Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes exhaust drone

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:46 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love exhaust videos where people film a pull from the front and then let off when the car passes the camera
Lol herp derp.

Make your own helmholtz chamber. Doesn't matter where it is..comes down to packaging it.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by breakfast
I love exhaust videos where people film a pull from the front and then let off when the car passes the camera
Lol herp derp.
I'm with you on that.

It seems the majority of videos attempt to illustrate how the car sounds either via a microphone attached right next to the exhaust, or via a microphone beside the road as the car drives by.

When I was shopping for an exhaust I was interested in how it would sound inside the car, not how it would sound to people outside the car.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:36 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I'm with you on that. It seems the majority of videos attempt to illustrate how the car sounds either via a microphone attached right next to the exhaust, or via a microphone beside the road as the car drives by. When I was shopping for an exhaust I was interested in how it would sound inside the car, not how it would sound to people outside the car.
Did you decide on one Dock?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Did you decide on one Dock?
Yep. I've had the Europipe Stage 2 Loud since May 2004.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:15 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Yep. I've had the Europipe Stage 2 Loud since May 2004.
That is still one of my favorites. Nice choice!
Old 12-15-2015, 07:20 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
996tnz, what type of dynamat did you use? From looking at their web site i would assume it was the dynamat extreme. I am going to give this a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.
As long as it is sticky, heavy and flexible it should work but I just used the standard Dynamat product. Something like $40 or so IIRC.

Yes, do the firewall and parcel shelf - both behind the rear seats. Just unscrew and remove the seats, pop out the Bose speaker grilles, remove the two allen bolts holding the Bose in place, slide it forwards gently and unclip the electrical connector (the only fiddly bit as it has a little retaining lug but it is pretty solid so little chance of breakage). There may be a couple more simple brackets to remove IIRC then just pull all the foam-backed carpet trim sheets out and get to work. Those are all just pressure fit, with the parcel shelf one wedged in fairly tightly so I think I just pushed it up and worked underneath it.

If you track or canyon your car you'll want to minimise the weight you add, hence the tip to concentrate the most layers towards the middle of those big panels. I stacked them concentrically like a contoured hill covering about a quarter of the surface area then put a single layer over the top to tidy it and provide a little extra damping. Figured there was no point adding more weight by putting lots of layers all over everything as it doesn't primarily isolate or absorb sound. As I said, with you being an engineer I'm sure you know it already, but in case this doesn't make sense to anyone, it basically works in the same way as sticking a pound of softish butter to the middle of a drum skin, damping vibrations and lowering their frequency down to where they no longer resonate in an irritating way.

Just reverse the access procedure to put it back together, but its like Lego really so will be dead obvious.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:00 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

you guys that talk about the way in which someone makes a fkn video of the sound of their exhaust as if they were some kind of an autuer, rather than just someone making an impromptu video with probably a handheld phone or something are ridiculous and pompous a**es.

"i hate the way they hold the microphone" etc etc. its laughable. you guys should try using the sphincter phone, it's a handheld mic and will capture the most mellifluous tones ever. LOL

hilarious. it's a sound clip of an exhaust. not a film noir event. LOL. incredible.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:18 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That reminds me - must finish auditioning directors for my next run through the tunnel

More seriously, I guess they're just checking out those exhaust vids in the hope of confirming that the $2 to $6K they're sending off for one may have something like the desired effect. But of course that's not usually what those making the vids were aiming towards really.

Maybe for some here it's like going to a wine tasting only to find that all the bottles were opened the week before?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:48 AM
breakfast
Pro

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
you guys that talk about the way in which someone makes a fkn video of the sound of their exhaust as if they were some kind of an autuer, rather than just someone making an impromptu video with probably a handheld phone or something are ridiculous and pompous a**es.

"i hate the way they hold the microphone" etc etc. its laughable. you guys should try using the sphincter phone, it's a handheld mic and will capture the most mellifluous tones ever. LOL

hilarious. it's a sound clip of an exhaust. not a film noir event. LOL. incredible.
do it right then . at least get a shot of it under load driving by. Filming it coming towards the camera is fine if the person driving keeps accelerating by. But it seems so many are off the throttle before that point, so you get no clue to what it sounds like under load.

its the same as dolts who make an intake video, of the car stationary revving.
bruh, intakes need load. get moving.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:26 AM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

In my experience the way unobtainium does it is right. I do not believe their resonator (tubes) are packed. Different tube length cancels different frequencies. It is a bit of trial and error on each model car. I built some a long time ago for an old mitsi. I would say (and will be doing) buy an unobtainium exhaust and be done with it. They seem to have a drone-less exhaust for our cars nailed.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:26 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

do it right then . at least get a shot of it under load driving by. Filming it coming towards the camera is fine if the person driving keeps accelerating by. But it seems so many are off the throttle before that point, so you get no clue to what it sounds like under load.

its the same as dolts who make an intake video, of the car stationary revving.
bruh, intakes need load. get moving.
btw, my usual pre-dawn vitriol wasn't directed at you, i'd like to be clear on that. i am a fan of the majority of your musings. the other guy, not so much, as i find his holier than thou pontification and self aggrandizement and sanctimonious high minded blather largely nauseating. having said that, it just seemed ridiculous to even criticize how some normal average guy presumably equipped with nothing more than a cell phone/gopro kinda deal, that they should somehow be "directing" their "exhaust sound" vids that they share out of a combination ( presumably ) of pride, enjoyment, and sharing for the pure edification of other like minded users.

as for me? by way of example, i just listened to jamess88 here for whom i have a fondness and respect for as a person, even if he, like myself, is possibly not the most technically knowledgeable person habitating the forums, but he speaks in ways that i readily understand. as do you. then i spoke with the US distribber who is my friend, and i was "sold", but a pre purchase vid of ANY kind would've been helpful perhaps, but i sure wouldn't criticize someone for WHERE OR HOW, THEY HELD THE DAMN PHONE!?! i mean c'mon.. LOL

so at the risk of repeating myself? i just think that criticizing someones ( ANYones "exhaust sound clip methodology" is about as pompous as can be, but then i DID consider the source, and it was not you. so forgive me if i offended you with my usual harsh and somewhat ascerbic tone. i may drone, but my kline doesn't HAH
Old 12-16-2015, 10:31 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

do it right then . at least get a shot of it under load driving by. Filming it coming towards the camera is fine if the person driving keeps accelerating by.
PS: you mean maybe something like this?

lol
Old 02-12-2016, 01:25 AM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Off topic OP I know that exhaust came with your car but I'm very intrigued. I haven't found decent exhaust I'm willing to spend money on quite yet and that setup has a lot of potential.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Default Thread necromancy

So I went and got a cheap exhaust system - Manzo CBS-PC09T. It brought me to this thread about drone...

I like the idea of installing a Helmholtz resonator pipe on each side, if there's space. I'm going to be checking with my local muffler shop. The trick is getting the length of the pipe right to match the resonant frequency. I contacted the guy at Unobtainium, and not surprisingly, he didn't want to give me the dimensions of the resonator pipe. The name of his company is "unobtainium", after all.

So I figure I can either do a trial-and-error system, starting with some math to figure out the wavelength @ the resonant frequency and work from 1/2 that or whatever (since I think 120Hz is something like 1.5 meters ??) ... OR... get some free labor in the form of Automotive Engineering students wanting a summer project...
Old 04-13-2017, 11:59 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I have an Unobtainium 3" flow through exhaust with helmholz resonators and can unequivocally say there is zero drone. None. Zilch. Really amazing. My RUF exhaust had some and even a stock exhaust has a trace around the 2500 range.. I've tried a speed tech 2.5 and a Europipe loud both of which droned to my ears which are particularly sensitive. The EP loud on a K24 car was bad. Out of all the traditional aftermarket exhausts I tried, an inconel 70mm Kline had virtually no drone but was very quiet as a byproduct. That was a great exhaust but muted. If you can get the length and diameter of the helmholz pipes just right, say goodbuy to drone even on a loud 3" flow through exhaust. Its simple proven science that can not be disputed. All other methods simply attempt to mask drone which provides poor results at best.

Last edited by powdrhound; 04-13-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply: What causes exhaust drone