Sponsored by:

Aquamist system

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 03:31 PM
cobra06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aquamist system

I think it's time for a water alcohol system, Anyone familiar with the Aquamist system, know if the boost operated works well or should I go with the PWM system that gets a signal from the injectors.
Aquamist
Old 09-21-2003, 05:51 PM
cobra06
Pro

Chad
My reasoning/plan, which may be flawed, is to up boost using my boost controller, and possibly meter down the toluene or 104 mix. Weight of a tank of HOH+methanol should be ~15 lbs, system in itself is minimal. I"m really interested to see what it can do as far as EGT and any gains. Some guys that use them say the methanol mix is like a shot of nitrous, I tend to think that may be wishful thinking, but it certainly should ward off detonation at higher boost levels and drop EGT. I know Bell is not too hot on injection systems, but it seems like a worthwhile experiment.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:56 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually I am still playing with it. Everything so far looks good, but we slowed the release for anything because of the mounting. I wanted something that was near brain less to install. After about 6 relocations we found something we like. Now for the mounts....
Old 09-21-2003, 09:28 PM
cobra06
Pro

Stephen, is this something you're going to sell in the future?.
I would rather go with a system that's TT friendly and compatible.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:34 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

We hope to offer it sooner than later. You know how projects go. The more I am busy the more the projects get slowed down. I believe that we should have the mounting kit available shortly. The kit as a whole is available now with out all the install stuff. It just is not friendly as of yet. The y pipe is to soft to drill and tap for the injectors and the intercooler side is to shallow. We hope to machine billet rings that overlay the original snap fittings and carry the injectors there. That way it becomes a unsnap and resnap job rather than weld, drill, tap etc.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:39 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Our placement was wrong. It took some friends in high places to confirm the overall stability of the boost/MAT sensor to make this work right. Placement ended up in the oddest places. Porsche development did have some testing and confirmed this was the better route. When the car is near stock or running lean, say someone did turbos and no programming it helps. When the system is stretched it does some good. When it is all finished I will post the dynos for you. The project has taken so long that I have just kept quiet. We have changed settings, placement, etc a gillizon times. The final placement will be done at the intercooler neck and the beginning of the y pipe.I know this sounds nuts, but without the acknowledgment of the computer with the intake temp drop there is little to no benefit. The computer will not see any temp change and therefore everything had to be moved farther up the system. The application will determine the overall gains. Not sure what it will do for a stocker, but I will have all the data long before it would be marketed. As of the moment I know it will work for some, I just don't know to what extreme up or down yet...I will keep you posted if you still are interested.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:53 AM
cobra06
Pro

Stephen, what signal are you using to turn on the injectors/pump?.
I guess the distance from the IC neck to the TB doesn't affect the size of the atomized droplets?, or is that worked out with the size of the injector?.
Do you have to use a dual pump system because of the distance from the water source (boot) to the engine deck?
Old 09-22-2003, 11:15 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Chad,
The only issue we initially had was that the wastegates had to be set back due to the adjustments the map made. If you can envision several maps on the active system the unit when it saw the temp drop through the computer sent the maps to the most aggressive band. I was closing the the throttle body. EGTs dropped significantly and the car was happy. Before that it was not enough for the 02 to pick up the difference and the car made little adjustment. The interesting thing was that if it was 100 the physical side of theory applied full force as the system would natural become efficient regardless of the computer. The less the temp the less the physical side could overcome the adjustments of the computer. By moving the system behind the MAT the computer now had a clear view of what was going on and could and would adjust intelligently.

David,
We are using a 2bar map and tach signal. We then feed it in to a control unit that can tune the VE curve. The box is some what of an AIC if you will. I would like to have a laptop driven AIC for this, but one thing at a time.

The distance does effect the size of the droplets, but that is adjusted through the injector size. I run a total of 4 injectors. We also do use a dual pump, the solenoids are closest to the injectors and also act as a check valve from the long run from the trunk. The system has to be purged on the initial install. After that the high speed injectors should allow all the air to stay out of the system.

Quick Reply: Aquamist system