Sponsored by:

Tires, tires, tires...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 12:28 AM
Iloveheat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires, tires, tires...

I receive a call from the Porsche dealer that I have to bring my car in because there is a minor issue with the "computer", a little recall, and it will be a matter of an hour. Have anybody had this issue? Beside, I am told that the Yokohama AVS Sport that I am using are out of spec: they are not Z rated, and the only ones I should use are the Michelin or the Pirelli: I dislike both of them. Then also they tell me that there is a "N1", "N2", ... that are codes that mean that that part has been approved by Porsche, and that Yokohama does't have this "seal". Is that real? What is the best tire I can use? I trust the word of my tire dealer and he says that, driving aggressively like I do, Michelins would not handle at all as much as the Yokos do. What are your experiences in the matter?
Thank you
Paul
Old 10-02-2003, 01:08 PM
kurtv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

I think that the Porsche certified tires are an interesting idea but the high end tires from the established suppliers like Yokohama, Pirelli, Michelin, Continental and Bridgestone will do very well.

I have Michelin Pilot Sports on my 993 tt, but have also had Bridgestone S-02s and used them for some DE events. I was also interested in the Yokohama AVS tires as you mentioned but my local dealer (Discount Tire) recommended the Michelin.

One thing that I like about Michelin through Discount Tire is that they have great pre and post sales support. The regional representative has taken care to make sure to get me the "N" series of the tires if I wanted them. Michelin seems to take special care of high profile customers, particularly Porsches.

Quick Reply: Tires, tires, tires...