Sponsored by:

C4 on a dyno -- Total Disaster!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003 | 06:07 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default C4 on a dyno -- Total Disaster!

I posted the following on the 993 board and several found it useful, so I am putting it here as well:

This is a follow-up to my post regarding the NY State Inspection where they put my 1995 c4 cabrio on the dynometer. It still seemed to run fine after the test, but members of this board told me that the viscous fluid may have burned up.

I took it to the shop and they were able to test drive it to ascertain whether the four-wheel-drive was working -- it wasn't.

The replacement of the coupling was started, and then the mechanic called me to say that the transaxle was sheared! Cut in half! Amazing. He is now replacing this (I inspected the damage myself -- ) as part of the fix. He will also check the entire drivetrain/tranny back to the engine for additional problems.

Obviously, these are costly repairs. The original guy who did the inspection is trying to say that NY State says the owner is responsible for any damage on a dyno -- I will have to sue him to get him to pay.

All of this sucks so bad because I had just gotten the car -- it is my first Porsche -- and now it is in the shop for two weeks -- just missed an Indian Summer weekend in New York!!!
Old 11-06-2003 | 08:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry to hear about your car. Hopefully everthing can be fixed.

Here in MA, they also went to dyno testing; however I went to the MA RMV website and printed out the section that exempts AWD vehicles from dyno testing (they simply do a 2 step RPM measurement for emissions).

I always bring it with me and never go on the dyno.

Perhaps there is a similar exemption in NY DMV?
Old 11-06-2003 | 10:18 PM
Periokid
Pro

AWD cars are exempt from the dyno. The mechanic who did it was at fault. AWD cannot go on the dyno and he should have known that. He is 100% at fault.
Old 11-06-2003 | 11:39 PM
DaveH
Advanced

Sorry to be clueless, but why the mandatory dyno for some cars?
Old 11-07-2003 | 11:02 AM
Periokid
Pro

Dave,

For NY emissions tests, car are run on a dyno to check emissions while the car is "driving".

NY only has two wheel dynos for this so AWD cars are exempt from "moving" tests.

Quick Reply: C4 on a dyno -- Total Disaster!