What's this piece?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:36 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Technically iPad mini

I've got a lot of things out of the car right now working on some other projects, so don't mind the missing console/trim pieces/seats. I can get better photos during next week when I finish re-assembling.

Relocated the CDR220 and climate control to the location where the CD Storage and the "Dynamic Sound Control" (essentially an equalizer thing) were located from factory.

The equalizer is now mounted behind the iPad so if something needs to be changed I can pop a trim piece and take iPad out and adjust the equalizer... Now I've played with the equalizer thing once the whole time I've owned the car, but the radio gets signal from the amp through it and won't work if it is removed without doing more in depth re-wiring. I wasn't interested in re-wiring things and I can tell a difference in sound quality when it is turned on/off so I left it inline to the system and out of the way.

iPad takes maybe a minute to remove, but I don't really intend to take it out often unless Im in a sketchy area or need it for something. It gets power on ignition from the plug this thread is integrated the factory radio/speakers to use Pandora/Spotify/Waze/Maps/Harry's Lap Timer.. Lap Timer can connect to GoPro if I ever mount it somewhere and to make track video with telemetry.. Looking forward to trying it all out The factory owners manual, full factory repair manual, the entire parts diagram for 996TT and the full wiring diagram for 996TT are all downloaded into the iPad for quick access any time I need to look something up.

If you can install an SSK, you can do the iPad.
Chris, that's awesome, thanks for sharing the info! Great way to modernize the 996TT!
Old 12-26-2016, 12:46 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by WagonLover
Neat! And compliments on the pristine radio *****, too!
Thank you I gave up cleaning the ***** and bought replacements from an online audio shop. Prior to the iPad, that was my favorite interior improvement!

Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
I did the same thing in my Turbo (running a Pioneer head unit that powers it with USB). I use it for all of the same reason, and Waze! Love it! Could never go back.
I was going to do that method as well, but due to the factory equalizer thing, it was a bit of a headache.. And once I got started I thought it was kind of a cool project to try and keep the OEM head unit.

For power I hardwired in a 5A dual USB power outlet (2.5A power to each outlet) into switched 12v and that provides power to the iPad and can also serve as power source for GoPro, or if I need to power something else via USB it is easily accessible. I connect the iPad to the audio system using bluetooth adapter kit for the factory radio. Works great! Yes Waze integration is a huge part of why I did it

I am hoping for jailbreak on the new iOS to make it easier to do some of the features I have programmed my way around..

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Where does the data connection come from? Are you using the hotspot from your mobile phone?
iPad has its own LTE connection, or if you have an iPad that is wifi only then hotspot would work as well.

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Chris, that's awesome, thanks for sharing the info! Great way to modernize the 996TT!
Thank you for the compliment, happy to share any details I can That was my goal- modernize, but not take away from the overall "feel" of the car.

Quick Reply: What's this piece?