Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 02:45 PM
coffeehead
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seeking previous owner of my car

I just bought this!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20010000-Por...7#full-history

The owner said that he bought it from a rennlister about a year ago, and it would be great to get a little more history. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:23 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

All it took was a quick search. Here you go.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-000-00-a.html
Old 08-29-2015, 08:55 PM
coffeehead
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
All it took was a quick search. Here you go.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-000-00-a.html
You are the man!
Old 08-29-2015, 10:18 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes it was for sale here until recently.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:45 PM
split71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Came from SoCal before it went to FL.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:44 PM
coffeehead
Instructor

Originally Posted by split71
Came from SoCal before it went to FL.
I wish it were still in SoCal; I'd be driving it this weekend

Thanks for the leads. There are plenty of threads about it here and on 6speed that will make nice additional documentation to the stacks of receipts that I got with it.

Ppi went well, and GMG had good things to say.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:11 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i remember the CA owner of the car from online interactions mostly from 6spd and he was knowledgable and diligent in his care for the car ( as near as i could tell from online chats(?) though, as evidenced by the parts and who ( the shop ) he chose to work on his car. though well modded, i'm certain its worth every dime the current owner's asking.

only question i would have: why the quick turn from the recent purchase and trip to FLA from CA!

that car should've stayed in CA lol
Old 08-30-2015, 03:20 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ My question exactly but believe after seeing quite a bit of short ownership that its from disappointment with car once in possession because of- condition- complexity in repairs-no real budget for repairs. This is an opinion.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:59 PM
coffeehead
Instructor

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i remember the CA owner of the car from online interactions mostly from 6spd and he was knowledgable and diligent in his care for the car ( as near as i could tell from online chats(?) though, as evidenced by the parts and who ( the shop ) he chose to work on his car. though well modded, i'm certain its worth every dime the current owner's asking.

only question i would have: why the quick turn from the recent purchase and trip to FLA from CA!

that car should've stayed in CA lol
I thought the same, but the guy who bought it fits an enthusiast profile I've encountered before. He's a younger guy, and cars are more of a lifestyle accessory. He's starting med school, and said the car would just be sitting.

He mentioned a list of neat cars he's had including an Exige, a Viper, etc. He also mentioned that this car was surprisingly quick, even compared with the Viper (Mambo edition.)

I had the ppi done at German Excellence, which is clearly a solid indy shop.

Reading through the threads it's not clear what's been done with tuning and fueling- it has a GIAC tune, but they aren't clear whether it's a k16 tune, a tune for X50, or? I presume GIAC wouldn't do anything with a 5 bar fpr or different injectors, so there's probably some power left in there...

I just can't wait to get the thing! I've got an LSD out of a 997.2 sitting on a shelf waiting patiently to be a part of the rwd conversion...
Old 08-30-2015, 11:26 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by coffeehead
Reading through the threads it's not clear what's been done with tuning and fueling- it has a GIAC tune, but they aren't clear whether it's a k16 tune, a tune for X50, or? I presume GIAC wouldn't do anything with a 5 bar fpr or different injectors, so there's probably some power left in there...

I just can't wait to get the thing! I've got an LSD out of a 997.2 sitting on a shelf waiting patiently to be a part of the rwd conversion...
you're scoring a helluva car, is my hunch, so congrats on that! but to your point re giac and a 5bar, i'm of a different mind, in that i can easily see a giac tune mapped for use with a 5bar with stock injectors. in fact, my guess would be that setup would even be more common than adding injectors if just "mid level" power levels are sought which is what it appears he has minimally gone for. e.g. my cargraphic is setup for a 5bar and its suited my needs for years without issues. his car appears to have just been flashed with k24's and exhaust. so he's not going to be widely beyond a flashed x50's car's hp number and he's also awd so you're right some power is being left behind in that driveline.

it's got some pretty cool stuff on it if the mods are to your linking. he definitely "personalized" it! ( the tune ( its ok ) the cargraphic exhaust is a bonus! again, decently cool stuff but i'd read up on safety stuff with the rotec carbon seats? ) and it sounds like you'll know exactly what to do with it esp once you turn it into a *proper* turbo with the addition of an lsd! i know nothing about the 97.2 that you have but have heard that the majority of porsche gt2/3 lsd's have a rep for being sort of underwhelming and not fully up to snuff? ( theyre not cup car level stuff i dont think..), but again, i know nothing lol i have but a lowly wavetrac and it has brutally transformed my car in a blissfully joyful way. this car should always have been 2wd in my opinion. if it's usually dry out, i mean

but back to your point. there's tons of power left on the table you can add with just a cpl more bolt ons without unduly stressing the internals. i'm sure that once you own the car for a minute, your own personalization will begin!

enjoy it, i think you scored. lets hope!.. cheers.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:39 PM
coffeehead
Instructor

Definitely concerned about knockoff seat safety...I'll find an original set sooner or later once the bank account has recovered from the purchase.

I'll likely tone down the visuals a bit to look more stock GT2/club sport-like.

As for the LSD, I think everybody has been scared by some vendors (who make awesome stuff, BTW, and do a great job supporting the community) into expensive upgrades by using the static breakaway torque test which indicates nothing about how the diff works when it's loaded. I get it, but don't agree. Porsche diffs are better than many give them credit for. When mine is really worn out, I'll send it to those guys for a nice upgrade just like everyone else does.

I did find a thread stating that the ECU came out of someone else's car. Does that mean that the immobilizer has been defeated? If so, it would be great to get another ecu and work on a more modern tune like what epl or others are doing now.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:40 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

As for the LSD, I think everybody has been scared by some vendors (who make awesome stuff, BTW, and do a great job supporting the community) into expensive upgrades by using the static breakaway torque test which indicates nothing about how the diff works when it's loaded. I get it, but don't agree. Porsche diffs are better than many give them credit for. .
i only know from what my tech's say about the oem 96 gt2/3 lsd's and most that are "serious" wont use other than guard or maybe a giken, but for my purposes the wavetrac could not be beat. there is no tail wag, it does not open diff under hard braking, and locks the wheels as any plate type lsd does. it just uses gears, is all and is guaranteed for life not to break. seriously.

they first didn't want to install it, and had some serious disdain/skepticism when i asked them to install it with a g'box refresh. once they did and figured out the gear lash specs they were astonished at how well it suited my 550/575 rwhp car. i wouldn't trade it for anything, but then i didn't have an oem lsd just sitting around pre purchase.

and yeah, i'd bail on those rotecs! gl with it, and enjoy. ps bank account never recovers, as there is no end to the parts wanted or needed, as you know
Old 09-03-2015, 08:37 AM
coffeehead
Instructor

ps bank account never recovers, as there is no end to the parts wanted or needed, as you know
That's why I bought a car that's mostly there...there's not as much to do. I know that for collectibility (sp?) I should have bought a low-mile stock car, but I just can't leave my stuff alone. I'm figuring that with mods sticking pretty close to the factory GT2 and the provenance of the car having been mostly put together by GMG Racing, it should keep its value and (maybe) appreciate in the coming years for the right group of buyers.

Total life cycle cost for my last 911 was near zero, other than consumables and insurance.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:13 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

That's why I bought a car that's mostly there...there's not as much to do. I know that for collectibility (sp?) I should have bought a low-mile stock car, but I just can't leave my stuff alone.
me either. i've had a low mileage stock x5o tt and the tracked setup tt i have now. i'd take the one i have over the other "museum piece" any day. plus pebble dings dont send me into fits of tears over "my baby" taking a chip lol.

drive the sh*t out of it, thats what that guy "built" it for. now its your turn.

cheers.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:41 PM
coffeehead
Instructor

me either. i've had a low mileage stock x5o tt and the tracked setup tt i have now. i'd take the one i have over the other "museum piece" any day. plus pebble dings dont send me into fits of tears over "my baby" taking a chip lol.

drive the sh*t out of it, thats what that guy "built" it for. now its your turn.

cheers.
A well-patina'd, meticulously-maintained car beats a q-tip-tired concourse queen any day of the week.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Seeking previous owner of my car