The Practical Supercar

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 05:40 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts
Default The Practical Supercar

I just returned from a 3600 mile vacation to New Mexico and Colorado. I have to say that I am more impressed with my 996TT now than before I left. Although the car lacks some of the raw sports car "feel", and nimbleness of the smaller 993, it is proving to be "the practical supercar".

Just before leaving town with 917 miles on the clock, I added my first quart of oil. Despite my doubts, I ran to Albuquerque at 80 - 85 mph with the cruise control the entire way. At 2900 mile I added my second quart of oil. I've now got 4500 on the clock and am down 1/4 quart or so. The engine seems to be breaking-in well.

The amount of torque and power available never ceases to amaze me. No matter the gear or the speed, significant acceleration is available in an instant. There is a tiny bit of turbo lag, but it is insignificant. What impressed me most was the performance at altitude. Albuquerque is at 5000 ft., Sante Fe at 7,000 ft., and most of SW Colorado is 8,500 - 11,000. I simply set the cruise control and watched the boost gauge. It would seem that the wastegates can't close linearly from 0 - .1 bar boost. When climbing a grade a constant speed, I could feel something as the boost hit .1 bar. From there, the boost built seamlessly all the way to .8 bar.

It's impressive being able to pass anything, anywhere. Passing 2 semi's at 7,000+ ft. is ridiculously easy. On a straight flat road at 7,000 ft., I tried simply pressing the accelerator to the floor in 6th gear. Boost immediately hit .2 and maxed at 1.0 as I passed thru the 145 mph mark. Simply amazing! No drama, no effort. I'll take Porsche's word that the car will reach 180+ mph.

I was pleasantly surprised by the fuel economy. On one tank of gas from Albuquerque to Amarillo, I averaged 25.6 mpg at 85 mph. I'll take that any day. I could probably do better at 65 mph, but what would be the point in that.

Most surprisingly of all was how comfortable the car rode. At 34/36 F/R inflation, the car was comfortable and stable. I logged 650+ miles a couple of days and was as fresh when I arrived as when I left. I think that the ride height is a bit higher than the good Dr. Porsche intended, but I still had to be careful on the steep approach ramps that seem to be common in the west.

I have been able to improve my upshift smoothness. I think the problem stems from the modulation characteristics of the clutch and the E-Gas fly by wire throttle. I found that if I position my foot farther up the accelerator, I can make smoother upshifts. The problem is that when I move my foot from the brake back to the throttle, I usually place it too far down the pedal to get smooth, controllable modulation. Downshifts on the other hand are seamless.

I see that owners have modified these cars to produce 500, 600, or 700 hp. I got into a discussion with a guy, and tried to explain to him that although an engine can produce 700 hp on a dyno, it probably can't do it in a car because you can't put a 700 hp load on the engine. Maybe at Bonneville, but probably nowhere else. I don't think he understood anything I told him. I got him to admit that IF he could lift 400 lbs., he couldn't do it unless he HAD 400 lbs. to lift. He simply couldn't see the similarity to loading an engine. I'm quite happy with my paltry 415 hp. and 415 lb.-ft. of torque. Anything more for me is meaningless.

Like I said, the 996TT seems like "the practical supercar".

Cheers,
Old 10-08-2003, 06:02 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Fred glad you are happy! I cant believe one our own left the air cooled
'Hood' But hey, if a fellow engineer likes the 996TT it HAS to be nice.
You should have gone a little bit further west and hooked
up with your West Coast brethren! Albq. to Amarillo has
to be fun in a TT!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

OG

There is nothing "fun" about Albq. to Amarillo. There is nothing out there! Only a dead straight road and a few trucks. Cell phones don't even work there. On the other hand, there a few cops watching your behavior. I'd still take Durango to Telluride any day.

Cheers,
Old 10-08-2003, 06:20 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Fred in your car albq to ammarillo is what? an hour and a half
Yes Colorado is nice, I have been to Denver many times and
taken I 15 from Utah through the rockies to Denver. I want to
explore more of that state. Unforunately its becoming alot like
California
Old 10-08-2003, 06:41 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: The Practical Supercar

Originally posted by Fred R. C4S
On a straight flat road at 7,000 ft., I tried simply pressing the accelerator to the floor in 6th gear. Boost immediately hit .2 and maxed at 1.0 as I passed thru the 145 mph mark.
I was under the impression that max boost for regular turbos was .8, X50 was .9, and GT2 was 1.0. How did you hit 1 bar in your car? Or am I mistaken?
Old 10-08-2003, 07:26 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

ah,
1 atmosphere at 7,000 elevation much less than sea level.

Quick Reply: The Practical Supercar