996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car with very recent Type 2 over rev in history

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015 | 09:28 AM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

I have 1700 range 2 and 1400 were from a shift 1st to 2nd where I got my foot stuck and ended in neutral (twice)... datalogs showed 7300 rpm and 7340 rpms.....
Old 07-15-2015 | 10:34 AM
ANJ-911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vendetta NY
It means there were 317 ignitions above 7,250RPM. Let's assume for discussion's sake that the ignitions happened at 7,300rpm. The formula I've seen used here (but of course I can't find it now) is:
7,300 / 60 = .008RPS(econd), and there are two ignitions per revolution so
(317 * .008) / 2 = 1.26 seconds worth of ignition in range 2.

Not a lot at all, unless it was that one money shift.

Mine had 323 ignitions in range 2 when I purchased it. But, there were like 20 hours on the clock since the last event. I'm pretty confident I've added a few more since.

Good luck, OP. Personally, I'd let the car age a few more hours and have it looked at, just for peace of mind. But I wouldn't be surprised when they find nothing.

-V
Gotcha thanks for clarifying, as I thought about it more I figured it may have something to do with the number of ignition cycles in that range.

I agree it would be wise for the OP to have the car run for a few more hours before purchasing based on the reading.
Old 07-16-2015 | 12:21 AM
jeffmeunier
Track Day

Some updates from my original post, for the benefit of the group.

- in a case of rare dealer candor, they did share with me that it was a customer test drive with a bad downshift.

- PPI so far has been good. Doing a compression test next , but for different reasons too. Some go fast parts (aftermarket diverter valves) are a sign someone has had this engine performing beyond stock at some point in its life.

- the car is actually getting some drive time, since there has been some back and forth between my PPI shop and the dealer for various reasons, and they are not close together. Will help in this case.

The compression test is pricey on this car, so hopefully no surprises. Crossing fingers...
Old 07-16-2015 | 08:23 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jeffmeunier
S
- in a case of rare dealer candor, they did share with me that it was a customer test drive with a bad downshift.
Money shift right there, I'd give this a big miss.
Old 07-16-2015 | 09:36 AM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Yeah if this has been done on a test drive... wtf was the driver doing that he needed to downshift at or near red line... seems like a hoon and probably from the dealership...

if it were someone driving like I do where they are deliberate and conscious in their aggression then that may be different

to see if it is still tuned just get a test drive and put her in 3rd and floor it and see what the boost gauge says
Old 07-16-2015 | 12:08 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Tux: I think he means he selected the wrong gear, usually downshifting from 5 to 4 and got 2.
OP: Diverter valves is a normal upgrade btw and not just for performance.
Old 07-16-2015 | 12:09 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

oh and compression test is pretty easy on these cars btw. what are they charging you?
Old 07-16-2015 | 12:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Some updates from my original post, for the benefit of the group.

- PPI so far has been good. Doing a compression test next , but for different reasons too. Some go fast parts (aftermarket diverter valves) are a sign someone has had this engine performing beyond stock at some point in its life.

- the car is actually getting some drive time, since there has been some back and forth between my PPI shop and the dealer for various reasons, and they are not close together. Will help in this case.

The compression test is pricey on this car, so hopefully no surprises. Crossing fingers...
Compression test a waste of money. The DME as the engine runs constantly monitors engine "compression", individual cylinder performance, the contribution each cylinder makes to the speed of the flywheel.

If the DME detects an under (or over) performing cylinder it logs a misfire error code and turns on the CEL.

With a suitably long and varied test ride/drive the DME will have had time to not only confirm the various sensors are working properly but that there are no misfires. Thus the compression (and other things -- like a malfunctioning low/high lift system that can also trigger misfires) is ok.

For now. The concern is the after effects from the over revs take time to manifest themselves.

It is always the call of the one thinking of buying the car but with an admittedly "money shift" having been done recently on this engine I'd give it a miss.

The first rule of used car buying is there is always another car.
Old 07-17-2015 | 09:12 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

what did i tell ya lol. always a test drive or a svc manager goofing around.
Old 07-20-2015 | 04:35 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I believe all the experts agree that they would like to see 50 hours on the vehicle since the last type 2 over rev
Old 07-29-2015 | 12:12 AM
jeffmeunier
Track Day

Default Thanks all!

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

- Car purchased in Peoria IL, happened to find Michael Benet at Kauth and Mayeur to do the PPI. They were very communicative, took a step by step approach, and ultimately recommended the compression test over the leakdown for both checkout given the EVOMS diverter valves and the type 2 overrev issue. No issues found, compression 200psi on all cylinders, and nothing else on ECU log.

- Paid $528 for the compression test. Had them change the plugs at the same time.

- Due to the distance between dealer and shop, probably got a couple hours of driving in before purchase.

I did decide to pull the trigger on it, an '03 with 22k mi is hard to pass up, and it was immaculate inside. Car showed like it was cared for really well. Will keep an eye on it, cross fingers, and hope for good outcome. Probably have 15 hours on it so far with no noises or lights.

Only issues so far have been the giant grin on my face, that starts to hurt after a while!

Thanks again, will update group with any relevant follow-up.

-- Jeff
Old 07-29-2015 | 12:24 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

How do you get a Type 2 at 704.7hrs but not get a Type 1 at the same time? It shows a Type 1 at 375.9hrs. Obviously you have to get a type 1 just prior to a type 2.

My DME info below actually shows the same thing. Doesn't make much sense... No missed shifts btw.

Type 1: 3240/152.9hr
Type 2: 961/223.8hr
Hour counter: 225.3hr
Old 07-29-2015 | 02:47 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

It's worth mentioning that typically the valve springs are what take the brunt of a mild overrev (to throw a number out, maybe 7800-8000). The heat caused by the rapid cycling weakens them, the eventual failure/symptom of which is valve float at high RPM or high manifold pressures which causes a misfire. This would not usually show up on a compression test.

I agree with powdrhound that it's odd for the car to show a recent Type 2 but not a Type 1, since it counts all hits into the range. I see a lot of 'glitches'; like on 997s (which have 6 ranges) you'll sometimes seen hits in ranges 4 or 5, but fewer than 5 or 10 of them in each of the upper ranges. If you factor in the inertia of the engine components and the time it would take in the range to accumulate such a small number of hits, it works out to be at least unlikely, if not impossible that the engine actually ran at that RPM.

I've wondered if those false hits are caused by false crank trigger readings while starting or stalling the car--like if a missing tooth passes the crank angle sensor briefly, then knocks backwards causing a momentary reading of very high RPM as the engine is coming to a stop.

Sam
Old 07-29-2015 | 04:29 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

EVOMS and powderhound - I log with my Eurodyne maestro logging cable/software and it shows my

1840 type 2 overrevs, last at 1018 hours
x,000 type 1 overrevs, last at 828 hours......

so I assume that I have 1840 more type 1's as well because my software logs them separately
Old 07-29-2015 | 06:22 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EVOMS
It's worth mentioning that typically the valve springs are what take the brunt of a mild overrev (to throw a number out, maybe 7800-8000). The heat caused by the rapid cycling weakens them, the eventual failure/symptom of which is valve float at high RPM or high manifold pressures which causes a misfire. This would not usually show up on a compression test.

I agree with powdrhound that it's odd for the car to show a recent Type 2 but not a Type 1, since it counts all hits into the range. I see a lot of 'glitches'; like on 997s (which have 6 ranges) you'll sometimes seen hits in ranges 4 or 5, but fewer than 5 or 10 of them in each of the upper ranges. If you factor in the inertia of the engine components and the time it would take in the range to accumulate such a small number of hits, it works out to be at least unlikely, if not impossible that the engine actually ran at that RPM.

I've wondered if those false hits are caused by false crank trigger readings while starting or stalling the car--like if a missing tooth passes the crank angle sensor briefly, then knocks backwards causing a momentary reading of very high RPM as the engine is coming to a stop.

Sam
Interesting that it can record starting and stalling as over revs, l wonder how many cars have been affected by this. So the over revs aren't very accurate, not by a long shot

Quick Reply: Car with very recent Type 2 over rev in history