Sponsored by:

chip

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Turbo Ron
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chip

How may of you on this board have" not" chipped your cars? I am trying to see the percentages. Debating whether or not to do this while I am still under warranty.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:38 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Default Re: chip

DO IT!!! You will love it!!!! If you have a good relationship with dealer, they will never give you a problem...
Evan
Old 11-01-2003, 10:22 PM
ypshan
Instructor

I haven't. It will take me a few years of learning to fully utilize the hp that came with the X50 package.

By then, I may mod it or just trade in for another car.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:15 AM
keruiser
2nd Gear

I haven't, but am thinking about it. Still have question as to which tuner I would go with. Seems to be a significant variation in price, for similar hp gains.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:45 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Have not. My concerns are local technical support, not giving the dealer any outs on an extremely complicated car, and not wanting to give up any of the extreme liveability of the standard X50. Oh, almost forgot, the car is still much faster than I am, and it's already a struggle to keep the speeds sane. 98% of my driving could not use one more hp than I've got, and the 2% that could is only for thrill purposes. To me, the potential cost and aggravation of loss of warranty is too high a price. AS
Old 11-02-2003, 12:10 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Warranyties are not a clear cut issue...it really all depends on your dealer end of the day...Also, GIAC has what is called an IBE Chipswitch where you have 3 programs on your car and most people have stock as one of those 3. If you switch to stock the dealer can not tell that you have an ECU upgrade
Old 11-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Fanman
Instructor

If you have a turbo, I would tell you to go for it as :

1) The horsepower gains are unreal, much better than on the NA car.

2) The engine block on the TT are larely bulletproof. Cars with 600-650 hp are daily drivers in europe.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:35 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Drivability is actually improved on the PES/EVO/Imagine Auto cars versus stock.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:09 AM
Cutter
Intermediate

Upsolute, $500 very well spent!!
Old 11-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not chipped mine because of the warranty issue. I have discussed it with my local service manager, and their position is that a major engine problem would not be covered. Although there are postings discussing the potential legal ramifications and arguements on this issue, I can imagine running up a substantial legal bill while trying to get warranty coverage, all the while having my car sit in pieces in the dealers shop. I took delivery 12/2002, so I've got about 2 more years, then it's all a moot point.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:32 PM
rutz964C4
Racer

My Uncle´s 996TT is chipped by upsolute here in Spain and there is a big difference in power, the price is very good compared to other chip tuners and the car is running perfectly.

The warranty issue, they told me that the only thing it could happen is that when putting it in the machine, they could be able to reset the program and the car would return to its original power.

ALEX
Old 11-04-2003, 02:26 PM
boqueron
Pro

ALex,

Could you please let me know who did the job in Spain. I leave in Madrid and would like to contact them. BTW, it would be great if I could try your uncle's car. ( of course, he would be sitting there with me keeping my 2002 TT as the best guarantee!! )
Old 11-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Turbo Ron
Instructor

Thanks for all your replies. Have any of you used a chip from Gembella. I am speaking to Hinze regarding his chip. He tells me not to use a piggy back chip, and to get an extra chip to put back in for warrentee issues. What do you all think? Is he a good person to use, for a chip, for my car. I will be speaking to him on Monday. I have a warrentee till Apr 2007. I am a little concerned about voiding the warrentee, for a 60 HP increase. Can you really feel the increase. Does the car run hotter? Has anyone had any problems with a chip?
Old 11-05-2003, 09:39 PM
N3O
Intermediate

Can someone explain what is "piggy back chip" ?
Thanks
Old 11-06-2003, 10:36 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The piggy back system is a very old way of tuning computers. It was used when no one knew or had a way of writing code to the ECU. You would take this unit and cut into the wiring harness and splice this "black box" in the way. The box could be set to specific valves to increase performance, however in reality what it was really doing was sending your ECU different info then what the car was really doing. By making the computer think the car is cold etc the system would add more fuel and you could trickle the MAF to tell the system less air was moving and add more timing. The ECU in the car simply acted as if the information was real. Not a great way to mod a car. People like Garrett @GIAC rewrite the code inside your ECU to allow the computer to function with all safety checks and adaptive measures to stay in line. By doing this you are modifying the car as Porsche does in their X50 programming and GTII. The piggy back is an old measure of doing things.

Quick Reply: chip