Sponsored by:

Subwoofer question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 09:54 PM
ER996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer question

I posted this on the 996 board, but I know that there are some audiophiles here who might be able to give me advice....

I'm going to add a sub to the system on my '03 996 coupe this weekend. The current system is great and was installed by Paris Audio. I tried to save money and wait on the sub, but as Paris and others said, it was only a matter of time... My main need is for clean, tight bottom for rock, jazz and hip hop when listening to music at moderate levels, which is my most common use. Rock at very high volume sounds pretty good right now. Rock at low to mid-volume is clean, but really weak on the bottom. Hip hop at any volume is no good right now. Jazz - bass is just not there enough.

Paris is going to do the install - for those with some experience in this, could you please tell me:

1. Placement of subs - I'm considering (i) passenger footwell, (ii) under rear seats, or (iii) behind the rear seats on the shelf. I don't want to put it under the rear seats since it will use up too much space that I want to retain for my briefcase, the odd passenger, etc. Behind the rear seats seems like the choice of most here but it is the most expensive choice and it seems like you loose some rear storage space. Can anyone tell me whether there is much of a difference between placing the sub in the passenger footwell versus behind the rear seats? (putting aside the size of the speaker - see below).

2. Size of subs - I'm on a budget and cannot install a pair of 10" killers. Within my price range, the question is: one 8" or two 5"s? The large Focal woofers Paris previously installed make me lean towards the 8" sub simply because it seems like the biggest difference - but maybe it's not all about size... Paris tells me indeed that says a pair of 5"s really work great in this car. They like a pair of 8" better which will be great if I can do the rear shelf box placement.

3. Amp - I have a very good 4-channel now. I can either upgrade to a 5-channel or add a modestly priced 2-channel. Which would be better?

I know these questions are detailed and I don't want to start a flaming debate (aw heck, sure I do). There seem to be a number of people highly qualified at answering this and I'd really like to hear before I go in and spend my hard earned cash on this.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer question