Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you buy a warranty on a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:52 PM
nli10d
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you buy a warranty on a 996?

Had a PPI done on an '03 Turbo and it turned up overrev's 3hrs ago and two faults p1648 and p1250. The tech said it stilled checked out still (porsche dealer ppi) but it's possible the dealer has a relationship with the shop I'm buying the car from so it's possible there is a conflict of interest even though I'm not sure a porsche dealer would risk their reputation. There are nothing but good reviews on the place I'm looking to buy from but who knows. I do know the car has been at the dealer for a while (it seems like this high end dealer sometimes keeps inventory for a while in general) and maybe they want to move it. They offered to drop the agreed upon price (if it had passed the PPI) or offer a warranty. I'm waiting to hear back on who the warranty company would be and the details. That said, if I get the price dropped, has anyone purchased a warranty for their car? Maybe I take the discount and get my own warranty. I just have no clue if you can get one for a 2003 car still.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:03 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

there is no way a porsche dealership would ( on paper at least ) falsify ANYthing that might one day reflect upon them. remember that at the end of the day, they need to be and stay in good standing with PCNA or they are a porsche joint no more.

also, bear in mind, the "PPI"you had done is no more than their "cpo" checklist with the 200 or so check boxes and what not. it is comprehensive only insofar as it looks at everything "visible" and reports on same. the bad news is the things that'll lurk unseen in the background and that is what'll bite ya, and none of that will they be responsible for.

i would never ppi at a porsche dealership *unless* it was merely a function of the purchase when adding the "CPO" and its accompanying benefits to the sale of the car.
add: also that can't be done on a car over 7 years from first date of reg.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:08 PM
nli10d
Track Day

Yeah unfortunately car is 600 miles away and can't see it in person. Car looks like it was chipped which in and of itself isn't bad but the recent fault codes and overrev the issue. I wan't sure if you could even get a warranty on these cars any more and what you would need to get one. I'm assuming there really isn't any real warranty you can get at this point in it's life. I was thinking of taking the warranty and then bringing it to another shop and then doing a claim if they found an issue.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:11 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

ya cant do that! the date of your purchase of the car relative to the filing of the claim would nix that, i would think!?
Old 05-29-2015, 06:17 PM
nli10d
Track Day

Yes true
Old 05-29-2015, 07:09 PM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the total type 1 and type 2 revs? Some tunes increase the rev limiter allowing for more type 2 revs.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:30 PM
nli10d
Track Day

Here's the post specifically about the car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-to-buy-2.html
Old 05-29-2015, 10:31 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I guess you don't really want to listen to all of the advice on your other thread. Having a warranty won't make up for having a problem car.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:33 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Agree!
Old 05-30-2015, 12:23 AM
nli10d
Track Day

Ha...I hear you guys...I'm going to walk from it. They offered me a warranty which got me thinking whether you can even buy a warranty. Anyway, I do value all of the input on the forum and will be patient and not get emotional and wait for the right one with good documentation to come around. Man I really liked the interior with the white accents.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:27 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

just for reference. i bought a very high mileage turbo from a guy that tunes/mods/sells and drives them and has owned several. on a handshake he gave me a 90 day money back and replace ANYthing that went "warranty" on his own dime and rep, and i never got to test his sincerity

stuff didn't begin to wear out until really i hit 75-100k miles. then it's anything that wears out may need refreshing/replacing but then my car is mechanically more sound than many with but a fraction of the mileage as i currently have. but then, we haven't taken a look INside lol ! but i trust it's its usual teutonic reliable and well built if not well broken in self in there i've had 5 pcars and 4 911's and this one is as sturdy and robust as they come. as long as you CARE for them
Old 05-30-2015, 10:18 PM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

1) It is of course possible to purchase an extended warranty on a 2003 TT, and indeed, in my experience, it is extremely reasonable (I think I paid something less than $3K for a 3 yr/36K mile platinum warranty from Fidelity, which was arranged by the Porsche dealer from who I bought the car). Any good extended warranty will cover parts and labor; Fidelity is the one used by every Porsche dealer I've ever known, and I never have had any issues using them on my 996TT or my 997 C2.

2) It sounds like you basically got a clean bill of health on your car. I bought mine from a dealership who had serviced it for its whole life, and who performed a 60,000 mile service for free when I bought it, even though it was only at 20,000 miles. Any 12 year old car will have minor issues, but if you have a good warranty, you can sleep easy.

3) This isn't about Rennlist in particular, but people on internet message boards spend 90%+ of their time fear mongering and spreading unfounded rumors/hawking ineffective solutions (if you want a relevant example, witness the mass hysteria over the largely non-existent IMS issue on the regular 996 board, and the willingness people have to buy completely unproven fixes for the phantom problem; or go to any diet website and watch people diagnose non-existent issues like gluten allergies while haphazardly recommending ineffective and potentially quite harmful unregulated supplements as fixes).

There are plenty of 996 TTs out there, so you can afford to be a choosy buyer, and you shouldn't buy anything you're not comfortable with, but you also need to be realistic about buying a 12 year old car. You're getting somewhere between $60-80K off the original ticket price for a reason. For me, I bought the very best one I could fine, from an authorized dealer I trusted, with a full warranty. Even so, I've had a few minor issues I needed to sort (a new alternator and some rear spoiler issues - both covered in full by warranty without a problem). Don't let people online spook you out of something you otherwise feel good about, and don't feel like you need anyone else's approval (although in this case it sounds like you weren't comfortable to begin with, so you should probably walk away - like I said, you can/should be choosy).
Old 05-30-2015, 11:17 PM
nli10d
Track Day

The tech said the car was fine but the DME scan pulled up overrev's from just 3 hours ago including those faults. I do have to say the fact that the tech really didn't focus on the faults leads me to be suspicious at least about the quality of the ppi. The dealer selling the car offered a third party warranty for 90 days / 4k miles but was wondering if I take up his alternate offer of a bit of money off the car and buying my own warranty. I like the car but debating this vs going for another. Regardless there were a number of stage 2 overrev's and may be safer to buy something with a cleaner history. I may just take out a warranty on whatever I get anyway...3k for 3 yrs seems like good risk reward. What kind of deductible with your warranty?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:04 AM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

It's $50, I think. Something inconsequential. Honestly, I would have taken on a larger deductible if there had been a significant price delta (there wasn't), because I mostly worry about major issues (something above $2,000 or so).

The only expensive repair I had done under the warranty was to the rear spoiler, but if it hadn't been covered, I just would have bought one of those kits to keep it permanently raised for $150 and been done with it. The warranty is really more for peace of mind than it is an economically prudent investment. Those companies know a lot more about risk management than we do and they wouldn't sell 'em if they weren't making a ton on them.

Quick Reply: Can you buy a warranty on a 996?