Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTN:Stephen or Todd (or any GIAC tuner)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 11:58 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN:Stephen or Todd (or any GIAC tuner)

I don't want this to turn into the battle of the tuners BUT I am very confused with all this recent data...
I was just reading BCS996TT's post about his dyno run with upsolute...and am kinda confused why his car is making about the same HP and Torque for over $2500 less then my stage 2 from GIAC?? I am not saying this because I am upset, I am very happy with my kit, just kinda dumbfounded that my kit's performance can be had for $500...
I am sure there is somthing I am missing here, which is why I am posting this, please do not take offense as this is NOT my goal, just looking for a little info.
Thank you,
Evan K.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:24 AM
dkc-gt2
AutoX

EVAN....

C U S T O M E R S E R V I C E.

Todd or Stephen would be a part of the growth of your car. Together you feel the pains and enjoyment. You will not find that from Upsolute. I am happy with my Upsolute. I have said that over and over. But to a car I am going to keep (TT Cab) I want this to be done by Stephen. As my needs grow I know that he will be there for me and help me with my questions at any time. If your car is that important to you go with the pro's who have been in all of our shoes. They have built every variable set up.

Just my two cents.

Doug
Old 09-27-2003, 12:35 AM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by dkc-gt2
EVAN....

Todd or Stephen would be a part of the growth of your car. Together you feel the pains and enjoyment. You will not find that from Upsolute. I am happy with my Upsolute. I have said that over and over. But to a car I am going to keep (TT Cab) I want this to be done by Stephen. As my needs grow I know that he will be there for me and help me with my questions at any time. If your car is that important to you go with the pro's who have been in all of our shoes. They have built every variable set up.

Just my two cents.

Doug
I couldn't agree more about Stephen (never had experience with Todd tho I am sure it is the same) and his customer service. Everytime I have a question or problem he is willing to help at any hour of the day or night. He gave me his cell # to reach him if he is not at the shop and I need somthing. I mean I couldn't ask for better customer service. An extra $2500 though... there has to be more to it... Customer service is important, but $2500 worth?? I guess if somthing happens that $2500 could be spend on repair very quick, but still....I just think I am missing somthing. Who knows I am tired
Evan
Old 09-27-2003, 06:36 AM
cobra06
Pro

Originally posted by dkc-gt2
EVAN....

Just my two cents.

Doug
I have had great customer service from Upsolute. Having done various modifications and changes to the car, they have reprogrammed (5-6 times), often at no charge to optimize the mods. The head guy for N.A. is always there on the phone or quick to reply with email. They also have a forum to place questions or problems.

I've been playing with Porsche's since 82. I've always dropped in chips or reprogrammed when I could. Of the 13 Porsche's that I've owned, I've never paid more then $500 for programing, then the 996 came a long and up went the prices.

That said, you can't beat Stephen for his knowledge and the intricacies of the system. If you want more then just programming, and aren't comfortable with the hardware side of cars. Then Stephen is going to give you a complete package and help along the way.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:41 AM
BCS996TT
Instructor

I agree completely with both David and Chad on this one.

I have recieved great customer service from Upsolute and my questions were always answered promptly. I was a bit skeptical about the Upsolute price, but the dyno results puts all my anxiety aside. Im very happy with the service that I've recieved, let alone the power!

As I said before, the purpose of my post was simply to let forum members know the results of my dyno. I know there was concern from some upsolute owners, etc. that the power gains were optimistic, so I decided to get the dyno done...for my own benefit as well as others who already have it or are considering it. If the results were crappy, I would have posted it as well... and Im sure I would have received a lot of "I TOLD YOU SO" BS. However, the opposite was the case. Im sure I'll still get those skeptics that want to argue about conversion factors, mis-calibrated dyno, etc., but frankly, I dont care. Im not here to bash any tuner...just to express my results...nothing more nothing less.

My initial concern wasnt really the power, but more so the A/F numbers. I knew the GIAC ecus were running nice and rich in the 12.3 area with strong power numbers, so I was just curious what I would acheive with the upsolute. Not only were the power numbers great, but also the AF numbers... 11.8-12.3 at WOT. In addition the dyno graph looks great!

I have always modified my own cars and have tried to do everything myself. I was one of the first few E36 M3 owners to have a DINAN ECU mod...and at that time it was very expensive and didnt yield that much power. There was very little competition back then...but now, there a tons of tuning companies out there that offer quality ecu upgrades with more power for significantly less. That's just the nature of the beast and what competition can do.

As David mentioned, for those that want a complete package, Stephen's knowledge about our cars is very impressive and Im sure the quality of his work is First Class. I myself have gone to him on numerous occassions for advice, etc. and he has always provided me with indepth explanations and answers.

With that said, go with what works for you and dont look back!
Old 09-27-2003, 11:56 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

I think David has some great "word of mouth" instead of marketing
Old 09-27-2003, 12:19 PM
BCS996TT
Instructor

David...

what happened to your site...get that up and running. Have shank redesign it for you and you might be able to quit your day job!
Old 09-27-2003, 05:32 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Evan,

"Customer Service " is a very subjective topic.
As for myself, I don't mind paying more for it...just as long as they are there to support you when the needs arise.

Last edited by 0396; 09-27-2003 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:06 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys, sorry I am late to the thread. I am head deep into a motor and just returned home. Evan there are some specific differences in the program. Not everything has to do with max power and WOT Afrs. David is a prime example of what persistence and work can get you and he has been rewarded for it as well as helped others with the chip. Chad too has shown us there are others that can get a job done. GIAC has had these programs established for some time. So there still is a bit of learning curve even though it would appear there isn't by other tuners. Even as early as three weeks ago all of our programs were updated again in constant search of the best power and drivability under the curve. There are so many issues that are involved with ECU tuning and installing. I personally am pleased at the results being posted.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:26 PM
cobra06
Pro

Marketing is key, but since I'm not doing it for a living....
I got into experimenting because I really wasn't happy with what was out there, either too loud, resonant or poor performers. We started making them for some friends and board members and it sort of took off. I really enjoy doing it, and helping some of you guys out with a reasonably priced performance exhaust is also great perk.
Thanks Guys

Performance Project
Old 09-27-2003, 06:31 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

david, you done anything for NA 996 exhausts?
Old 09-27-2003, 06:40 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

They do work!!! I can prove that
Old 09-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

I have an upsolute and I am happy with it. Now that BCS has had his dynoed - perhaps I will head over to my local dyno and see if they can confirm his results, thus putting the "Upsolute is Crap" issue to bed forever.

That being said, I have heard that one of the reasons RUF, FVD, GIAC, etc... cost so much money is because they will cover the replacement cost of parts & engines that were blown by too much boost or lean A/F ratios. Here's my problem with that argument - how often, if ever, has a fatal engine problem been the direct fault of ECU programming? I guess never. Also, how would one prove that the ECU caused the problem?

BTW, I also have David's performance project exhaust and I love it.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:03 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

The ECUs can be damaged by doing the programming when removing the chip. More common then you can imagine. Some of the things I have seen are terrible and require a new ECU. It isn't difficult to prove this. If we do that then we replace it, No questions asked. As far as the motors, it ins't mainstream, but they are out there. Not sure anyone said the Upsolute was crap, at least I didn't see it.

Quick Reply: ATTN:Stephen or Todd (or any GIAC tuner)