What the hell happened to my seat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:39 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jungt
http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/aut...sche&model=911

Actually this is the better kit than the above I mentioned. I'm over 60 eh!

This is the kit I actually used.

Same thing, urethane coating and color match.

John
Cool thanks I'll check that out
Old 01-04-2017, 08:44 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,445 Posts

This is the best re-storer.

https://colorplus.com/products/soffener/
Old 01-04-2017, 11:13 PM
highlander
Instructor

Originally Posted by z06801
No cat and garage at my house
My car lives in my garage and I personally don't have a cat but my old neighbors did. I have found kitty cat paw prints on my hood more than once!
I had to buff out some light scratches above the windshield where it tried to jump onto the roof one time. Those neighbors are gone now, thank goodness.
I used to leave the windows in whatever state they were in when I parked, but when I saw the cat dart out of the garage as I opened the door one time, I started to make sure they were kept closed.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:55 PM
jungt
Instructor

Leather restorer will not work on modern hides since they all have a water based urethane coating on them. Sure it makes them look shiny but does not get absorbed. This is well documented. Don't waste your money.

John
Old 01-05-2017, 12:06 AM
jungt
Instructor

Below is from a Ferrari forum on this subject

"The seats will not absorb any leather conditioner. That is why the feel and texture did not change after you applied the product.

The seat leather is coated in clear urethane which will prevent conditioner from absorbing into the leather. Proof of this can be done with a drop of water.

Place a few drops of water on your seats. Notice how they either run off or sit in drop form. They cannot pass by the urethane coating and absorb into the leather. This is why you should clean them with with a non-leather cleaning product. You are not cleaning leather...you are cleaning the top urethane coating. Use a very low ph soap product such as diluted Woolite, and a very soft brush, to clean your seats. Wash the Woolite off with a very wet white towel. Then, follow up with a dry white towel.

Look at the white towels and you will see all the dirt that comes off.

Products such as Leatherique Pristine Clean are made to clean leather...not urethane!

I am still not sure if the dash leather is urethane coated or not."
Old 01-05-2017, 12:20 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Out of nowhere I found this. Almost like it's been cooked.
Is the defect on top of the finished leather surface, or has the finished leather surface been removed causing the defect?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:27 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Out of nowhere I found this.
Your leather is fairly shiny (my leather is not that shiny). Have you applied any product(s) on the leather?

Do you drive with your wallet in your back pocket, and if so, is the defect on the same side as your wallet?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:35 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Your leather is fairly shinny (my leather is not that shinny). Have you applied any product(s) on the leather?

Do you drive with your wallet in your back pocket, and if so, is the defect on the same side as your wallet?
I think it's just the flash that makes it shine and the defect is really ruff and hard feeling also it's the passenger seat so really barely used at all. The seat color is "natural leather Grey " almost blackName:  photo831.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  952.0 KB
Old 01-05-2017, 09:49 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Somebody have some spicy burritos perhaps? Maybe lifting a leg to let the gases out next time will help?

sorry but had to

Ever sit groceries in the seat on way home? Maybe frozen foods that condensated and caused moisture to sit and burn up quickly?
Old 01-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Leather restorer will not work on modern hides since they all have a water based urethane coating on them. Sure it makes them look shiny but does not get absorbed. This is well documented. Don't waste your money.

John
If the urethane coating has been removed/damaged and the leather underneath dried out and/or damaged that leather has to be revived/restored before it can refinished.

The OP has to carefully assess how damaged the hide is before deciding which approach to repair it.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:18 AM
jungt
Instructor

I would suggest that the OP contact Magic Mender and ask them for the proper solution to his problem before trying to solve it himself with a leather restore first. They were very responsive to me with a similar problem that I had. They may have some other products to augment the repair of his situation. I am not trying to sell them in any way BTW.

John

http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/
Old 01-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would suggest that the OP contact Magic Mender and ask them for the proper solution to his problem before trying to solve it himself with a leather restore first. They were very responsive to me with a similar problem that I had. They may have some other products to augment the repair of his situation. I am not trying to sell them in any way BTW.

John

http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/
Excellent advice.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:36 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Maybe your seat heater got overly hot in one location. If it's no longer working, you could be seeing the results of a single hot spot in the heating pad. I had a seat heater go bad in an X3 and it got dangerously hot. I disconnected the power.

As far as a fix, you could very well try some black dye from Leatherique or another supplier but you may need to touch up more than the bottom for it to blend.

I've used leatherique with good success. It does get absorbed if the correct process is followed, and lasts a long time as well.

Last edited by autobonrun; 01-05-2017 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 01-05-2017, 02:57 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Out of nowhere I found this. Almost like it's been cooked. Some sort of heated seat malfunction? Pretty bummed although I have high miles my interior is other wise very good. Happened in the late fall when it was still pretty warm here. Could a unopened bottle of water focused light and burned it? CrazyAttachment 1122707
I'm guessing you had a bag of fast food on there and later cooked it with the seat heater. Liquid would have run down the seams. There appears to be white spots on the edges. Have you given it the sniff test?
Old 01-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Porsche sells pre-sewn leather replacement covers that an upholstery shop can use to reupholster the seat bottom.

Quick Reply: What the hell happened to my seat?