Sponsored by:

COBB APv3 reviews anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 02:04 AM
jerry1847
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default COBB APv3 reviews anyone?

Just picked up my first Porsche, 04 turbo cab. Will arrive on a transport Thursday. Super excited to drive it, and drop some coin tuning.

Anyone use the COBB access port with good success? Looks like it's newer on the 996tt.

I tried researching but only saw a chart with gains of ~40 HP or so. Seemed low to me. I used a COBB on my 335i and picked up close to 70hp off stock. Just planning on a tune now and will hit intake, exhaust and prob some coilovers after I finish parting out my old ride.
The following users liked this post:
PourBoi-Jay (10-20-2022)
Old 03-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Lucid Moment
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I am using Cobb, however I am not stock, and have a custom tune. I've used it on BMW as well. The stock loaded maps are ok, but if you start adding modifications, exhaust, intercoolers, turbo's etc you'd benefit a lot more from a custom tune.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Lucid Moment
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

And welcome to the forum!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:38 AM
gophaster
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have not used Cobb (my car is on stock tune) but I have been looking at all the various tuners including Cobb for some time now. I believe the off the shelf tunes that come with it are pretty conservative since they are sort of universal tunes. I spoke to Sambott (who sells Cobb) and my understanding is that he will have you send a log (you can log directly from the Cobb AP) to him once you get it in the car and he will tweak the tune to your setup even if the car is otherwise bone stock. Hence why if I do decide to get a Cobb I'm going with him

The other tuners (non Cobb tuners) will do the same, if you have a Durametric you can send them some logs and they will tweak the tune to get the most out of it.

Hopefully others will chime in, but this is my understanding regarding Cobb AP.

BTW, congrats on the car!!!
Old 03-02-2016, 12:17 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry1847
Just picked up my first Porsche, 04 turbo cab. Will arrive on a transport Thursday. Super excited to drive it, and drop some coin tuning.

Anyone use the COBB access port with good success? Looks like it's newer on the 996tt.

I tried researching but only saw a chart with gains of ~40 HP or so. Seemed low to me. I used a COBB on my 335i and picked up close to 70hp off stock. Just planning on a tune now and will hit intake, exhaust and prob some coilovers after I finish parting out my old ride.
Call UMW, lots of very satisfied customers including myself. The knowledge and personal service from Kevin is top shelf.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gophaster
Hopefully others will chime in, but this is my understanding regarding Cobb AP.
I have a Cobb AP with a custom tune by Sambo. It's been on the car for a 3-4 months now. Other than Kline 2.5" exhaust and diverters, engine is 100% stock with fresh plugs, coils, and fuel filter. Car has never run better. No CELs, and no dreaded ABS/PSM Failures. Very good throttle response and runs/drive like stock....until I tip into the the throttle hard and then not really comparable since it's making so much more torque.

I have multiple tunes, including a MAFless tune that is my favorite. With exhaust and diverters, the gains are significantly higher than 40hp, although I have not dyno'd my car to confirm or quantify, it's not that important to me.

Sam had a look at my log files to ensure all is well. Making plenty of boost and AFRs are very safe.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Blswan
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Cobb has a great reputation with certain brands like Subaru. When it comes to Porsches and specifically the 996tt you will find a 2-3 companies that are consistently recommended here. Just run a quick search. As 911mhawk said, UMW is one of them.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:40 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a Cobb AP3 on my BMW 335xi too. The AP is a neat little tool, but it's really all about the tuner. My first tune on the BMW was done on a dyno and was ok, but it had weird drivability issues that they couldn't fix... fell into the "they all do that" trap. Because I'm stupid, I purchased a turbo upgrade for that car too, and that's when drivability really took a dump. It made impressive horsepower, but day to day driving was funky... maybe if I had a MT it would've been different.

People buy the AP thinking it's the answer to all tuning. It's a tool set; iit still takes a skilled tuner to make the right changes. I learned that way that the tune is what matters, not how it's delivered.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:51 PM
BauerR
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the Cobb and love it. Noticed an immediate difference in power and response with just the OTS maps. However, I do agree with everyone about the OTS conservative tune. There's a lot more there if you get your car tune specific. Playing Devils Advocate, though, I also agree with Cobb to keep it conservative. Especially with the 996's reputation for boost/vacuum leaks.
Do yourself a favor. Before you do anything, change the plugs and do a boost leak test.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:19 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 161 Posts

I've only heard good things about Cobb from Porsche owners and from many other platforms (GTR, etc). So this is the route I will go. I've noticed it is harder to find any info about Cobb tuners for Porsche than about actual hardware/software, so once I do pull the trigger for this I will stay with OTS tune until there is more data on tuners.

A tool is useless without a competent operator. I think of it like this... I could give my lovely lady access to all of the tools in the garage, but that doesn't mean she can be a mechanic....
Old 03-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 121 Posts

It's Thursday. Pictures or it didn't happen.

Let's see the new baby.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:49 PM
BauerR
Pro

Originally Posted by T10Chris
I've only heard good things about Cobb from Porsche owners and from many other platforms (GTR, etc). So this is the route I will go. I've noticed it is harder to find any info about Cobb tuners for Porsche than about actual hardware/software, so once I do pull the trigger for this I will stay with OTS tune until there is more data on tuners.

A tool is useless without a competent operator. I think of it like this... I could give my lovely lady access to all of the tools in the garage, but that doesn't mean she can be a mechanic....
What do you currenly have done to your car?
Old 03-03-2016, 05:59 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BauerR
What do you currenly have done to your car?
It's all stock K16 car currently. I have GT2RS intercoolers sitting in the garage waiting to install to help fight heat soak at track days. Currently gathering parts to convert to a 997TT airbox, so I want Cobb to use a mafless tune to make that work. A friend gave me a set of boost hoses that connect turbos to IC, and ICs to the intake y-pipe, but not sure if I'll put those in, researching that still. Other then that, I'll probably pick up an exhaust at some point.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:12 PM
BauerR
Pro

Originally Posted by T10Chris
It's all stock K16 car currently. I have GT2RS intercoolers sitting in the garage waiting to install to help fight heat soak at track days. Currently gathering parts to convert to a 997TT airbox, so I want Cobb to use a mafless tune to make that work. A friend gave me a set of boost hoses that connect turbos to IC, and ICs to the intake y-pipe, but not sure if I'll put those in, researching that still. Other then that, I'll probably pick up an exhaust at some point.
Cobb would be perfect for you. With the stock, stage 1 and 2 OTS programs you can grown into it.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:52 PM
jerry1847
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Been slacking.... Here she is.

I have a good bit of work to do, the ding on the hood being high on the list. Have new filters, fluids and coils/plugs inbound. Then prob a new belt and pulley check.

COBB on my 335 was not very conservative IMO. I went from an otherwise stock 335 to an Audi A4 to "slow down" with kid #1. The a4 turned into a massive project that just got out of hand. Full suspension upgrades and aftermarket everything else with a way too big turbo. It put down great power but day to day driving was trouble.

I told myself I would keep this one stock ........

Quick Reply: COBB APv3 reviews anyone?