can't possibly be very much difference in the aerodynamics of the car when it is going 74 or when it is going 82.

And again, I think the up and down spoiler function is COOOL. It's a defining characteristic of the car. That's enough reason to have one that works, if one cares about that.
The hwys here are 70 mph with traffic running 80, to say one will seldom see 75 mph is a misnomer!
Old 07-15-2017, 12:48 PM
champignon
Pro

The hwys here are 70 mph with traffic running 80, to say one will seldom see 75 mph is a misnomer!
Are you proposing that the aerodynamics of a 996 Porsche TT change dramatically and significantly from 75 mph to 80 mph?

That really strains any sort of logical reasoning and common sense. We are not talking about the stall speed of a jet at 40,000 feet with frozen over pitot tubes.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

No, Im stating Porsche warns that any speeds over 75 mph without the spoiler not being deployed can lead to a dangerous situation. Take it up with them, they made the statement! Im sure Porsche saw this as necessary, or why state it!
If you want to get technical just a small amount of flaps on a single engine Cessna 152, 172, or Piper warrior has an effect, what speed you think they land at?
Old 07-15-2017, 10:00 PM
champignon
Pro

No, Im stating Porsche warns that any speeds over 75 mph without the spoiler not being deployed can lead to a dangerous situation. Take it up with them, they made the statement! Im sure Porsche saw this as necessary, or why state it!
If you want to get technical just a small amount of flaps on a single engine Cessna 152, 172, or Piper warrior has an effect, what speed you think they land at?
I don't know, but they have wings and aren't normally earthbound with foot wide tires :-)

As an aside, I guy I used to know decades ago owned one of these planes (not sure which one) which he described as a "flying sofa," so maybe there is some commonality here, after all :-)

Quick Reply: Wiring harness for fixed wing