Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow faded headlights be gone!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 03:43 PM
Page
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow faded headlights be gone!

How many cars on the road do you see with yellowing faded headlights.

Man I hated seeing my car like this, disgusted in fact. I've been putting it off for a while now. I like doing things on my own, but with so many projects and work, time kept slipping away. So finally got around to tackling this project.

I waited for a good stretch of weather (no rain) that wasn't too hot and fairly low humidity (under 50%-ish).

Took the headlights off the car and gave them a quick clean with soap and water.

I started out with 400 grit wet sandpaper (I pre soak the paper for a few mins) to quickly tackle the messed up UV coating (I use a small foam 3m sanding pad 05526). Quickly enough the yellowing was gone from the lights. Next was 800 grit (I sanded diagonally between each change of grit). You could stop there or finish up with 1000-1500. I used a small bucket half filled with water constantly cleaning and wetting the paper (change water when dirty). You can also use a spray bottle with water. Also continue rinsing the lights as you want to remove all the contaminants that you're sanding off.

Give them a good clean with soap and water to remove all residue from lights. Don't go to crazy with the hose as they are not 100% water tight.

Blow them off with an air hose (if you have a compressor) or dry them down with microfibre cloth.

Next is to prep where you will be clear coating them. You'll need a near dust free environment or best as you can find (could be done outside on a calm day). I have a shed that I put up plastic around the walls and floor. Al la Dexter! ;-)

Tape up the lights as best you can. First go around the lights with tape. I taped on the black rubber seal, just under the plastic housing. Then cover the housing with newspaper, any kind will do.

Place them where you will be spraying them. Then I cleaned the plastic lens with SEM 38353 Plastic & Leather prep. Best is to use a lint free towel. I used Scott Shop Towels, they are the best I had on hand.

Once I wiped them down, I gave them a quick blast of compressed air (Some use tack cloth to go over to remove any lint).

Make sure you wear a respirator when spraying!

Next was to use SEM 39863 Plastic Adhesion Promoter. Follow the instructions on can.

Then I used Eastwood 2 part 2k clear in a can. I have a compressor and spray gun, but didn't want to go too crazy with that setup for these. Also, follow the instructions on can. I gave them a light first coat, then waited 15-20 mins for the next. You should be able to get 3-4 wet coats with the can. The can has a nice spray pattern and flows well.

Let them dry at least 24-48hrs before wet wanding and polishing them. Don't wait too long, as the clear will harden and be more difficult to sand.

Remove all the masking.

I started out with 800 grit wet. Start with clean water and pre wetting the sandpaper. Wet the lights and start sanding. Use a small foam 3m sanding pad. But be careful, you don't want to sand through the clear coat after all the work you just went through. Be cautious of the lens. The center oval is ok, but there is a slight ridge towards the outside of the lens. Run your finger over it so you know it there (Some also put tape as a guide). Work the whole light to get the orange peel out. Rinsing the white milky residue as you go. Move up to 1500 and finish with 2500. Clean off the lens in between coats and use clean water.

Finally clean lens with soap and water. Dry and inspect and hopefully you haven't sanded through the clear coat!

Final stages will be polishing them up. You could attempt to polish them by hand, but that's a lot of elbow grease. I have a Flex rotary polisher I used with 4" pad.

You can use cutting compound of your choice. People swear by Meguiar's M105 and M205. I used what I had on-hand. Sonax nano polish with orange pad, followed up with 3m Lens & Hard cleaner polish with black pad.

Just with sanding, please be cautious when polishing, as you can also burn through the clear coat the same. I went max 1500RPM.

I will wait a couple of weeks for the clear to fully cure / harden, the I will put Xpel film on the headlights to further protect from the sun's UV rays and rock chips.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:49 PM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried Mosquito repellent? Just spray and wipe! Works great! Done it on my cars.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:29 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Nice job and nice write-up. I did some of this this on my E39 a while back but did not re-coat the plastic. Your results look excellent. Very happy that my 996TT is a garage queen and the lights are perfect (and Expel covered).
Old 08-15-2016, 11:58 AM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Did this earlier this summer on mine. Made a massive difference. Wrote about it in the "what did you do to your 996 thread". We used a nearly identical process
Old 08-15-2016, 10:10 PM
Page
Advanced

Jealous! Wish I had a bigger garage. Mine is turned into a wood shop. Also going to put Xpel to further give some UV / rock chip protection.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:09 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Very nice job!! I am too scared to do this... sandpaper to headlights... scares me. lol
Old 08-17-2016, 11:24 PM
Page
Advanced

Kalyan- haha, if they are messed up anyways no biggie. When final clear coat sanding is when you have to be cautious of the ridges that you don't sand through.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:43 PM
ohioboxster
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to use your write up. I have an older Camaro with yellowing headlights.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:26 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks. Please keep us posted on how this holds up. I have not had great luck with the products I have tried lasting the test of time against the UV in follow up years.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:51 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts

After reading that, I am feeling inspired. :-)
Old 07-27-2017, 04:21 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
Thanks. Please keep us posted on how this holds up. I have not had great luck with the products I have tried lasting the test of time against the UV in follow up years.
The 2k clearcoat is the key as it will last forever.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:38 PM
bugeyemilo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to do this so badly
Old 07-28-2017, 02:12 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Nice job, especially on properly sealing them. Thanks for sharing!

Most of the DIY's you see out there don't seal them at the end, in which case, they'll be yellow again soon!
Old 07-28-2017, 02:39 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write up. I'll get around to mine...eventually...lol
Old 08-14-2017, 11:49 PM
Page
Advanced

Hi, sorry for the lack of response. Here's a year update. I installed Xpel clear film on the headlights. I wanted some more rock and UV protection they give. I waited a few days to a week so the clear had time to cure.

Here's a photo. Headlight / Xpel.

Now I'm no longer embarrassed that my light were soo messed up when driving to C&C

Quick Reply: Yellow faded headlights be gone!