Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current Turbo owners: Finally - they are "sold out"!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 05:58 PM
petert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Current Turbo owners: Finally - they are "sold out"!

Hopefully this is good news for current 996TT owners - My local Porsche dealer just told me they sold the last of their '03 coupes, and they drastically reduced the discounts on those as compared to a month ago. They have 2 more '04s coming in, and both of those are presold to solid buyers.

It may take a month or so to really take hold, as some dealers probably still have inventory, but Turbo prices are bound to go back up. I sure hope so, as I'm selling mine!

Pete
Old 10-01-2003, 07:22 PM
mjc123
Instructor

Don't hold your breath!
Old 10-01-2003, 08:09 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Don't hold your breath!"

true. at best, they'll probably start dropping slower.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:19 PM
JMT
Track Day

Default Don't hold your breath

There are many unsold 03's at dealers all across the country. I just bought one after locating the one that would give me the best deal.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Exoticbro
Track Day

I do believe the Sellers who had to sell their cars have done
so and taken the hit.

Those that have held on might not see prices increase much,
but will firm-up close to where they are now.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

where do you guys see as bottom $ on low mile 02 TT's and X50's?. thanks
Old 10-03-2003, 10:29 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

hard to tell watt - until they stop dropping (the speed of descent hasn't even slowed yet). also, it's not going to help much that the 997 is around the corner. that said, you why not just get it now and enjoy it? just curious, what are you up to? didn't you have the more raw GT2 and GT3? and, weren't you inquiring about a ruf beast? what's with the tt?
Old 10-04-2003, 12:25 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

watt, my own guess is that they will continue to drop, just not as fast. the prices certainly will not go up-there is no shortage of re-sales to cause this. in addition, when the new car comes out, the price will further weaken. i believe that those buyers who bought low mile cars for deep discounts will do pretty well, but they will also see about an $6-8000/yr depreciation for a few years, until they stabilize. just my guess, and that's all it is.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

I'd venture to guess watt is looking for a tt to Ruf'ify since there's relativey few "real" Ruf vehicles around to purchase. I mean if you had an RTurbo would you want to sell it?
Old 10-04-2003, 02:04 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

A prediction:

Watt's going to sell the GT 2, get something else... be dissatisfied, and go go back to the GT2, it's such a special car. The AWD is ultimately a compromise and unresponsive (IMHO)

How do I know this? Been there, done that, and fight the temptation everyday.

Watt, keep the GT2, drop the GT3 engine in the Boxster... by that time the Carrera GT will be out and you can drive the ultimate Porsche.

Lest you think I have all the answers...I'm agonizing over the GT3 at the moment.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:40 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

just how does one agonise over a gt3?

i guess it's better than agonising under one. and why bother? btw, anyone needs to dump one, i'm a check writer at 85.

and ruf-fi-fy is a GOOD verb!!!!!!

"Watt's going to sell the GT 2, get something else... be dissatisfied, and go go back to the GT2, it's such a special car. The AWD is ultimately a compromise and unresponsive (IMHO) "

i always sell something, get dissatsified and buy something else, major character flaw - inability to commit to metal. and for ORR, the 4WD has an advantage. i just wish there was a 4WD GT2, the GT4....
Old 10-04-2003, 01:40 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Colm
I'm agonizing over the GT3 at the moment.
Stop torturing yourself and go out and buy one while you can...The car is simply awesome!!!
Old 10-05-2003, 07:47 AM
noony
Racer

He already did....then sold it!
Old 10-05-2003, 10:04 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Watt- just curious about what the ideal open road race car would be. Wouldn't one be better off with something like a Winston Cup car that has been smoothed to perfection for 200mph. Add in the roof flaps, cage, and tires with inner liners, and it seems like things get more predictable. I didn't think that open raod checked engine displacement, so ther'd be no problem sticking in a larger displacement.
Alternatively, if you were building a car, wouldn't it have tunnels and wings?
Seems like there are a lot of chassis out there that could be made to work.
By the way, I've got a "53" Stude that Jon Ward built on a tube frame chassis. That car is stable over 150, but haven't been up over that yet, AS
Old 10-05-2003, 10:58 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Rockitman - GT3 is a great car and I love mine, but it wouldnt be good for Watt's uses in Open road, but he already knows that. And relative to other american sports cars, there are not that many TT's out there. With that in mind, the car will have to stabalize at some level. My guess is once clean cars hit the high 60's to low 70's mark, they will not go down that much from there. The car becomes a great value performer at that point vs many of the competitors near that price range. The only way it would go up from there at all would be if Porsche doesnt produce one for sale in the US for another several years. I dont know what the plans are for the next TT, but I doubt it will be as long as the 996TT wait was after the 993TT ended based on the way they are ramming these high end cars down our US throats. You want a fast Porsche that will hold value? Go out and find a 993TT - last of the ultimate air cooled 911's and another great performer. Buy that car right and you wont lose much, if anything over the next few years.. Much better turbo investment in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Current Turbo owners: Finally - they are "sold out"!