Sponsored by:

996 failed turbo-looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 01:03 AM
Paulpellegrin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 failed turbo-looking for advice

I am 1-1/2 years into my first Porsche, which is a 996TT. I was fortunate to get the remainder of previous owners Maxcare warranty. I have a Turbo leaking oil. The good news is the warranty company has agreed to pick up the repair. However, first they are recommending a Borg Warner replacement over the OEM. They say it's $1,200 cheaper. Yet equal in quality. Can anyone give me some feedback and expertise on this idea, good/bad/acceptable.

The Shop did tell me that any off balance in performance would through codes, so he wasn't too worried, but did admit that he didn't know much about Borg Warner.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2016, 01:56 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I'd suggest that you can't have two different turbos. If you're happy with the turbo they're recommending (I know nothing about it) they should replace both.

Or go single OEM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:58 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I think Borg-Warner is the OEM manufacturer.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:03 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 251 Posts

Read your warranty papers. If it covers oem then demand oem. Think about down the road when you sell the car. Would you, as a buyer, be put off if the car had one oem turbo and one non-oem turbo? I know it would give me pause and probably raise doubts about the car.
Demand oem for this reason as well as BioBanker's reason.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:19 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

also under the impression that borgwarner is an oem supplier. hard to talk about turbos without them being included in a conversation of them. i think all one needs to do is cross reference the part numbers and "L/R" fitment to confirm they are indeed a direct oem replacement. I'm fairly certain they are. just ensure you note the difference in part #'s for the k16 VS the x50's k24.

http://www.dieselevante.it/turbochar...ca=118&idcat=2

or.. it may be that they are in fact a direct oem replacement but are simply not saddled with the accompanying "porsche tax" that accompanies many parts that are available as a OEM PORSCHE brand VS the same exact part from an "OEM SUPPLIER" that are simply labeled by the mfg'rs "brand". again, just cross reference the part numbers like your mechanic has. no future buyer is going to determine there is an identifiable difference btw the old one VS a replacement of exact/similar spec. particularly if comparing an oem with a borgwarner especially given borgwarner have helped write the book on turbo's.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulpellegrin
I am 1-1/2 years into my first Porsche, which is a 996TT. I was fortunate to get the remainder of previous owners Maxcare warranty. I have a Turbo leaking oil. The good news is the warranty company has agreed to pick up the repair. However, first they are recommending a Borg Warner replacement over the OEM. They say it's $1,200 cheaper. Yet equal in quality. Can anyone give me some feedback and expertise on this idea, good/bad/acceptable.

The Shop did tell me that any off balance in performance would through codes, so he wasn't too worried, but did admit that he didn't know much about Borg Warner.

Thanks
Recommending? Tell the warranty company to install the factory turbo. Or insist the warranty company get it in writing from Porsche the turbo the warranty company wishes to use is a drop in replacement for the factory turbo.

This doesn't give my any warm fuzzies about using the non-OE turbo: "any off balance in performance would through codes, so he wasn't too worried, but did admit that he didn't know much about Borg Warner".

This does suggest there is a difference between the factory turbo and the replacement turbo.

Push for a factory replacement turbo. Remind the warranty company it knew the car was a Porsche turbo and you certainly paid Turbo premium money for the warranty. The warranty company didn't give you Borg Warner premium...
Old 12-31-2016, 05:22 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,243 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I am almost positive that Borg-Warner makes the 996TT turbos for Porsche so if the part numbers match there is no difference between them other than the "Porsche tax" added to the price of the one bought from Porsche.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:22 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster
This doesn't give my any warm fuzzies about using the non-OE turbo: "any off balance in performance would through codes, so he wasn't too worried, but did admit that he didn't know much about Borg Warner".

This does suggest there is a difference between the factory turbo and the replacement turbo.
Push for a factory replacement turbo. Remind the warranty company it knew the car was a Porsche turbo and you certainly paid Turbo premium money for the warranty. The warranty company didn't give you Borg Warner premium...
completely disagree. if anything it suggests the "mechanic" apparently doesn't know the difference to speak intelligently and codify any possible difference btw the oem turbo and a BW replacement. though the sentence is confusing enough for me to surmise that the OP is also possibly losing a bit in translation as i'd be switching mechanics that answered MY concerns in that way, far sooner, than I'd worry about a BorgWarner k16 turbo made specifically for use for the porsche m96/3.6L 911 turbo being installed in the car.

it says nothing whatsoever about the turbo itself, as to whether or not it is a viable and equivalent replacement part. again, i wouldn't be at all surprised to learn the only difference might be the badging of the two "different" turbo's, all else being more than likely equal. again, it's not as if BorgWarner is not a "brand name" in the "world" of turbo's.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:28 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

completely disagree. if anything it suggests the "mechanic" apparently doesn't know the difference ( this presumes any even exists! ) to speak intelligently and codify any possible difference btw the oem turbo and a BW replacement. though the sentence is confusing enough for me to surmise that the OP is also possibly losing a bit in translation as i'd be switching mechanics that answered MY concerns in that way, far sooner, than I'd worry about a BorgWarner k16 made specifically for use for the porsche m96/3.6L 911 turbo replacement turbo being installed in the car.

it says nothing whatsoever about the turbo itself, as to whether or not it is a viable and equivalent replacement part. again, i wouldn't be at all surprised to learn the only difference might be the badging of the two "different" turbo's, all else being more than likely equal. again, it's not as if BorgWarner is not a "brand name" in the "world" of turbo's.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:00 PM
Paulpellegrin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mechanic was going to order from Pelican Parts. I will contact them direct an ask if their BW is in fact a direct replacement to OEM, IE identical except Porsche badging.

I am in St. Louis, not much in the way of good shops. This guy seems to be the best around. The dealer couldn't even find turbo issue, leaky radiator and never called back with horns when they were ordered, etc...

I sure thank you all for your feedback and advise. I will also be calling warranty company about Biobankers idea, either one OEM or two BW if I can't get definitive understanding on BW Turbo.

BTW, Happy New year to all of you!
Old 12-31-2016, 06:48 PM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like an easy way to upgrade the turbos or turbo wheels and offset the cost of an upgrade.
Shawn
Old 12-31-2016, 06:57 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Paulpellegrin
Mechanic was going to order from Pelican Parts. I will contact them direct an ask if their BW is in fact a direct replacement to OEM, IE identical except Porsche badging.

I am in St. Louis, not much in the way of good shops. This guy seems to be the best around. The dealer couldn't even find turbo issue, leaky radiator and never called back with horns when they were ordered, etc...

I sure thank you all for your feedback and advise. I will also be calling warranty company about Biobankers idea, either one OEM or two BW if I can't get definitive understanding on BW Turbo.

BTW, Happy New year to all of you!
i think you can take some comfort armed with the knowledge that not only did BorgWarner conceive of and also manufacture the "porsche VTG" turbo first introduced for the 997 turbo. they also received from porsche a "supplier of the year" award.. lending credence only to what I've been suggesting all along relative to using a BW replacement for your car. just go with the correct BW replacement. you'll be fine.

happy new year, and good luck!

https://www.borgwarner.com/en/news-m...the-year-award
Old 12-31-2016, 08:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
completely disagree. if anything it suggests the "mechanic" apparently doesn't know the difference ( this presumes any even exists! ) to speak intelligently and codify any possible difference btw the oem turbo and a BW replacement. though the sentence is confusing enough for me to surmise that the OP is also possibly losing a bit in translation as i'd be switching mechanics that answered MY concerns in that way, far sooner, than I'd worry about a BorgWarner k16 made specifically for use for the porsche m96/3.6L 911 turbo replacement turbo being installed in the car.

Agree the mechanic likely doesn't know the difference. But I would if I were in the OP's strive to not have the find out if there is any difference.

I'd push to have installed a factory turbo not some supposedly the same non-factory turbo.

I have no desire to turn my Turbo into a test bed to determine if the B/W turbo was the "same". The OP has no engine telemetry from before to compared to any telemetery after to in some way assure him the replacement turbo is identical to a factory turbo.

My desire would be to have the exact same turbo installed so I could put this behind me and resume enjoying the car.

While there might be a "Porsche tax" on the factory replacement turbo you can be sure there was a "Porsche tax" on the warranty premium. Not the OP's job to help bolster the warranty company's bottom line. If the warranty company is not prepared to repair the car correctly without the question is the B/W turbo an identical replacement or not then it shouldn't be in the Porsche warranty business.

If the OP finds he has to accept a B/W turbo it might then be worth considering replacing the other side with an new B/W turbo possibly getting a discount on the 2nd turbo and getting some savings in labor cost in having both replaced.

The old turbo could possibly be sold to help recoup some of the cost of replacing it with a new B/W unit.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:02 PM
Jones R
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

While there might be a "Porsche tax" on the factory replacement turbo you can be sure there was a "Porsche tax" on the warranty premium. Not the OP's job to help bolster the warranty company's bottom line.
Have to agree with this. An OEM turbo replacement is a great reason to buy a warranty in the first place, and I'm sure it wasn't cheap.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:11 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

have your mechanic contact suncoast porsche. for oem items they are usually cheaper than pelican parts.

Quick Reply: 996 failed turbo-looking for advice