Old 05-20-2015, 01:36 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Yes indeed!

Originally Posted by 993GT
exactly
oddly the 996TT tiptronic my dad just bought had a complete engine replacement a couple years ago due to timing chain failure...fully dealer serviced at recommended intervals, that tiptronic must have been responsible with those racecar shifts
My engine was rebuilt just after I bought it, I blew a turbo and during the ensuing health check discovered a deep gouge in the wall of cylinder #6: New liner for cylinder #6, rings all round, all bearings and chains and valve guides. So based on a sample of one, the reliability is not very good

On the plus side, I have a pretty good engine and got a pair of hybrids and a 1.1bar remap while I was at it.

Last edited by mcbit; 05-20-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:44 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe there are better cars to do major mods/track with then the GT2s as few were built and when they are gone they are gone = to me personally every car counts. I know few people have that outlook/opinion and I respect that= but that's mine. Also in the future there will be 996t rollers for sale a plenty as most just follow the leader with mods never really considering possible costs/outcome= just another opinion.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:58 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 569 Likes on 351 Posts

I plan on doing better connecting rods and refreshing chains(and maybe IMS) and oil pump at some point, shallow pockets here but a good long-term investment...excellent design, some component downfalls...likely the turbo compressor wheel caused the #6 scar, eh?
Originally Posted by mcbit

My engine was rebuilt just after I bought it, I blew a turbo ad during the ensuing health discovered a deep gouge in the wall of cylinder #6: New line for cylinder #6, rings all round, all bearings and chains and valve guides. So based on a sample of one, the reliability is not very good

On the plus side, I have a pretty good engine and got a pair of hybrids and a 1.1bar remap while I was at it.
Yes and no, I understand your perspective but the GT2 valuation still works. When you understand how many different parts a GT2 has from a 996TT it may make financial sense....smart track-only guy buys a 6Cup or other options...although track-heavy GT2's are certainly pulling great value
I also understand the production number thing, there are many bastardized and wrecked GT2's, mine is neither; I also apply the same thought to 996TT, and every 911. Look at the 930 market, they made the same ~# of 930's as 996tt's...I track value/talk/advise with a lot of people regarding 6GT2's...
If you have questions regarding 6GT2's, what works/sells/desired/etc., feel free to PM.

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I believe there are better cars to do major mods/track with then the GT2s as few were built and when they are gone they are gone = to me personally every car counts. I know few people have that outlook/opinion and I respect that= but that's mine. Also in the future there will be 996t rollers for sale a plenty as most just follow the leader with mods never really considering possible costs/outcome= just another opinion.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:15 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Rob its not about the value of the car when it comes to limited production such as the 6GT2s but about keeping them in one piece and original= just an opinion. For some reason your not getting what I'm saying but I believe most others are.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:28 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

I'm not grasping your point...I understand originality affecting value, or...
If I bolt my stock wheels and obvious suspension bits on, what's to say it isn't 'as delivered'?...either way, GT2's don't get their value from bolt-ons/stock per se, undamaged tubs/clean bodywork/ known history are the main players...There's plenty of museum examples.
How do you know you don't have an undeclared rebuilt engine/trans/etc...

Also, I want to enjoy the car I love. I work hard for it, it 'works' hard for me. If it's worth $0 in 50 years or so when I'm old-don't care...if you want it now, $150k USD.

Rob its not about the value of the car when it comes to limited production such as the 6GT2s but about keeping them in one piece and original= just an opinion. For some reason your not getting what I'm saying but I believe most others are.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:41 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Again Rob its not about you personally or your car individually but keeping cars such as yours original and in one piece= the track is not the place to keep it in one piece. I'm happy your happy with your car and its your right to use it as you please but this is a forum for opinions discussions so I gave an opinion nothing more. Once again its not about worth/value. I had the same thought as you when I beat my 1969 428cj into the ground= what a waste. Time will tell the story.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:57 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

No worries Randy,
Just don't want the wrong presumptions made...mine is very well cared for/kept-up and loved; was from the start and very apparent since my ownership, simple as that. You have to understand some of the 'nice' cars I see/work on....
Also the experience TT vs GT2/3 is very different; TT's are very nice touring/GT and show cars(think 928), GT's are really made for 'use', like a 930
Cheers,
Rob
Old 05-20-2015, 03:04 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

I know that your well skilled mechanically and I would never doubt its upkeep.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:08 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Then we have no issues man. Get out and enjoy the cars; warm them up and cool them down

I know that your well skilled mechanically and I would never doubt its upkeep.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:07 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
On cold starts I idle the car until the air pump shuts off, then drive away keeping the RPM under 3000 until the engine and transmission are warmed up. I idle cool for ~2 minutes before shutdown. I don't run the engine while filling up with gas.
^this. When I go to the dealer for oil changes, I let it idle to cool down as I sign in. The tech who checked me in said, "Thank you, not many people realize you need to let the turbos cool down."

Quick Reply: 996tt - Warm up & Cool down question ?