Sponsored by:

Thunderhill track advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 04:52 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thunderhill track advice

I'm going to track m '02 tt for the first time in two weeks at Thunderhill. The event is sponsored by Audi NA and will include a technical check and a lot of instruction. Any advice about prepping the car would be greatly appreciated.

I've been told by some that I should replace my brake fluid. My oil is at 2500 miles, with 2 quarts added, and I'm wondering if I should replace it at before or after the event.

Thanks,

Pale
Old 12-31-2016, 12:04 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

how old is the brake fluid? oil would be fine IMO
Old 12-31-2016, 12:25 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

It sounds like your first track day. With that in mind you will probably not tax your brakes to the limit and should be OK with existing fluid. However if you or the instructor were to push hard you will likely have issues. If you plan on tracking more in the future, be a good boy and do it right from the beginning. Only track on a fresh oil change due to oil dillution (<1K miles), change your brake fluid before a track day if it is more than 1 year old
Old 12-31-2016, 02:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by PaleAle
I'm going to track m '02 tt for the first time in two weeks at Thunderhill. The event is sponsored by Audi NA and will include a technical check and a lot of instruction. Any advice about prepping the car would be greatly appreciated.

I've been told by some that I should replace my brake fluid. My oil is at 2500 miles, with 2 quarts added, and I'm wondering if I should replace it at before or after the event.

Thanks,

Pale
Show up with fresh oil/filter in the engine.

Flush/bleed the brakes. Be sure the brakes have plenty of rotor and pad life left.

Be sure the radiator air ducts are free of trash build up.

Be sure the tires have plenty of tread and don't have anything in them.

I assume the car is otherwise in good shape? No coolant leaks? Plugs not too old? Engine air filter and fuel filter fresh?

Go through the cabin and make sure nothing is under either seat and there is nothing in the door pockets are center console that can rattle or knock about.

Try to put as much racing gas in the tank as you can. Strive for as little dilution with street gas as you can. You want to maximize the benefit racing gasoline offers over and above its higher octane rating.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:24 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

audi club golden gate region sends out detailed on info in a long letter with exhibits on how to prep your car and yourself for the day

you may also google 'how to prepare for hpde track day'... there is ample good info on line from many sources
Old 12-31-2016, 03:53 PM
highlander
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double, triple, quadruple check under the seats when you first arrive at the track. I had a student where a Snapple bottle flew out from under the drivers seat under hard braking and lodged under the brake pedal. Fortunately, she was pushing so hard the bottle broke but it was a wake up call for me!
Old 12-31-2016, 06:19 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by highlander
Double, triple, quadruple check under the seats when you first arrive at the track. I had a student where a Snapple bottle flew out from under the drivers seat under hard braking and lodged under the brake pedal. Fortunately, she was pushing so hard the bottle broke but it was a wake up call for me!
This is very good advise haha don't ask how I know. The better prep the better, as its disappointing to make all the effort only to have soft brakes in a few laps,
Old 12-31-2016, 07:36 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Thanks everybody. It will be my first track day so I'll err on the side of caution.

Coolant is fine after I blew the rear fitting in June. Now everything is pinned and all seals, gaskets, water pump etc. have been replaced. I'm going to have my Indy change the brake fluid, oil (he gives me a great deal) and complete the technical check list required for the event.

I will definitely check for Snapple bottles!
Old 12-31-2016, 07:53 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Change your oil/filter before and bleed the brakes too. I'm sure they'll have a checklist, just make sure you don't need an inspection/sign-off before the event for anything.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:24 AM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Btw
what brake fluid is recommend for street use?
thx
Old 01-01-2017, 01:13 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Motul 600 is what i have used since super blue was pulled off the market.

Before I would alternate super blue/gold for
Flushes
Old 01-01-2017, 02:54 AM
highlander
Instructor

Motul 600 for me too. Awesome stuff! I never had luck with the ATE blue/gold thing, too much blue residue when flushing the gold back through...
Old 01-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by fung0001
Btw
thx
The stuff the Porsche dealer parts department shoves over teh counter at the tech or me has proved to be quite good brake fluid over the years, for street driving.

My 2002 Boxster brake and clutch hydraulic systems are just fine even with over 307K miles on them. My 2003 Turbo with nearly 151K miles has had nothing by the Porsche brake fluid and the brakes are just fine and I expect to remain fine for a long long time.

Just be sure you follow that 2 year brake fluid flush/bleed schedule -- unless you are going to the track then I'd do a brake flush/bleed some few days prior to the track day -- to keep the water build up in the brake fluid to an acceptable level.

I have found that while brake action was unaffected clutch action and as a result shifting action was affected by brake/clutch fluid (my Boxster shares this fluid between the brakes and clutch hydraulic systems) that I had inadverently let go around 2.5 years since the last flush/bleed. After having this done the clutch and shifting action transformation was quite remarkable.

It really drove home that while apparently the brake performance is unaffected by too old brake fluid it really does deteriorate from moisture exposure and that 2 year brake flush/bleed guideline is spot on the money.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by fung0001
Btw
thx
I would not use Motul600 for a street car as it picks up moisture at a greater rate than OEM or ATE200 - it's not meant for a 2 year change interval. Unless you're bleeding it often, sticking with ATE type200 makes a lot more sense.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:55 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Is Motul 600 recommended for track use as well?

Quick Reply: Thunderhill track advice