Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 12:32 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some armchair surfing last night, and ran across a few sites that suggested worn engine mounts could cause problems with shift linkage, among other things like excessive vibrations.

Suncoast parts site stated that worn transmission mounts could also cause problems with imprecise shifting.

Given the PPI I had done out of state a few weeks ago recommended the car get new engine and transmission mounts, I'm going to visit one of my recommended local indy shops and get their advice tomorrow morning.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:35 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool, thanks Rob

Originally Posted by 993GT
yes any 997 shifter is a huge improvement...much shorter(not sure on % but its good ) and better feel/accuracy
Old 02-21-2016, 12:54 PM
docboy
Racer

Originally Posted by 993GT
yes any 997 shifter is a huge improvement...much shorter(not sure on % but its good ) and better feel/accuracy
I'll also ask about the 997 shifter too as well.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
I did some armchair surfing last night, and ran across a few sites that suggested worn engine mounts could cause problems with shift linkage, among other things like excessive vibrations.

Suncoast parts site stated that worn transmission mounts could also cause problems with imprecise shifting.

Given the PPI I had done out of state a few weeks ago recommended the car get new engine and transmission mounts, I'm going to visit one of my recommended local indy shops and get their advice tomorrow morning.
If the PPI recommended new engine/tranny mounts why go to the expense of a 2nd opinion? If you don't accept the 1st opinion you paid for what's the point of paying for a 2nd one?

My advice would be to get the engine/tranny mounts replaced. At the same time I'd have the transmission/diff(s) fluid changed. While the miles is not high, and there is no change on time for transmission fluid, for a new used car I like to get some of the infrequent servicing done and kind of reset the vital fluids/servicing to their starting point.

Also, while the car is in for the above, I'd have the 997 shifter installed. When my 2003 Turbo's stock shifter broke at around 30K miles the Porsche tech recommended the 997 shifter and I went with it and the improvement was quite impressive. Best "mod" (ok, ok I admit the only mod) I've done.

My thinking if you have been having trouble shifting so has the previous owner and the shifter has suffered extra wear and tear and could be worn out and maybe close to failing.

You get the car back with new engine/tranny mounts which the PPI said were needed, you get the tranny/diff fluids refreshed, and a questionable shifter replaced with a much better one.

As an aside, I'm not in favor of a short throw shifter. The shifting throw's length is intentional to give the synchronizer time to match its gear wheel speed to the one to which it is being engaged with to reduce wear and tear on the transmission hardware.

By shortening this without a change in synchro size/design or from lessening the weight of the hardware the synchro has to speed up/slow down results in more wear and tear on the transmission.

Since my 2003 Turbo's 6-speed transmission was replaced early on -- under CPO warranty and due to a selector shaft leak -- and I learned the cost of a new transmission is over $10K and I want to give the "new" transmission every chance of lasting as long as possible a short throw shifter while even then way down on my list of possible "mods" went down even further.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:24 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Dont look at 997 Shifters and not consider a Numeric - the Numeric is the better and more complete solution. It isnt a drop in assembly, but instead it is a full replacement for the entire shifting unit made from machined aluminum. Its gorgeous too - some dont put the console over it!

Old 02-21-2016, 07:55 PM
docboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Macster
If the PPI recommended new engine/tranny mounts why go to the expense of a 2nd opinion? If you don't accept the 1st opinion you paid for what's the point of paying for a 2nd one?

My advice would be to get the engine/tranny mounts replaced. At the same time I'd have the transmission/diff(s) fluid changed. While the miles is not high, and there is no change on time for transmission fluid, for a new used car I like to get some of the infrequent servicing done and kind of reset the vital fluids/servicing to their starting point.

Also, while the car is in for the above, I'd have the 997 shifter installed. When my 2003 Turbo's stock shifter broke at around 30K miles the Porsche tech recommended the 997 shifter and I went with it and the improvement was quite impressive. Best "mod" (ok, ok I admit the only mod) I've done.

My thinking if you have been having trouble shifting so has the previous owner and the shifter has suffered extra wear and tear and could be worn out and maybe close to failing.

You get the car back with new engine/tranny mounts which the PPI said were needed, you get the tranny/diff fluids refreshed, and a questionable shifter replaced with a much better one.

As an aside, I'm not in favor of a short throw shifter. The shifting throw's length is intentional to give the synchronizer time to match its gear wheel speed to the one to which it is being engaged with to reduce wear and tear on the transmission hardware.

By shortening this without a change in synchro size/design or from lessening the weight of the hardware the synchro has to speed up/slow down results in more wear and tear on the transmission.

Since my 2003 Turbo's 6-speed transmission was replaced early on -- under CPO warranty and due to a selector shaft leak -- and I learned the cost of a new transmission is over $10K and I want to give the "new" transmission every chance of lasting as long as possible a short throw shifter while even then way down on my list of possible "mods" went down even further.
The original PPI never mentioned anything about difficulty shifting into 2nd gear, so I can only "guess" the engine and tranny mounts this out of state shop recommend replacement are contributing to my difficulty shifting into 2nd gear.

Now that I think about it, this shop didn't mention anything re: shifting. FYI I bought this car based solely on pics, PPI, and good maintenance history. When I asked why they recommended engine/tranny mount replacement at time of PPI, here's their response:

"The engine and transmission mounts show signs of collapsing. The rear exhaust pipes are hanging too low. The build code on the engine mounts is 2001 indicating that they are original. In it's current condition, the engine and transmission are misaligned. Driving these mounts to total collapse will eliminate any isolation from the frame of the car causing noticeable vibration, particularly at low RPMs. Given the horsepower and torque on this car, this repair should not be delayed."

So... I need confirmation with one of my local indy p-car shop the worn mounts are causing 2nd gear shifting issues, not something else. At this time, I might as well get some other things taken care of this shop recommended so I can drive it without worries: replace the water pump and front strut mounts.

Btw Mac, which mounts would you recommend for longevity purposes?

997 shifter is beginning to sound like a good idea. How's your 997 shifter been treating you? Is it still going strong?
Old 02-21-2016, 07:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Apparently it uses the stock shift cables. And costs ~$700. Don't know how this compares to the factory Turbo shifter, or the factory 997 shifter.

Have to agree it is a work of art. The reviews all appear to be favorable but some mention noise from the cables? Not sure what this is about nor what to do about it. Maybe the company that makes the shifter has something on this?
Old 02-21-2016, 08:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

The original PPI never mentioned anything about difficulty shifting into 2nd gear, so I can only "guess" the engine and tranny mounts this out of state shop recommend replacement are contributing to my difficulty shifting into 2nd gear.

Now that I think about it, this shop didn't mention anything re: shifting. FYI I bought this car based solely on pics, PPI, and good maintenance history. When I asked why they recommended engine/tranny mount replacement at time of PPI, here's their response:

"The engine and transmission mounts show signs of collapsing. The rear exhaust pipes are hanging too low. The build code on the engine mounts is 2001 indicating that they are original. In it's current condition, the engine and transmission are misaligned. Driving these mounts to total collapse will eliminate any isolation from the frame of the car causing noticeable vibration, particularly at low RPMs. Given the horsepower and torque on this car, this repair should not be delayed."

So... I need confirmation with one of my local indy p-car shop the worn mounts are causing 2nd gear shifting issues, not something else. At this time, I might as well get some other things taken care of this shop recommended so I can drive it without worries: replace the water pump and front strut mounts.

Btw Mac, which mounts would you recommend for longevity purposes?

997 shifter is beginning to sound like a good idea. How's your 997 shifter been treating you? Is it still going strong?
I've only used factory mounts. While I had one in the Boxster go bad after I returned to CA -- which I did with Boxster mileage around 90K miles -- I do not recall at what miles but the miles were high. The replacement mount is fine and so are the others. Tranny mounts are original.

Turbo engine mounts and tranny engine mounts are fine with just over 140K miles.

If/when it comes time to replace them I'll probably go with the factory 996 Turbo mounts unless the tech advises me differently.

Just drove the car today and the shifter is still fine. Very "tight" and still has that like a rifle bolt feel to it. Best mod ever. Think I'll stop while I'm ahead.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:52 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Numeric can be adjusted to 3 different throw lengths. Use the stock length or the second one. Just don't shift quicker because the throw is shorter. Like Macster said, the Syncros need time to do their job...
Old 02-22-2016, 07:07 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

I replaced my stock shifter with the regular 997 one - isn't worth it. The reduction in throw is hardly noticeable - if you are going to swap, go for the GT3 or the 997 SSK and make it worth your while.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

agree. for "most" the two most "sensible" choices are numeric and the 997ssk.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:59 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 996 factory shifter with upgraded linkage is my favorite. I have tried a few but longer throws with more accuracy and less effort are prime for fast shifting.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:12 PM
docboy
Racer

I brought the 996tt into a local indy shop today. Their scheduled to replace the engine and transmission mounts, along with replacing the water pump that prior PPI showed start of leakage. New water pump is going to be an aluminum water pump (instead of the plastic OEM pump) for enhanced reliability

I informed the shop my issues shifting into 2nd gear, and they suggested (once I get the car back) try out the shifting first with the new mounts before switching out to a 997 shifter. Tech thinks the new mounts should remedy my issues and improve the car's driving dynamics, but will look around to make sure the linkages and shifter are ok. But as of now, I'm keeping the original 996tt shifter.

Tech is also going to scope the engine bay for any signs of coolant pipe leaks, as I told them I smell a slight burning rubberish smell coming from the rear engine driving the car and parking it in the garage. Hopefully this smell is just coming from the water pump seeping coolant. If not, I may be also be looking at getting the coolant pipes welded, a common issue I'm aware 996tt/997tt/GT2/GT3s suffer from.

Prior PPI also suggested I get the front strut mounts replaced as well, so tech will examine the front struts/mounts to see if they need replacement.

Will keep everyone posted...
Old 02-23-2016, 01:16 AM
Macster
Race Director

I brought the 996tt into a local indy shop today. Their scheduled to replace the engine and transmission mounts, along with replacing the water pump that prior PPI showed start of leakage. New water pump is going to be an aluminum water pump (instead of the plastic OEM pump) for enhanced reliability

I informed the shop my issues shifting into 2nd gear, and they suggested (once I get the car back) try out the shifting first with the new mounts before switching out to a 997 shifter. Tech thinks the new mounts should remedy my issues and improve the car's driving dynamics, but will look around to make sure the linkages and shifter are ok. But as of now, I'm keeping the original 996tt shifter.

Tech is also going to scope the engine bay for any signs of coolant pipe leaks, as I told them I smell a slight burning rubberish smell coming from the rear engine driving the car and parking it in the garage. Hopefully this smell is just coming from the water pump seeping coolant. If not, I may be also be looking at getting the coolant pipes welded, a common issue I'm aware 996tt/997tt/GT2/GT3s suffer from.

Prior PPI also suggested I get the front strut mounts replaced as well, so tech will examine the front struts/mounts to see if they need replacement.

Will keep everyone posted...
Not sure the all aluminum water pump is the right thing to install. If the bearing gets loose the metal impellers can contact the block and wear a groove and then the new pump won't be as efficient.

The stock pump is plenty reliable enough. Mine lasted 120K miles and it just leaked which I attribute to the car's lack of use the first 6 years of its life.

Pretty much the same water pump in my Boxster lasted 170K miles. It got noisy. Wore out. As soon as I heard the noise I identified the probable cause and flat bedded the car to a nearby dealer to have the water pump replaced.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:26 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 347 Posts

I'm surprised you did not experience a noticeable improvement...every time I get in a stock 6TT the first 2 things that really stand-out...clutch and shifter.

Originally Posted by leftlane
I replaced my stock shifter with the regular 997 one - isn't worth it. The reduction in throw is hardly noticeable - if you are going to swap, go for the GT3 or the 997 SSK and make it worth your while.

Quick Reply: Shifter question...