Sponsored by:

Steering binding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Steering binding?

I have a strange issue with my steering since i chaged my spark plugs of all things. I know it is not related but is sure is a strange coincidence. When i turn left at low-medium speed with the wheel turned about 45 to 60 degrees and then exit the corner the wheel sort of hangs up and does not return through a sort of tight spot. It does not do it turning right. If i crank the wheel back and forth at a stop there is no indication of binding or noises. PS fluid is fine. Car has 50K of west coast milage. I need to jack it up and turn the wheels back and forth to look for binding. But i am also looking for any suggestions from past experiences. My guess would be a ball joint or the bearing at the top of the strut.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
I have a strange issue with my steering since i chaged my spark plugs of all things. I know it is not related but is sure is a strange coincidence. When i turn left at low-medium speed with the wheel turned about 45 to 60 degrees and then exit the corner the wheel sort of hangs up and does not return through a sort of tight spot. It does not do it turning right. If i crank the wheel back and forth at a stop there is no indication of binding or noises. PS fluid is fine. Car has 50K of west coast milage. I need to jack it up and turn the wheels back and forth to look for binding. But i am also looking for any suggestions from past experiences. My guess would be a ball joint or the bearing at the top of the strut.
Could be a rack problem.

To test the steering one test involves on a parking lot with room and no traffic make a slow speed u-turn. As the turn completes release the steering wheel and let it find its center. Note where the wheel stops. Use some masking tape to mark the top of the wheel.

Repeat this u-turn business several times in both directions. If the wheel doesn't stop real close to the same spot each time -- and straight ahead -- this can be a steering rack problem.

'course, it could be a binding of some other component so one shouldn't replace the rack without more diagnosis.

Getting the car on an alignment rack I think would be of some value. On this rack the steering wheel can be turned and the wheels should be free to rotate. Someone can turn the steering wheel and a person can be at the front with the lid open and checking for sounds of trouble from the strut tops. Then the rack can be raised and a check made from under the car.

If you try this on the ground the tires scrubbing as the wheel is turned could mask any sounds/vibration from the problem area.

Quick Reply: Steering binding?