Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic Car Insurance - how many of you use it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 05:28 PM
split71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Car Insurance - how many of you use it?

I'm looking into Hagerty or LelandWest for my 996, anybody use either of these for their 996tt specifically? I don't spend a lot of seat time in the 996, figured cheaper insurance with a declared value would be a nice peace of mind.

What kind of rates are you paying and what value have you declared on your turbo? I know this is subjective based on driving history, expected miles driven through the year, and other things.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Most ins comp will offer declared value, just find out before you insure.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:42 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 316 Posts

I pay like $80 a month to add my 996TT to my regular policy. I thought your car had to be 25 years old to get the classic insurance but I could definitely be wrong.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:06 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,591 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Hagerty offers collector car insurance in which age doesn't matter. I was going to sign up but couldn't because your daily driver needs to be only a few years old and my DD was beyond that range.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:43 PM
B--rad
8th Gear

Was wondering the same thing citizens gave us a great quote for a 2001 996 turbo full coverage but I have a felling that if it were to have even just a small accident they would just total it out.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:20 AM
johnlush
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my older cars insured thru American Modern and the rates are very reasonable with agreed value. I had my agent quote the 2003 996TT and was surprised at how much they wanted - almost $900/yr. I checked with State Farm who I have my daily driver with and they came in at ~$500/year. The only concern is that there is no provision for agreed value so in the case of a total loss I'd probably have a fight on my hands. I'm hoping that never happens...
Old 09-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I went with Hagerty's. Pricing for my 2 Porsches dropped substantially vs all of the more traditional carriers I looked into. Declared value all the way.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:29 PM
split71
Racer

Originally Posted by Atrox
Most ins comp will offer declared value, just find out before you insure.
Can you do this retroactively? I'll have to call my insurance company and find out..

Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
I went with Hagerty's. Pricing for my 2 Porsches dropped substantially vs all of the more traditional carriers I looked into. Declared value all the way.
This is what I was hoping for. Do you have a traditional insurance provider for a daily driver to satisfy the Hagerty requirement?
Old 09-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by split71
This is what I was hoping for. Do you have a traditional insurance provider for a daily driver to satisfy the Hagerty requirement?
Yes Hagerty's won't insure a daily driver. So I have that car on its own policy. They also need you to show that as they want to make sure what they insure is not driven daily. I had been on Gieco with my Porsches, not the cheapest I know....and I was flabbergasted at the Hagerty's quote. 12 month with Hag was less than 6 months with Gieco of the 2 Porsche's.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:03 PM
mxracer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just made the switch to Hagerty's today as well.

This thread actually got me looking and it turns out it's cheaper than USAA as well, which is hard to beat. I also now have actual value coverage at $50K so I can rest a little easier in the event of a big issue.

The other benefits like guaranteed flat bed service, spare parts coverage, repair shop of my choice etc. are a nice bonus as well.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone that has had a claim with Hagerty's on how it was.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:44 PM
split71
Racer

Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
Yes Hagerty's won't insure a daily driver. So I have that car on its own policy. They also need you to show that as they want to make sure what they insure is not driven daily. I had been on Gieco with my Porsches, not the cheapest I know....and I was flabbergasted at the Hagerty's quote. 12 month with Hag was less than 6 months with Gieco of the 2 Porsche's.
Ok, I have a daily driver other than the Pcar. So that's good .

Gonna call them next week and get some quotes.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:50 PM
hodie21
Instructor

Something to remember on declared value insurance.

Read your policy carefully. Sometime there is language where they still will only give you the acv (actual cash value) for your car.

Not sure about Hagerty. For a 40k declared value they were at about $1200 a year on the 996tt I was looking at.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:40 PM
split71
Racer

Originally Posted by hodie21
Something to remember on declared value insurance.

Read your policy carefully. Sometime there is language where they still will only give you the acv (actual cash value) for your car.

Not sure about Hagerty. For a 40k declared value they were at about $1200 a year on the 996tt I was looking at.
Good to know, thanks for the advice.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:44 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mxracer
I just made the switch to Hagerty's today as well.

This thread actually got me looking and it turns out it's cheaper than USAA as well, which is hard to beat. I also now have actual value coverage at $50K so I can rest a little easier in the event of a big issue.

The other benefits like guaranteed flat bed service, spare parts coverage, repair shop of my choice etc. are a nice bonus as well.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone that has had a claim with Hagerty's on how it was.
Just found this thread. I had a claim with Hagerty several years ago on an older 911. Not only did they handle it to perfection, they seemed concerned that I was 'made whole' in the process. They have a customer-for-life with me now.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,591 Likes on 1,640 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by split71
Ok, I have a daily driver other than the Pcar. So that's good .

Gonna call them next week and get some quotes.
Be aware your DD has to be a relatively new vehicle.

Quick Reply: Classic Car Insurance - how many of you use it?