Old 11-10-2015, 02:35 AM
Orphan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche wises up on 'manual' shifting of PDK automatic gearbox

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/str...icle-1.2428386

Porsche wises up on 'manual' shifting of PDK automatic gearbox
BY JENS MEINERS NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Monday, November 9, 2015, 2:55 PM A A A
Porsche introduced the Tiptronic function on their automatic transmission more than two decades ago.
PORSCHE
Porsche introduced the Tiptronic function on their automatic transmission more than two decades ago.
When sequential gearboxes were invented, God intended upshifts to be triggered by a pull backwards and downshifts by a push forward on the lever.

Why?

Because you upshift while accelerating, when you’re pinned into your seat, pulling the lever towards you is a natural motion. Conversely, you have to downshift when you shed speed. Under braking, your body shifts forward, and the logical movement is to push your hand forward.

With the new 911 GT3, the irksome shifting pattern finally met its match. When developing this wild derivative designed for track racing - in which a dual-clutch automatic is mandatory - it must have dawned upon Porsche that they couldn't seriously stick to the bad habit.
PORSCHE
With the new 911 GT3, the irksome shifting pattern finally met its match. When developing this wild derivative designed for track racing - in which a dual-clutch automatic is mandatory - it must have dawned upon Porsche that they couldn't seriously stick to the bad habit.
That's how sequential gearboxes were built for racing purposes, and that's how racers are conditioned. Imagine their dismay (and ours) when - of all carmakers - Porsche introduced the Tiptronic function on their automatic transmission more than two decades ago.

It was praiseworthy to allow manual intervention into the slushbox's algorithms, but Porsche threw out the rulebook regarding lesson learned in racing. For whatever reason, they forced you to you push the gear selector away from you - "forward" - to upshift, and towards you - "backwards" - to downshift.

Porsche steadfastly refused to correct its wrong ways. The topic was slightly defused when steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters started to arrive - but for purists who like to use the console-mounted shifter, the annoyance persisted.
PORSCHE
Porsche steadfastly refused to correct its wrong ways. The topic was slightly defused when steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters started to arrive - but for purists who like to use the console-mounted shifter, the annoyance persisted.
Drivers that wouldn't know what to do with a manual gearbox didn't object – after all, most probably left the transmission in full automatic model anyhow. On the other hand, many driving enthusiasts reacted with rolled eyes, or complete disgust.

Worse still, Porsche's unfortunate layout was copied by other carmakers, including VW, Audi, Lexus, and many more. But it never quite became the universally accepted standard: Benz's short-lived "Sequentronic" box sported the correct layout, as did BMW's automatic gearboxes.

Porsche threw out the rulebook regarding lesson learned in racing. For whatever reason, they forced you to you push the gear selector away from you - "forward" - to upshift, and towards you - "backwards" - to downshift.
PORSCHE
Porsche threw out the rulebook regarding lesson learned in racing. For whatever reason, they forced you to you push the gear selector away from you - "forward" - to upshift, and towards you - "backwards" - to downshift.
Meanwhile, Porsche steadfastly refused to correct its wrong ways. The topic was slightly defused when steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters started to arrive - but for purists who like to use the console-mounted shifter, the annoyance persisted.

Or at least it did, until now. With the new 911 GT3, the irksome shifting pattern finally met its match. When developing this wild derivative designed for track racing - in which a dual-clutch automatic is mandatory - it must have dawned upon Porsche that they couldn't seriously stick to the bad habit.

Porsche's unfortunate layout was copied by other carmakers, including VW, Audi, Lexus, and many more. But it never quite became the universally accepted standard: Benz's short-lived "Sequentronic" box sported the correct layout, as did BMW's automatic gearboxes.
PORSCHE
Porsche's unfortunate layout was copied by other carmakers, including VW, Audi, Lexus, and many more. But it never quite became the universally accepted standard: Benz's short-lived "Sequentronic" box sported the correct layout, as did BMW's automatic gearboxes.
Imagine our delight when we noticed the ultra-quick, Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe transmission (say that three times fast!) in the GT3 RS has thrown out the poorly aged Tiptronic shift logic.

What's more, we can reveal that the company will transfer the new shifting pattern across its entire lineup. Next up will be the turbocharged, entry-level 911 Carrera and Carrera S models, followed by other 911s and the Boxster/Cayman siblings. There is no word yet on the Cayenne and Panamera, but we doubt that Porsche will keep a discrepancy in the portfolio for long.

Next up will be the turbocharged, entry-level 911 Carrera and Carrera S models, followed by other 911s and the Boxster/Cayman siblings. There is no word yet on the Cayenne and Panamera, but we doubt that Porsche will keep a discrepancy in the portfolio for long.
PORSCHE
Next up will be the turbocharged, entry-level 911 Carrera and Carrera S models, followed by other 911s and the Boxster/Cayman siblings. There is no word yet on the Cayenne and Panamera, but we doubt that Porsche will keep a discrepancy in the portfolio for long.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

In terms of the console PDK shifter, pushing it forward to upshift is not an issue with me; I rarely use the console shifter, but when I do there are no longitudinal acceleration rates that have ever prevented me from moving the shifter forward.

And I have never had a problem relating "push forward" to the concept of "go faster", as every time I want to go faster in a car I always "push forward" on the accelerator. I also don't have a problem relating "go slower" to "pull back", as every time I want to go slower in a car I "pull my right foot back" from the throttle pedal.

Additionally, the article's idea that you might have a hard time moving your hand forward during acceleration, or pulling it back under deceleration, flies in the face of logic since drivers (including the revered race drivers) have no problem pushing their right foot forward under acceleration and pulling it back under deceleration.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:02 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought it sounded a little out there myself. Haven't owned a auto in a while but my Audi seemed to work fine with no issues as I remember it
Old 11-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmc1148
...my Audi seemed to work fine with no issues as I remember it
That Audi is a "forward to up shift" design?
Old 11-10-2015, 11:15 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

You would put it in a side position and bump but honestly do not remember as that was a 2001 that I rarely drove. I still do not see how it would matter what direction I was pushing? I do not buy autos as a rule and let my girl friend at the time have it.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I've never ridden a horse where I "pulled back" on the reins to "go faster".

I've never driven a boat or flown an airplane where I didn't "push forward" on the throttle(s) to accelerate ("go faster") using the motor(s).
Old 11-10-2015, 11:37 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

I believe the car also had the shift buttons on the steering wheel. Yes even my Kubota mower is forward for engine speed and same for thumb controls on my atvs..
Old 11-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Always pull, up on right and down on left. Everything else is just bad.

Last edited by Fishey; 11-10-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fishey
Always pull up on right...
To do what?

P.S. When working in the horizontal, "pulling" is "back", not "up".
Old 11-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Comma now included. Stupid phone
Old 11-10-2015, 01:43 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

agree with most. forward for "up" and back for "down" is intuitive.

my vw paddlle shifter(s) are left for "up" and right" for down, but both back or toward the driver, while the gearshift itself is forward for upshifting and back for downshifting. same as the Porsche scenario. I see nothing "wrong" in this setup. again, it's intuitive. while pushing a shifter forward for a downshift is counter-intuitive, to me.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:58 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I honestly don't mind the tiptronic gear shifter, it's always seemed intuitive to me but always have hated the wheel buttons. Prefer the flappy paddles instead L click to downshift R to upshift but doesn't Porsche also allow both from each paddle.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:15 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All racing sequential shifters are setup to up shift pull back and down shift push forward. That is what the article is getting at. It makes more sense to me than the backwards way Porsche has done until now. I typically use the paddle shifters on the GT3, but going to our Cayenne GTS, even the buttons are backwards. Our mini has it right like the GT3. I think once you go between the two, you'll see that it is clearly better the way sequential shifters are setup.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
All racing sequential shifters are setup to up shift pull back and down shift push forward. That is what the article is getting at.
I realize that is what the article is getting at, I just flat disagree with the new set up.

As I mentioned above, "forward" is traditionally "faster"; boats, horses, airplanes. Even Navy flight training teaches "forward" for more airspeed (although they teach "forward with the stick/yoke" for more airspeed, while the Air Force teaches throttle "forward" for more airspeed. BTW, both services have been operating fast machinery for a very long time). Pushing one or more throttles (boats, airplanes, cars via the accelerator) forward makes these vehicles go faster, and pulling the throttle(s) back generally makes the vehicles go slower. Higher gears usually mean the car can go "faster", so "forward" (like what you do with the throttle) to select higher gears (think "go faster") makes perfect sense. Finally, for those more mentally challenged who need a word relationship reminder, both "Faster" and "Forward" start with "F" while both "Brake" and "Back" start with "B".

IMO Porsche had it right to begin with (I would not have changed it), but if they have decided to go to the trouble to change it then so be it.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:59 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

the last bmw I had, the paddles were either or up or downshift from each paddle iirc(?!). that's better than the left for - and the right for +. that caused me to accidentally downshift when I wanted a higher gear too many times. the bmw setup is much better, whereby either paddle can up or downshift.

interesting for me that what I find intuitive, others here are saying the Porsche got "backwards". that's curious.

Quick Reply: Porsche wises up on 'manual' shifting of PDK automatic gearbox