DV Upgrade Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 12:09 AM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DV Upgrade Reccomendations

Hello all,

Recently purchased a 01 996TT (loving it) installed a K&N Filter and bought a Cobb Accessport V3. I'm saving my extra modding money for a SpeedTech X-Pipe, but wondering on people's thoughts on replacing the stock Bosch diverter valves.

Is it worth replacing them if the stock ones aren't honking? Before the Cobb stage 1 93 tune I was able to get .7 - .8 Bar peaks and now getting 1 - 1.1 under WOT.

In people's experience will replacing the DV help maintain that boost level longer, or possibly give a higher boost level before I upgrade the exhaust?

Any experience with the Agency Power DV's?
Old 12-29-2015, 12:12 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Wight
Is it worth replacing them if the stock ones aren't honking?
Not in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:38 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 351 Posts

I'd stay stock or 710N if you aren't running big boost/having reliability issues.
My '2 came with EVOMS DV's and they have been good as well, but if it was money money/purchase, I probably wouldn't purchase them for my application...
Old 12-29-2015, 06:09 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

my car has also been running evoms dv's for well over ten years absent issue. thats the thing about "many" aftermarket dv's is their capacity to outlast oems. but if you dont go with evoms or agency power or baileys or whatever? and replace with oem? get the 710n. they are sturdier also than the original 710a bosch.

would really like to read a review of the accessport! a cobb tune is on my to do list but the v3 may be a bit too rich for my blood or "needs". congrats, i bet THAT woke her up!
Old 12-29-2015, 08:50 AM
mxracer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello all,

Recently purchased a 01 996TT (loving it) installed a K&N Filter and bought a Cobb Accessport V3. I'm saving my extra modding money for a SpeedTech X-Pipe, but wondering on people's thoughts on replacing the stock Bosch diverter valves.

Is it worth replacing them if the stock ones aren't honking? Before the Cobb stage 1 93 tune I was able to get .7 - .8 Bar peaks and now getting 1 - 1.1 under WOT.

In people's experience will replacing the DV help maintain that boost level longer, or possibly give a higher boost level before I upgrade the exhaust?

Any experience with the Agency Power DV's?

Hey... we are neighbors... almost I'm just up 85 a little north of Gastonia, NC.

Just My .02 but I wouldn't spend the money on new DV's if they are not giving you issues. I'd spend it on plugs, coil packs, ICs etc., again if they are not bad.

BTW I also have a Cobb now (switched from another tune) and the SpeedTech 3" Competition X-Pipe. If you are interested in hearing it "live" before you buy PM me and we can get together.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

no keep OEM
Old 12-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

Thanks all for the feedback. I think I'll hold off then on the DV's and keep saving for the X-Pipe, although I just took it to the shop with a leaking tranny at ~ $1500 it might be a bit longer...

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
my car has also been running evoms dv's for well over ten years absent issue. thats the thing about "many" aftermarket dv's is their capacity to outlast oems. but if you dont go with evoms or agency power or baileys or whatever? and replace with oem? get the 710n. they are sturdier also than the original 710a bosch.

would really like to read a review of the accessport! a cobb tune is on my to do list but the v3 may be a bit too rich for my blood or "needs". congrats, i bet THAT woke her up!
I can definitely do a little write up, though I didn't have it very long without it so I'm probably not the best reviewer, though I did notice an immediate increase in low to mid end torque. Once I get it back from the shop I can de-flash it and do a better comparison.

Originally Posted by mxracer
Hey... we are neighbors... almost I'm just up 85 a little north of Gastonia, NC.

Just My .02 but I wouldn't spend the money on new DV's if they are not giving you issues. I'd spend it on plugs, coil packs, ICs etc., again if they are not bad.

BTW I also have a Cobb now (switched from another tune) and the SpeedTech 3" Competition X-Pipe. If you are interested in hearing it "live" before you buy PM me and we can get together.
Awesome @mxracer! I'd love that. Videos are great, but it's always hard to tell the volume without being in person. I'll shoot you a DM once I get it back from the shop and set up a day to shoot up there. I work remotely so I could work from a coffee shop for the day up there.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:32 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Thanks all for the feedback. I think I'll hold off then on the DV's and keep saving for the X-Pipe, although I just took it to the shop with a leaking tranny at ~ $1500 it might be a bit longer...

I can definitely do a little write up, though I didn't have it very long without it so I'm probably not the best reviewer, though I did notice an immediate increase in low to mid end torque. Once I get it back from the shop I can de-flash it and do a better comparison.

Awesome @mxracer! I'd love that. Videos are great, but it's always hard to tell the volume without being in person. I'll shoot you a DM once I get it back from the shop and set up a day to shoot up there. I work remotely so I could work from a coffee shop for the day up there.
"trany leak" might just be the rms how bad is "it"? and where does it emanate from? either way they have to drop/lower the trans to get at the rms but porsche has a "1/2/3 severity chart for it, in terms of severity of leakage. pray its just a bad rms!

but ( possibly wrong thread?? sorry ( as usual! ) but PLEASE post up your take on the v3 once you've gotten to "know it" as many of us see it and drool lol.

btw.. if i didn't get a chance prior to this to say "welcome"? i have now! i notice you're relatively new and have posted cool stuff already! so cheers.

..and PLS post about the cobb v3! when its "time"! TIA!
Old 12-29-2015, 04:36 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Just for the record, so to speak, the reason folks replaced their DV's originally was the POSSIBLE deterioration (or rupture) of the rubber components inside the DV. It was thought (or maybe still is), that if rubber diaphragm ruptures, the failing pieces could wind up where you don't want them and cause potentially lots more damage. It was never a performance upgrade, just a preventive maintenance "fix".
Old 12-29-2015, 04:58 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

^ that interesting to learn! well. the evoms ( seem to be? ) are virtually indestructible!..

now watch! LOL
Old 12-29-2015, 05:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Porsche replaced my DV's (with Bailey's, under warranty) because they were "honking". I believe the honking was caused by a tear in the rubber. My recollection of way back when was that people replaced their DV's s because of tears in the rubber and the honking that caused, and not because DV pieces were breaking loose, or might break loose (although pieces may well have broken off. I just don't remember hearing about it).
Old 12-29-2015, 06:14 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Please tell me you knocked on wood after this post, lol

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
^ that interesting to learn! well. the evoms ( seem to be? ) are virtually indestructible!..

now watch! LOL
Old 12-29-2015, 06:23 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by gophaster
Please tell me you knocked on wood after this post, lol
of course!

you missed the "NOW watch"?!

ps i had honking on my x50 car, it was absurd. geese followed
Old 12-29-2015, 06:33 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Get rid of that K&N the oil will foul your MAF sensor ad cost you! The stock airfilter is pretty free flowing, or if you must upgrade use a dry performance filter! Its only a matter of time till that MAF goes out on you!

My stock dvs went bad replaced them with champion dvs. I would not replace till they go bad.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:49 PM
John Gag
Advanced

If the honking starts would you go with stock replacement or get the aftermarket?

Quick Reply: DV Upgrade Reccomendations