Sponsored by:

New 996TT - need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:51 AM
ntguru
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 996TT - need help!!

Hi all, I just got my first Porsche, a silver '01 996TT and boy is it sweet! I am having a painful problem and I need some thoughts/experience from other owners.

I have a fairly steep driveway and driveway apron and no matter what angle I go in or out at, I get some scraping. If I go straight on, the front air splitter scapes like crazy. If I go at an angle I get a little bit of scrapage on the front and a little bit on the back (mufflers?). Hearing these scrapes is like getting kicked in the crotch!

I know this might be a long shot but is anyone aware of any products that would help here? I was thinking some sort of hard rubber mat that was flat on top and curved toward a hump in the middle could be laid down with the hump in the "gutter". Obviously I am trying to avoid having to spend a fortune and have my driveway and apron redone, and I'm not even sure that it would be possible.

TIA!
Old 10-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Assuming that your car is standard ride height, the only thing that I can think of is installing a long gentle incline ramp going way out to your street, similar to the way a flatbed tow truck articulates to pick up race cars.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:47 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

what you describe requires a 'severe' angle of approach (and of course, do not weight the front suspension..ie brake, while turning in).

Going to a C4s chin spoiler will help a small amount also...........of course, not having seen what you are facing, it's impossible to know if there is any 'remedy'.........I'm not aware of any "hard mat" you mention.

I'm **** about no scrapes on my chin but would admit it's become an art-form in drive skill to avoid.............problem is, the 996 nose is way out there....the turbo 'chin' is out further & lower yet...good luck to ya...enjoy the car.....(and either fix your drive or move )
Old 10-09-2003, 06:55 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Nice pic!! Whos car is that?? Are the grills painted silver?? I always thought how that would look and I love it!!
Old 10-09-2003, 07:18 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks......appreciated....but here's the 'nose shot' I actually meant to run (showing a quick compare to her brother & sis 996 & 993)......Not to hijack the thread here but your answer, yes.....I had the horizontal louvers on the 2 side intakes painted (along other stuff).
Back to the point.......993, and even 986, are not 'out there' anywhere near as far as TT......and upside on the Box is you can fasten the stainless steel boomerang under the front, then she's just about indistructable.....no such luck w/the TT.....no place to mount (at least w/ the OE front bumper).
Old 10-11-2003, 01:03 PM
DGautosport
4th Gear

www.performanceproducts.com sells a steel strip which is supposed to protect against steep driveways and road damage. 430$ each
Old 10-12-2003, 01:10 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DGautosport
www.performanceproducts.com sells a steel strip which is supposed to protect against steep driveways and road damage. 430$ each
Has anybody successfully used them?.........I ordered a set 2 yrs ago & sent them back because I could not see they would address the problem.........would like to hear someone w/good experience.

Quick Reply: New 996TT - need help!!