Sponsored by:

Rattle in the passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:39 AM
saline
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle in the passenger door

I'm trying to chase down a rattle in my passenger-side door panel. I saw a YouTube video how to remove the - albeit the driver-side - door panel, but the way the actuator cable was fixed in place was with a wire tie. Mine is a white clip, which looks like a bit more quality solution. The first question is how do I remove it? It looks like I just pull it away and it snaps out of the black clip that is circled in the pic attached. I don't want to force it, but I want to confirm that that is all I need to do so I can slide the actuator cable out of its connection and remove the door panel.

I don't see anything immediate in this section of the door. I need to do a better job of checking once I'm able to remove the door panel completely. But, the second question is are there any hints on removing the membrane between the outside portion of the door and the inside portion of the door? Is it reusable?
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Yes, the white clip is snapped in place. You can unsnap it to remove it but you can also disengage the cable by working the S shaped hook that is just to the right of it in your photo by working the back plastic grommet out of its mounting hole.

To remove the membrane gentle pull it from the door using a wide plastic putty knife so it doesn't tear. It is held in place by gum adhesive. Just press the membrane back onto it to reinstall.

Lastly your rattle is most likely caused by one of the screws that secures the speaker box in the lower half of the door. Check them all. The box extend nearly the entire length of the door.

Also by chance is your car a 2001 or 2002?
Old 09-13-2015, 01:16 PM
saline
Advanced

Thanks. I'll go do that right now. It is a 2004 TT cab.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:32 PM
saline
Advanced

The speaker box screws are tight - at least from the outside. I don't have time today, but I'll have to pull the membrane. I took it for a drive with the panel out, and it's not the panel, or the way it is fastened unfortunately. I did notice that if I took sharp turns, left or right, it seemed to not rattle, so I'm guessing it's something hanging there. It also doesn't matter whether the window is up or down, so I think that's good news.

BTW, there is an easy way to disconnect the door lock. If you look at the pic below, if you spread the white legs out, as shown in the two blue arrows, that clip slides back and you can maneuver the bent pin out. I don't recommend trying to lever out the neck of the white clip from the black holder.

Also, the YouTube video is quite different than what I have in my car, aside from this clip. The YouTube video tells you to take the out the light in the door and the air bag emblem to access screws behind there. It also points to a screw in the map holder compartment. None of these three are in my car, and there is nothing for them to screw into behind the panel.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rattle in the passenger door