Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whirring noise on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 05:41 PM
ekupa
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your transmission. Sounds like you are taking it in stride. Best of luck getting the car sorted, its a beauty.

I still wish I had fit in your seats better.

Ed
Old 03-04-2016, 05:46 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 593 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by ekupa
Sorry to hear about your transmission. Sounds like you are taking it in stride. Best of luck getting the car sorted, its a beauty.

I still wish I had fit in your seats better.

Ed
Hey Thanks Ed...not much else I can do. Can't say I enjoy being ripped off like that but again, my fault for not covering my bases...and I firmly believe what comes around goes around. Karma can be a B***H (I hope).

Anyhow, yeah, they would have stayed in the car had I fit in them. They went to a good home. Look great in the new owner's air cooled PCar.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Thanks for the update. Too bad about the transmission.

Not much consolation but when my Turbo was in for service tech found a selector shaft leak. At first he was not aware the car was covered by a CPO warranty and was discussing repairing the transmission.

He said the Turbo 6-speed shared some parts with the NA 6-speed and could be rebuilt to address the selector shaft seal leak and anything else found once the transmission was opened up.

He roughly estimated the cost to be between $4K and $6K depending up what was found.

Both senior techs that were at the dealer when I had the car in for this are no longer at the dealer, so I'm not sure where around here one can send his Turbo 6-speed for rebuilding.

There was a tech (Pete) at Rector Porsche in Burlingame that I was very impressed with, at least his engine rebuilding skills, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was also equally skilled in transmission rebuilding.

Just a thought when you are looking for a place to have this work done.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:45 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

Did you end up making a decision on how to resolve the transmission?
I know how many hours you can spend researching the options, unfortunately... This weekend I'll be installing mine that Copans rebuilt; soon I can give you some feedback on the GT2RS mainshaft/gears if you're interested?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Did you end up making a decision on how to resolve the transmission?
I know how many hours you can spend researching the options, unfortunately... This weekend I'll be installing mine that Copans rebuilt; soon I can give you some feedback on the GT2RS mainshaft/gears if you're interested?

Hey what's up bud...yeah, talked to several shops. After talking with the owner, I've decided to go with CMS.

I like his rebuild plan, some of the options he has, his reputation overall...and his proactive customer service/care with my project.

Car is going in the shop in about a week. They'll pull the trans and ship to CMS.

Yes please! Would love your input after you get it in...thank you.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:55 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

Right on, have them put cooler line ports in it if you plan to track it so you're not back into it again too soon.

Glad to hear it sounds like you'll be back up pretty quick.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:36 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh man.... just checked back in on this thread. Sorry to hear about your tranny. Keep us updated.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:22 PM
bugeyemilo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow just read this whole thread.. sorry to hear it MotoJB. good luck with the rebuild and keep us abreast of how it goes!
Old 04-11-2016, 02:34 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Thanks fellas...transmission is at CMS...should be hearing from Roger any time now with his findings. Just looking forward to getting it all past me and back on the road so I can finally enjoy this thing.

Getting a bunch of other things done "while I'm in there", so the bill is going to be fat!

Quick Reply: Whirring noise on acceleration