Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yamaha vs Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 08:31 PM
LSM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a matter of fact, I don't even see how a Turbo, GT2 or any car will even keep up with the stock 600 bikes. The Z6, CBR, and GXSR600 should easily out-accelerate, out-brake, out handle any car. Just my thoughts. Maybe top speed would eventially be won out by the turbo, but, I have to think the bike would be so far ahead by then it wouldn't matter much.

-lou
Old 09-30-2003, 11:35 PM
rmrmd1956
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I never claimed it was a 'superbike'. It's no slug though -- posted 1/4 mile in 10.68 @ 126.28. Has 145bhp and 637lbs. See http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/article...ation03033.pdf
I agreed to a comparison and was surprised to pull away by quite a few car lengths. Given the temp of 90 deg and fatso weight of over 3900lbs I thought I did quite well. I did not do nearly as well from 15mph! I may try against his R1 when the temp drops and I have no onboard videographer.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:57 PM
rmrmd1956
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, doesn't seem slower than the 600cc superbikes. See http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/article...ndex2003-2.pdf
Old 10-01-2003, 01:14 AM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by rmrmd1956
Also, doesn't seem slower than the 600cc superbikes. See http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/article...ndex2003-2.pdf

Could be, but, just checked sportrider.com. The 600's do 1/4 mile in 10.75. The liter bikes are under 10 sec. Lat I checked, the turbo was 12.3 and x50 was 11.9, not really close to the numbers posted by either 600 or 1000 bikes. Top speed, it looks as though you would have them licked, but, I can only assume by the numbers that they would be quite a bit ahead by then. Anyway, I guess that's not the point, cool video, take care.

-Lou
Old 10-01-2003, 05:14 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a thread from the 928 list from where a supercharged 928 raced an R1.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=86410
Old 10-01-2003, 06:08 AM
Fozzy
Instructor

From experience, having run both GT2 and Aprilia over the same couple of circuits, as well as regularly using both on some very fast open roads, the comparison will always entirely depend on the degree of cornering required on the relevant track / route (to paraphrase the obvious). On a normal racing circuit, there is going to be very, very little in it - the incredibly short braking distance and subsequent acceleration of the bike is countered by the fact that you simply can't carry any corner in excess of 45 degrees even close to the speed that you can take them in the GT2 without ending on your **** in the gravel and a big bodyshop bill. Chipped Mille runs 0-60 in about 2.8 secs and 1/4 mile in around 9.5 so it will always pull any decent length straight until you top out. On non-motorway cross-country roads in the UK the bike wins hands down, simply because you're never really running in excess of 140 mph unless its 4am and the roads are completely empty
Old 10-01-2003, 10:10 PM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by Fozzy
From experience, having run both GT2 and Aprilia over the same couple of circuits, as well as regularly using both on some very fast open roads, the comparison will always entirely depend on the degree of cornering required on the relevant track / route (to paraphrase the obvious). On a normal racing circuit, there is going to be very, very little in it - the incredibly short braking distance and subsequent acceleration of the bike is countered by the fact that you simply can't carry any corner in excess of 45 degrees even close to the speed that you can take them in the GT2 without ending on your **** in the gravel and a big bodyshop bill. Chipped Mille runs 0-60 in about 2.8 secs and 1/4 mile in around 9.5 so it will always pull any decent length straight until you top out. On non-motorway cross-country roads in the UK the bike wins hands down, simply because you're never really running in excess of 140 mph unless its 4am and the roads are completely empty
Thank you for your insight. It is nice to hear from someone with the experience to back up the words
Old 10-02-2003, 06:32 AM
Fozzy
Instructor

Lou - its a pleasure. The comparison between the a powerful bike and a porsche is a permanent fascination - I'm surprised that there aren't more people who run both, given the obvious passion that rennlisters show for their machines and performance. I've only noticed KPV's TT and 998.

Last edited by Fozzy; 10-02-2003 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:34 PM
LSM
Racer

Lou - its a pleasure. The comparison between the a powerful bike and a porsche is a permanent fascination - I'm surprised that there aren't more people who run both, given the obvious passion that rennlisters show for their machines and performance. I've only noticed KPV's TT and 998.
When I was in college 91-95, I owned a 900RR, (fireblade to you ). As I got older and living in the City, I saw to many people get hit and hurt so I decided I needed to stop riding. The last bike I owned was a 1996 900RR. They are unbelievable machines and great fun. Take care.

-Lou
Old 10-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Iloveheat
Advanced

Great movie, great ride.... but I don't buy the Malaysia thing.... Anyway we are three Italian guys with three 996 turbo and we use a closed circuit in the Bahamas....

Last edited by Iloveheat; 10-02-2003 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Iloveheat
Advanced

Great movie, great ride.... but I don't buy the Malaysia thing.... Anyway we are three Italian guys with three 996 turbo and we use a closed circuit in the Bahamas....
Paul.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Absolutely, it all depends on straights-to-corners ratio of were you are racing. A car such as a GT2 can carry so much more curve speed that is can make up all the acceleration advantage of the bike if there is sufficient corners involved, like a twisty mountain road. But in an open road the GT2 has no advantage unless you can sustain average speeds above 150mph. I think the nurburgring is the perfect example of the in-between point, since a GT2 is pretty much tied to a Gixxer 1000 there (unless the track is very cold which would favor the greater contact patchs of the car), a slower track than that will favor the GT2, a faster track will favor the bike unless its faster than the bikes top speed (180mph for the gixxer). Also driver factor is important because its much more difficult to drive the bike to the same limit as the car, so the bike will require much more expertise to be driven fast. Not to mention that the biker is less likely to risk as much as the car in street racing and more likely leave a greater safety buffer in its driving due to its inherent dangers: the bike is not as forgiving and a mistake on a bike is more likely to turn into a crash and also if you crash you are more likely to sustain greater physical damage.

But if we are just talking about a straight acceleration race, then don't even give it a second thought, the differences in acceleration from a GSX-R1000 to a GT2 or modded TT is ridiculous up until you begin to reach the Gixxer's top speed (the drag increases exponentially with speed so it becomes a much greater factor than power-weight hence the car's greater power regardless of the weight is able to overcome the drag easier and still keep pulling above the bike's top speed). To ilustrate the differences in acceleration, a GSX-R1000 will pull over a second on a Ferrari Enzo on a 0-200Kmh race for example. Or in the same time the GT2 does 0-60mph, the gixxer will go from 60mph to 120mph. Then again the GSX-R1000 is currently the fastest street bike around a racetrack. So it all depends to which bike, which car, which drivers and which type of road or race...
Old 10-04-2003, 11:58 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

carlos and fozzy sure confirm my experience. altho' we have discussed this before:

here in malibu all the boy racers and temporary americans bring their bike rods up on the weekend. sometimes it sets up where they want to show me their brilliance when i'm toodling about in the gt2.

running from the bottom of stunt road up from mulholland one day a swarm attacked me. they could stay with me and had speed in the open sweepers. when we went into the uphill "slambacks" or chicanes, suddenly there were no bikes in my mirror. never saw them again even with 3 more miles of open sweepers. bikes don't corner at speed. good dragsters tho'; amazingly fast in a straight line -- but so what you're basically a human bullet about to slam a wall.... risk profile of biking is unacceptable.

here we are "Top of the World"

and every weekend, the ambulance come to Malibu and takes home the dead and the wounded superbikers, AKA temporary Americans...

Last edited by Sun Ra; 03-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:29 AM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ran with a Suzuki GSX-R1000 for about 15 miles on Highway 1. With my stock suspension (993 Turbo R) we were about the same on the curves (he was doing 45 degrees or better). On the straights, we were about the same over 80 MPH. When we stopped to talk, we both felt that the car and the bike were nearly the same over the 15 miles. I was running 100 octane at the time. He was a very good rider.

In my experience, a Ruf Turbo R will accelerate as fast or faster then most street bikes over 80 MPH. Bikes are fast in the quarter because their 0-60 times are so fast.

BTW, the Ruf Turbo R does almost 130 MPH in the quarter. The Ruf CTR 2 and R Turbo 550 HP are even faster.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:51 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Bill, I agree in reference to 600cc yes, 750cc not likely but close, but there is no way you can keep up with the current 1000cc inline-4's (especially the gixxer1000) bellow 150mph in a straight line like at 80mph. I'm not saying you didn't that day, I'm just saying that the bike was not being used to its full potential. To give you an idea of how the gixxer can accelerate from 80mph up, the gixxer at 80mph is only in first gear and hasn't even changer to second gear yet! and in second gear the bike accelerates so fast you hardly can keep the front wheel on the ground at wide open throttle all the way up to 120mph when you switch to third gear. Imagine a 1200HP 996TT accelerating in second gear and thats how it will feel since its would need that much HP to match the bikes power/weight ratio.

Another thing is that may have happenend is that while the bike is so incredible fast in acceleration, it can't lay all that power down when exiting a corner and needs to be fully upright to accelerate at WOT, thats why a rool-on start drag race is one thing and comparing acceleartion coming out of a corner is another, while still very fast its not as fast. The bike when tilted into a turn has a small contact patch the size of a cigarette pack and the suspension geometry is altered because the wheels are not perpendicular to the ground like a car's, so the inercia pulling outward can cause the rear wheel to loose traction under acceleration coming out of the corner much more easily than in a car (not to mention that its much harder to control), especially on such powerful bikes where you have to really concentrate on the throttle control, my rear has slidded coming out of a turn even with the added rear weight of a passenger without even trying too hard.

Quick Reply: Yamaha vs Porsche