Shifter question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 06:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I hate first gear... taller gear + more power = same g effect AND better city drivability.
And shorter gearing (read: stock) at the same "more power" = more g.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I don't usually agree with Dock...
This is twice now, right....?
Old 03-08-2019, 06:48 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

...AND better city drivability.
How so?
Old 03-08-2019, 07:00 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,137 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
How so?
Less jerky/quieter - I find that a slightly taller gear has smoother operation in traffic, and, as I have no mufflers, I expect it to be quieter, this for my other half - I'm pretty deaf, and thus, why I removed the mufflers....

When I drive my friends 991.2s, I don't drive it in auto mode, I use the paddles and I find the taller gear more desirable in the city.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:31 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Less jerky/quieter - I find that a slightly taller gear has smoother operation in traffic, and, as I have no mufflers, I expect it to be quieter, this for my other half - I'm pretty deaf, and thus, why I removed the mufflers....
Interesting.

I don't understand the "less jerky" part.

As for the noise, I understand more about that. If I were in your shoes (hearing wise) I would do all I could to protect my hearing from further loss (read: reduce the noise your exhaust makes). I understand that not having mufflers allows you to better hear the exhaust, but that db level may also be doing further damage to your hearing when your other half is not with you.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:50 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Interesting.

I don't understand the "less jerky" part.

As for the noise, I understand more about that. If I were in your shoes (hearing wise) I would do all I could to protect my hearing from further loss (read: reduce the noise your exhaust makes). I understand that not having mufflers allows you to better hear the exhaust, but that db level may also be doing further damage to your hearing when your other half is not with you.
Size 13s + LWFW + PSS10s + Crappy Roads + Short 1st = 'jerky' right pedal operation..., at times...

Hearing is a little more complicated, I have a decidedly mid range flat spot - that just happens to be where most of us speak - it was hereditary and there is no fix. Fortunately, it doesn't get worse.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Size 13s + LWFW + PSS10s + Crappy Roads + Short 1st = 'jerky' right pedal operation..., at times...
You likely just need more practice with the set up. I also deal with almost all of those same things; I have the 13s + LWFW + X73 + same 1st gear, and "jerky" operations are not anything I experience. I may not deal with as many crappy roads, but I haven't driven in your area enough to make a good comparison to Georgia roads.

Hearing is a little more complicated, I have a decidedly mid range flat spot - that just happens to be where most of us speak - it was hereditary and there is no fix. Fortunately, it doesn't get worse.
Exposure to high dB doesn't ever help one's hearing.

If I were in your situation I'd just stay with the stock gearing and choose a gear that satisfied the other half. Then when she's not with you the better stock gearing acceleration is available.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:31 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You likely just need more practice with the set up. I also deal with almost all of those same things; I have the 13s + LWFW + X73 + same 1st gear, and "jerky" operations are not anything I experience. I may not deal with as many crappy roads, but I haven't driven in your area enough to make a good comparison to Georgia roads.

Exposure to high dB doesn't ever help one's hearing.

If I were in your situation I'd just stay with the stock gearing and choose a gear that satisfied the other half. Then when she's not with you the better stock gearing acceleration is available.
Perhaps with the exception of New York/Chicago/Detroit (Known REALLY bad roads...) I find most of the highways and bi ways in the States superior to ours. And you are correct, I most certainly don't have a lot of miles on the new set up yet, I suppose I don't like the upshift idea as the previous owner of my car was notorious for putting around town in 6th @ 30mph - shift fork was replaced along with clutch...

I do not find it super loud in the car, unless it is way up on the revs - I have no problem talking/hearing at a nice 60/70mph cruise.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't like the upshift idea as the previous owner of my car was notorious for putting around town in 6th @ 30mph - shift fork was replaced along with clutch...
Given the right situation I have no issue with motoring along at as low as 2000 RPM in 3-6 gears. I obviously will motor along below 2000 RPM in 1st or 2nd if traffic or mood produces slow speeds.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:47 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Given the right situation I have no issue with motoring along at as low as 2000 RPM in 3-6 gears. I obviously will motor along below 2000 RPM in 1st or 2nd if traffic or mood produces slow speeds.
Agreed - 2000rpm, no problem. The issue the clutch assembly had was the shifter fork was completely worn and I was told that type of wear was directly traceable to high gear/low rpm operation.

The manual clearly states that if the engine drops below 1500rpm, shift down to compensate.... previous guy did not read the book...

Quick Reply: Shifter question...