self driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:35 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
I'd like it for those long boring stretches we get our here in the wild west. Kind of like cruise control on steroids. But, like cruise control, the human has to get the final say in switching it on or off...T
The experts are saying that for the foreseeable future autonomous cars will require a human to take control from time to time. So you will still have the final say.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
That is great for you but it has no bearing on my opinion.
You can obviously take it or leave it, but being interested in the way the general population drives should be a concern for everyone. Technology that isn't fool proof, and also encourages drivers to pay less attention, is IMO not a good thing.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The average autonomous car will be safer than the average human Bozo driving out there now.
That has yet to be proven.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:39 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Default self driving

The experts are saying that for the foreseeable future autonomous cars will require a human to take control from time to time. So you will still have the final say.
I'd expect that for the immediate future. Further down the line, who knows?
T
Old 09-10-2015, 06:42 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone that thinks this and other very intrusive mandatory requirements aren't coming obviously do not read the news.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
You can obviously take it or leave it, but being interested in the way the general population drives should be a concern for everyone. Technology that isn't fool proof, and also encourages drivers to pay less attention, is IMO not a good thing.
You must not be aware how poorly the average driver pays attention now. Even slightly flawed autonomous technology will be a vast improvement. It will save many lives.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Talking

That has yet to be proven.
It has been proven. Do a little research on the miles driven by experimental autonomous vehicles and the number of accidents and severity of them they were involved in. Then look at the autonomous vehicle tech the military is implementing.

I have been following this technology closely and it has lead me to make a substantial investment in an autonomous vehicle tech company.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
I'd expect that for the immediate future. Further down the line, who knows?
T
Further down the line we will be dead or so old we will need an autonomous car to be able to get around.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You must not be aware how poorly the average driver pays attention now.
The "safety" technology, and autonomously driven vehicles, will only make it worse.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The "safety" technology, and autonomously driven vehicles, will only make it worse.
So what? The cars will be doing the driving for the Bozos.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:56 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

And the non bozos wont have the right/pleasure to drive their own vehicle and I personally do not care that I will be dead= it still pisses me of.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmc1148
And the non bozos wont have the right/pleasure to drive their own vehicle and I personally do not care that I will be dead= it still pisses me of.
That is not going to happen in our lifetime. If someone owns a car that is not autonomous and you have a driver's license you be able to drive it yourself on the roads. The autonomy tech companies are already preparing their systems to deal with cars still driven by humans. Full mandatory autonomy is many decades away. It will not **** you off because you and I will most likely be dead. And the fact that you and I are dead will **** me off way more than mandatory autonomy.

There will be far more disruptive social changes in that time frame that will **** you off way more. Trust me.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:13 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Carlo from location Nearby Randy from Kirkwood Pa just disagrees with you.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It has been proven.
It has not been proven on a large scale.

I have been following this technology closely and it has lead me to make a substantial investment in an autonomous vehicle tech company.
I also follow this technology closely, because the biggest issue in the end will be an overreach by government; mandatory use of these vehicles (if not everywhere, then certainly in metropolitan areas). This will be couched as the government managing "safety", when in fact it is none of their business. The erosion of freedom will continue. The dumbing down of citizens will continue.

Of course the legal issues are also very important, as the determination of who is liable when there are accidents (and there will be) will have to be determined. Will it be the occupant of the vehicle, or will it be the manufacturer? Will the government be liable when the GPS constellation doesn't provide the required ANP performance? If the occupant of the vehicle is judged liable and charged (it could be a charge of vehicular homicide if there is a fatality) then people will start taking more interest in what the vehicle is doing to avoid these risks, instead of watching TV, goofing off, or being hammered (there can't be any driving under the influence when you aren't actually driving the vehicle). If they are therefore going to pay attention, then why not actually drive the vehicle themselves?
Old 09-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Further down the line we will be dead...
You must not have kids.

Quick Reply: self driving