Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on decision with Ceramic Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 06:07 PM
JG
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help on decision with Ceramic Brakes!

Have a 911 turbo cab on order with delivery in February.

Can't decide on whether to get PCCB. Have done some research on this site and read the magazine reviews. The magazine guys swear by it, my dealer says not to get it. Much of the discussion on it on this site is in regards to track performance.

I don't plan to take it on the track and so the car will be only for street use. My questions are:

- For street driving, is there perceivable difference in feel with PCCB? Does the car stop faster? Will the brakes really last that much longer? Do they work better than iron when cold or wet? Is the unsprung weight difference noticeable? Are they reliable?

- Have heard that the break-in procedure and time on PCCB is different, how so?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:13 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm polarized over this issue, I own one car with ceramics and have had no problems. However, some of the commets on this forum give me pause, but of greater concern is how Porsche is changing their literature about the performance and durability of the ceramics. No one has yet explained this shift to me, so I am uncertain. If they are so great, why change the literature?.

Would I do ceramics again, the answer was yes, until I saw the change in literature. I'm supposed to pick up a GT3 with ceramics (ordered) and I just may pass because of all the confusion.

It's unlikely that you will have problems on the street, but that begs the question of whether you really need them, or not, for such use. Going full circle back to track use where they should shine, Porsche is backing off their claims (it seems to me) and they won't warranty track use. Competive racing I can understand they wouldn't (shouldn't) warranty, but DEs etc. should be covered. This is how they design the car.

Worst case, it's an option you buy which will add no value on trade-in unless Porsche comes out and aggressively defends (and warranties) their usage in performance (non-racing) situations.

Unless you're going on the track, just follow the manual for break-in.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:10 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Why would you possibly want them? There is no way to use all the tt braking while driving on public roads, and Porsche won't stand behind them on the track. On the street, you'll never feel the weight saving, and no one has yet to complain about the standard brakes except for expert drivers at the track. Save the money, since it will give you no satisfaction and no return. Porsche has some explaining to do. AS
Old 11-07-2003, 09:40 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

I agree with AS.
Save the cash and put it into something of known value.

Quick Reply: Need help on decision with Ceramic Brakes!