Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6tt to 7GT2 RS - build odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 04:40 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Love it. In general, I hate body kits and I hate bastardization, but this is using so many Porsche parts and it's being done so very well. I can't wait to see it when it's done!
Old 02-28-2016, 06:18 PM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys.

Scott, I def agree with you (I was traumatized by 935 replicas in the 80s) - tho I am a big proponent of "it's yours, do what makes you happy". I am also def into building replicas of cars too expensive to afford or too expensive to flog (or simply use as they were intended). I do hope that when I am done, even a seasoned Porsche mechanic will say "it could have come from the factory this way" and a seasoned Porsche driver will say "better than the real thing".

We'll see. I will try to document the entire conversion. Body was first because it came that way, suspension will be next and motor/transmission last. It will not be a quick process, though.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:33 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMFr
Thanks guys.

Scott, I def agree with you (I was traumatized by 935 replicas in the 80s) - tho I am a big proponent of "it's yours, do what makes you happy". I am also def into building replicas of cars too expensive to afford or too expensive to flog (or simply use as they were intended). I do hope that when I am done, even a seasoned Porsche mechanic will say "it could have come from the factory this way" and a seasoned Porsche driver will say "better than the real thing".

We'll see. I will try to document the entire conversion. Body was first because it came that way, suspension will be next and motor/transmission last. It will not be a quick process, though.
It'll be fantastic, I'm sure of it. Keep us updated, I tend to stay away from the fray at 6so, so an occasional update to look over there would be great
Old 03-18-2016, 12:54 PM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Lots of pics - so more than one post to come up to date...

Quick interlude: GT2 RS front flares.
The GT2 RS was available with steel fenders and stick on flares or with full carbon fiber fenders that are already flared. My car came with brand new OEM 997 steel fenders and stick on flares. These do not weigh much to start with - and CF fenders cost $7000/pair. So I am going with what I have.

I had also read on forums that you can install RS flares on 997 fenders w/o cutting the fender lip. Yes, you can. But then the flares are purely cosmetic. Here is the difference in pictures.

RS Flare<br/>

The flare from the tire's POV. The fender is the white part and the flare the blackish part. The cut line on the fender is where the primer is chipped. Cutting the fender lip gives 1/2" of additional clearance and the flare another 1/2".

So with the flares, you gain nearly 1" of additional room for larger tires or greater offset for a slightly wider track. Def something I would do if installing the flares. No point otherwise.

Went to my local Porsche dealer to pick up parts. They had a gorgeous line-up of GT cars shortly before Christmas: a 991 GT3 RS, 991 GT3, 997 GT3 RS, 997 GT3, and at the very end of the row...

...a GT2 RS

And this is why I am building one. I could not imagine driving this thing in anger even if I could afford it...

It was good to be able to check details, though. For instance, the cut in the fender has a plastic edge-protector-profile clipped over it under the flare. I do not know if I like this idea: good place to trap moisture. On the other hand, the hard edge will chip paint quickly with rocks and such... Not sure what I will do yet.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:23 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,098 Posts

Thanks for posting. How are the fenders flares attached? Double sided tape? Is there not a fender liner that would protect the cut fender edge from rock chips, etc?
Old 03-18-2016, 02:02 PM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Hi Pwdr,
Yes - 3M double sided tape is used to attach the flares - though there are locating pins as well. The fender liner actually sits just above the cut line in the fender. I still have to disassemble the front end and put it back together properly, so I will take pics then.

One of the next issues I have to deal with is radiator clearance. I was going to ask in this thread, but you beat me to it by starting a dedicated thread. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2016, 08:59 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Steve, are the stick on fender flares metal or plastic? Thx
Old 03-19-2016, 03:06 PM
SteveMFr
Instructor

ABS IIRC. But they are surprisingly thick and heavy (for what they are, anyway). I am quite sure the aftermarket copies are lighter. I don't believe I'd want to pay the P-tax on these anyway. As I've said before: I am very glad all this stuff came with my car. The prices make me queasy.
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. I will lay them on a 996 fender too. I have always been curious to see exactly how much bigger the wheel opening is on a 997.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:21 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SteveMFr
ABS IIRC. But they are surprisingly thick and heavy (for what they are, anyway). I am quite sure the aftermarket copies are lighter. I don't believe I'd want to pay the P-tax on these anyway. As I've said before: I am very glad all this stuff came with my car. The prices make me queasy.
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. I will lay them on a 996 fender too. I have always been curious to see exactly how much bigger the wheel opening is on a 997.
Hey Steve,
Let me know how the flares line up on a 996 fender. I'd be curious of retrofitting these on a 996. If they are ABS then they could be carefully heated an molded to fit a 996 bumper assuming the opening is close in shape (which I think it is). I might order a set of these to play around with. Do you by any change have a part number for the 2RS flares? I didn't see them listed in PET but likely overlooked it. I think they are a different part front he 3RS flares.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:11 PM
SteveMFr
Instructor

I don't actually believe it is a different part than the GT3 RS. The Cup flares are def different. But I have not checked the part #s in the PET.

Not ABS, PUR. I should have realized this as I was writing that they are surprisingly heavy for what they are. I've seen aftermarket copies made of ABS, but I can't remember where and a quick search turned up nothing. The form is considerably off for a 996, though. And for $1200 (link in my last post)... I know I could have a pair custom made of fiberglass to the form and shape I want in that price category.

Front and back with 3M tape and overspray :-p

part #s

On a 996 fender. You'd be cutting away well over 1" measured from the wheel arch to the edge of the attachment flange under the flare at the tallest point.

I'd find someone versed in glass work and have a pair custom made. Maybe Joe Toth wants to take a stab...
Old 03-22-2016, 01:30 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 130 Posts

Great thread! I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 03-22-2016, 01:10 PM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Originally Posted by TomF
Great thread!
Thanks Tom!
Originally Posted by TomF
I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Cheers,
TomF
Me too!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:49 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

PIC-HEAVY POST! Ok - last body shop series. This was right before Christmas. I picked the car up and brought it home in the first week of Jan. Still a bit hectic then too, because my garage (my car barn) does not yet have a slab. So I laid a temporary particle board floor to get me through the winter and the major reassembly-phase.

62t RS in primer

I love that fat *** :-p

New flange for 997 fender

Carrara white going on

Love that ***

Crop of Porsche parts

Did I already say how much I love that ***?

Yep, I am in love! hilarious

Couldn't resist playing a little...

CF trunk lid

New wheels

Old 03-29-2016, 07:43 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

So now that he body guys had more or less finished, it was time to bring the project home.

This was the first week of Jan and I was trying to find a window of time that would coincide with a weather window. Did not work out. The day I went to pick the car up, the weather was unseasonably warm with occasional showers. And, of course, as I was loading the car it was raining. The body guys spent some time the last days the car was there making sure that everything was was covered in wax and all cavities were sealed, but I was still not excited about taking to the road with the car completely open.

But when I pulled out on the street, this happened:

Not quite sure how to interpret this. Considering all the money I've been tossing at it, I could easily see it as being my little pot of gold I'll just take it as a sign that this project is a good thing

It actually stayed dry for the entire drive, though the brand new shiny paint was covered in dirty road spray from the tow vehicle by the time I got home. When I finally had the car in the car-barn, I decided to celebrate with a good brew. So I got a Bud.

The fenders got the worst of the road dirt during the drive. After a gentle clean with some soft towels, the car was covered. Now, when I come home from work and head to the car-barn, I see this. Never fails to cause insta-grin.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:39 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: 6tt to 7GT2 RS - build odyssey